Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts

INSURANCE DESIGNED FOR RIDESHARING
Introducing Rideshare Insurance from Farmers

Farmers Insurance, one of the nation's largest personal auto insurers, is now offering new rideshare coverage designed specifically for driver partners in California.
What Does Farmers Rideshare Coverage Include?
While Uber already holds auto liability insurance for you during the time you are logged onto the app but not on a trip, the new Farmers Rideshare product gives you the choice to meet your own individual needs by selecting your own coverage limits and additional coverages -- like comprehensive and collision, which protect against damage to your vehicle -- during this same period.
How Does It Work?
It's simple.extends a traditional Farmers auto policy so its coverage limits and any additional optional coverages you have apply while you're logged onto the app are are waiting to accept a trip request.
Only Pay for the Coverage You Need

How Much Does It Cost?
According to Farmers, the coverage will cost just 8% more than a traditional Farmers insurance personal auto policy. This is a small amount of additional premium for customizable coverage and your own peace of mind.
How Can I Learn More?
For more information, contact your Farmers agent or click here.

Uber on !

Your Uber California Team
You are not required to purchase a rideshare endorsement to operate on the Uber system. Uber maintains a policy (through Rasier-CA LLC and underwritten by James River Insurance Company) that covers your liability for the operation of a motor vehicle while logged into the Uber Partner app at the amounts required by California law. The policy maintained by Uber does NOT include 1st party coverages (for example, comprehensive, collision, uninsured motorist or medical payments) when you are logged on to the Uber Partner app but not yet matched with a rider.
Uber Technologies Inc., 1455 Market Street San Francisco, CA 94103

Get Help Unsubscribe

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Farmers knows that is not a Rideshare gig, what Uber drivers are doing is FHV/Taxi work, but Farmers greed and a small nudge $$$$ by Uber got the wheels rolling on this fraud.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are not required to purchase a rideshare endorsement to operate on the Uber system. Uber maintains a policy (through Rasier-CA LLC and underwritten by James River Insurance Company) that covers your liability for the operation of a motor vehicle while logged into the Uber Partner app at the amounts required by California law.
But AFAIK, the Liability coverage during the Gap Period provided by Uber's James is Contingent Insurance, not Primary Insurance as required by AB 2293.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Got a quote from my Farmers agent yesterday for liability only on my personal car. The agent explained that the policy would be categorized as some sort of "use for work" policy and not just a personal policy with a ride share endorsement When the figures cam in, they were about 23% higher than my personal policy. As a caveat, I have very few miles of commuting declared on my personal policy.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
Got a quote from my Farmers agent yesterday for liability olnly on my personal car. The agent explained that the policy would be categorized as some sort of "use for work" policy and not just a personal policy with a ride share endorsement When the figures cam in, they were about 23% higher than my personal policy. As a caveat, I have very few miles of commuting declared on my personal policy.
That's not so bad, considering commercial insurance would be 200% more than your current policy.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
A couple of issues that need to be sorted out by getting more quotes:
The policy is not a "preferred customer" personal policy with light use being declared, but some sort of second tier business use or higher risk category. Then maybe Farmers adds 8% to it.
Secondly, I have declared extremely low commute mileage and so I get the best premium available. The commercial policy probably takes into account the necessary higher personal miles associated with .

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
A couple of issues that need to be sorted out by getting more quotes:
The policy is not a "preferred customer" personal policy with light use being declared, but some sort of second tier business use or higher risk category. Then maybe Farmers adds 8% to it.
Secondly, I have declared extremely low commute mileage and so I get the best premium available. The commercial policy probably takes into account the necessary higher personal miles associated with .
With the Farmers policy all discounts you have with them now go away. The policy is issued by Farmers Speciality Insurance group.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Working from Farmers, it will cost 8% more than your personal auto policy. So, what your personal auto policy rate for Farmers is, add 8%. In CA, the big factor is the mileage... If your car is rated for only going 4,000 miles a year, but then you change your policy to ride sharing, you are going to have your insurance cost go up because you are adding more mileage and the rideshare endorsement. Where as if your policy was rated at 13000 miles, it would cost 8% more than what you would be currently paying.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got a quote from a farmers agent. Normal personal auto policy with 18K miles is 860 for 6 months. To add rideshare they insure through Specialty and the base rate was quoted at $1220 and with rideshare endorsement that went to $1314. This is around a 65% increase not the 8% they are touting. Be warned.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
According to the email from Uber on Farmers Insurance, posted by arto71 above:
You are not required to purchase a rideshare endorsement to operate on the Uber system. Uber maintains a policy (through Rasier-CA LLC and underwritten by James River Insurance Company) that covers your liability for the operation of a motor vehicle while logged into the Uber Partner app at the amounts required by California law.
Here is the CPUC Enforcement of California Law AB 2293:

Period 1: App open - waiting for a match.

• Period 1 - TNCs shall provide primary insurance in the amount of at least fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) for death and personal injury per person, one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) for death and personal injury per incident, and thirty thousand dollars ($30,000) for property damage.TNCs may satisfy this requirement through: (a) TNC insurance maintained by the driver; (b) TNC insurance maintained by the TNC that provides coverage if a driver does not maintain the required TNC insurance, or if the driver's TNC insurance ceases to exist or is cancelled; or (c) a combination of (a) and (b).
But AFAIK, Uber's Period 1 California Insurance is still Secondary & Contingent.
http://blog.uber.com/uberXridesharinginsurance

Product Azure Font Multimedia Electronic device

Can someone please email Uber to seek an explanation from Uber if it's changed it's Period 1 Gap Insurance coverage from Secondary & Contingent to Primary Insurance Coverage in California to satisfy the requirements of AB 2293?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts