Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've received notification from Department of Veteran's Affairs of increased travel allowances for using private vehicle for doctor's appointments etc to 34.1c per km.
I cant help wondering if I'm underestimating my vehicle costs for Uber at 20c per km.
DVA are not renowned for being particularly generous so if 34.1c per km is closer to the true cost of running a small vehicle then if I include dead kilometres and other costs then I'm only breaking even working for Uber.
I like to think I'm still making a little bit but the longer I do this the more I have my doubts.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
For my Subaru

I calculate off:
400k life span
310k on the clock

= 90k remaining
at 1k a week it will last me 90 weeks.

I bought the vehicle for 5k.

So:
5000/90 = $55 every 1000 KMS I travel or even better every 1KM = 5.5C.

Anyways for 1000KMS:
  • $55 depreciation
  • $20 maintenance and repairs
  • $70 GST
  • $70 fuel
So approx $215 in expenses per 1000KMs or better yet 21.c per KM.

Not that bad TBH.

·
Registered
859 Posts
A few observations with ur numbers that are not typical I would suggest:
1) GST normally excluded as costs calcd after GST
2) what about insurance/rego tyres compliance costs etc
3) don't believe those fuel costs esp on a AWD/ancient suburu, more likely 10l/100km.Yes low capital costs so well done but the downside has to be higher fuel and operating costs (and a shitbox of a car )
4) you've been lucky with the repair costs and should expect a few major incidents over 90 week period
For what its worth my costs for a 18mth old HRV are 16c/km, much nicer (and safer) to be in for 30hrs/week.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
A few observations with ur numbers that are not typical I would suggest:
1) GST normally excluded as costs calcd after GST
2) what about insurance/rego tyres compliance costs etc
3) don't believe those fuel costs esp on a AWD/ancient suburu, more likely 10l/100km.Yes low capital costs so well done but the downside has to be higher fuel and operating costs (and a shitbox of a car )
4) you've been lucky with the repair costs and should expect a few major incidents over 90 week period
For what its worth my costs for a 18mth old HRV are 16c/km, much nicer (and safer) to be in for 30hrs/week.
GST, rego, insurance, licence fees, etc are not car running costs. Tyres are.

I agree that the fuel costs look on the low side. $20/week certainly won't cover major repairs in the next 90K clicks.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I disagree given that I get my servicing and maintenance done privately.

$20 a week is $1000 a year.

I pay in alcohol when I get my car services (much of which I already have because at uni I worked at a bottle shop)

So allowing for spare parts..

I think I’m fine.

I pay approx. $80-90 in fuel per week. Last week I think was a touch under $90 for my $1200 payout.

To me GSt is a cost. I don’t issue tax invoices therefore it is a cost. I do whatever I can do reduce the cost of GST – therefore deducting all the rubbish I buy etc. Because until there is a tax invoice it is a cost.

Tyres are probably the one thing I didn’t factor in.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I pay in alcohol when I get my car services (much of which I already have because at uni I worked at a bottle shop)

I think I'm fine.

I pay approx. $80-90 in fuel per week. Last week I think was a touch under $90 for my $1200 payout.

To me GSt is a cost. I don't issue tax invoices therefore it is a cost. I do whatever I can do reduce the cost of GST - therefore deducting all the rubbish I buy etc. Because until there is a tax invoice it is a cost.

Tyres are probably the one thing I didn't factor in.
I noticed in my last email from uber under the subtitle "how to improve your ratings" uber is suggesting we give out not only water and mints, but, believe it or not, snacks. Maybe we should be keeping receipts for every maccas, pizza, chocolate bar and chips/biscuits and claim the lot....lol

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I noticed in my last email from uber under the subtitle "how to improve your ratings" uber is suggesting we give out not only water and mints, but, believe it or not, snacks. Maybe we should be keeping receipts for every maccas, pizza, chocolate bar and chips/biscuits and claim the lot....lol
Are you saying you don't do that already?

If I buy a pizza (rarely as bit of a health freak) - I ALWAYS deduct half of it saying that is for pax.

Subway 6 inch sub (its for pax).
30 cans of coke when I go fishing/camping - 100% for pax.
4wd Magazine or Newspapers - 100% for pax

We pay a portion of GSt we aren't suppose to pay so it is only fair.

The tax system is rigged to hurt those who work the hardest.

Income tax is a disgrace.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts

You certainly don't have a standard arrangement, so people shouldn't be looking at your figures as an indication of what it'll cost them to keep their car on the road. If something major like a timing belt failure happened, you could fix it yourself and still perform routine maintenance for the year for under $1K? I really don't think so!
I don't think someone's being honest (anyone surprised?). You claim to drive a Subaru Outback and are paying $70/1000 km. Even assuming freeway fuel consumption rates, the best any 2008 Outback is rated for is ~7.5L/100 km. Any experienced Uber driver knows that a busy weekend most certainly isn't all freeway driving.
To me GSt is a cost. I don't issue tax invoices therefore it is a cost. I do whatever I can do reduce the cost of GST - therefore deducting all the rubbish I buy etc. Because until there is a tax invoice it is a cost.
GST is indeed a business expense (a tax expense to be precise), but there's no way it's a car running cost.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Is anyone else thinking that there's no way this guy is an accountant? If he really is, I'd certainly never let him near my books!

·
Registered
859 Posts
And dishonest/without ethics and exhibits characteristics of an ostrich ie deducting meals as a tax expense as if these are for passengers and rationalising that's all fine.
For others on the forum, this is not allowed under the tax laws, period.
For Mr Tino or whatever his name is, u shld be very concerned about the data mining ability of the ATO and heavy penalties of tax fraud (you are well past the tax non compliance thresholds.)
Case in point I picked up an extremely competetent tax accountant who confirmed the powers and recent activity of the ato (as well as some interesting small business tax deprec workings that I intend to pursue with that firm)

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You certainly don't have a standard arrangement, so people shouldn't be looking at your figures as an indication of what it'll cost them to keep their car on the road. If something major like a timing belt failure happened, you could fix it yourself and still perform routine maintenance for the year for under $1K? I really don't think so!
Probably not - but after 1 year of driving, no timing belt as happened yet. I paid 4k for this car, has cost me about $20 so far outside of fuel.

I don't think someone's being honest (anyone surprised?). You claim to drive a Subaru Outback and are paying $70/1000 km. Even assuming freeway fuel consumption rates, the best any 2008 Outback is rated for is ~7.5L/100 km. Any experienced Uber driver knows that a busy weekend most certainly isn't all freeway driving.
I was handing you my costs. It isn't up to me to make you believe it.

Plus I get up to 10% of my fares in cancellations during the week. Last weeks fares, I had $90+ in cancellations all of which happened Friday Night/Saturday Night. So I'm getting an extra $6.40 for small trips quite regularly on weekends.

GST is indeed a business expense (a tax expense to be precise), but there's no way it's a car running cost.
My car is my business. My business is my car. I look at every dollar I earn as a dollar against my car/business.

If I decrease my fuel costs, it helps my $$ per KM go up, therefore it helps my business as much as it helps me earn more $$ per KM I drive - there is a correlation to the DPN.

I love Uber. You can all winge about rates but the truth is the rates are perfect. I think there is an argument to cut them further to 80c if you're a full timer to encourage people to get full time jobs.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
And dishonest/without ethics and exhibits characteristics of an ostrich ie deducting meals as a tax expense as if these are for passengers and rationalising that's all fine.

For Mr Tino or whatever his name is, u shld be very concerned about the data mining ability of the ATO and heavy penalties of tax fraud (you are well past the tax non compliance thresholds.)

Case in point I picked up an extremely competetent tax accountant who confirmed the powers and recent activity of the ato (as well as some interesting small business tax deprec workings that I intend to pursue with that firm)
I enjoy giving good customer service, if that means giving my PAX meals so be it. Who are you to tell me what I can and cannot do with the hobby I play with.

Mr. Tino is very aware of what the ATO can and cannot get me for. I was audited December last year - if you have a receipt, you can prove it wasn't deducted or reimbursed and there is rationalisation behind it you are fine. It is not up to the ATO to tell me how to run my small business, it is up to me.

I am also not a tax accountant but everybody knows of the accelerated small business tax depn, glad you are brought into the 21st century. Was the most popular thing for countrymen in the 2013 budget lol.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Bingo. This is an expense that is private or domestic in nature, and therefore not generally an allowable deduction.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Bingo. This is an expense that is private or domestic in nature, and therefore not generally an allowable deduction.
It isn't domestic or private.
I am offering complementary free food, nibbles and other in order to get good ratings in return.
I am allowed to deduct the portion of the purchase which is not for me. That is 100% of all purchases, if they choose to give me a slice of pizza (am I really to say no?)
Just like the fools who buy pax mints and water.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re the "complimentary food"
1) that's bullcrap and we all know it, no pax will accept left over pizza unless they are starving refugees/hobos
2) stuff all nexus to the tax law of requiring expenses to be DIRECTLY attributable to the derivation of income

In another thread recently I recall Potsy providing advice from the ATO disallowing similar claims from truckies. Stop spreading such mistruths.

Best u cut out the bullcrap and disingenuous postings (blatant lies in case that word is too complex for you)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re the "complimentary food"
1) that's bullcrap and we all know it, no pax will accept left over pizza unless they are starving refugees/hobos
2) stuff all nexus to the tax law of requiring expenses to be DIRECTLY attributable to the derivation of income

In another thread recently I recall Potsy providing advice from the ATO disallowing similar claims from truckies. Stop spreading such mistruths.

Best u cut out the bullcrap and disingenuous postings (blatant lies in case that word is too complex for you)
Hmmm....your a bit misguided there. Your referring to someone else I think.

·
Registered
859 Posts
But we're not either of them.... Closest we are would be a taxi driver.

Looking at the truck/bus rules they can claim ~$95/day for meals, as part of being away overnight. But a 10+ hours shift isn't being away overnight. If working locally, they can claim a single meal only if overtime is worked.

The ATO also says this for truck drivers "Generally, meals, snacks and drinks you buy and consume while on the job are considered to be a private expense for which you cannot claim a deduction."

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/...-expenses/?page=5#Short_haul_or_local_drivers
Sorry Potsy, that woke u up:)
This was from a Melbourne forum and the link to the ATO confirming their disallowance of what are clearly private expenses.

·
Premium Member
4,880 Posts
Glad you're at it again: I have even included for you that sick date I was talking about so I could uber all day Friday.
View attachment 53915

Not an accountant just a disgruntled taxi driver

View attachment 53921
Didn't get paid the week before? The hourly rate ($173.08 / 7.6 = $22.77 / hr) and tax taken (15.72%) would indicate a taxable income of precisely $45,000.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.