Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I know a lot of you out there are either focusing on downtown, the west end and/or the all mighty shitter - but what about the Durham Region? Anyone regularly work UBER or LYFT from Pickering > Bowmanville?

This whole area is not only unregulated but seems under-represented here on the forums, but on the app there are always between 4-8 drivers in Oshawa.

Just wondering if anyone has extensive experience driving out here and what it’s like being busy, what locations are go-to hot spots and what type of rides are mostly had here.

Thank you in advance everyone.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I only drive early mornings and/or late night. Unfortunately during those hours anything out of the downtown core is a hit and miss

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only drive early mornings and/or late night. Unfortunately during those hours anything out of the downtown core is a hit and miss
I'll be driving casually for both on my weekends after everyone goes to bed - so between 12am-4am Friday's and Saturday's. Might do some early mornings too once the kids are dropped off at school.

Maybe with school back on, high school kids will be needing or getting lifts to school or people late for work in the city at that time too?

Won't be able to do toronto after DEC01 unless I get winters by then.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'll be driving casually for both on my weekends after everyone goes to bed - so between 12am-4am Friday's and Saturday's. Might do some early mornings too once the kids are dropped off at school.

Maybe with school back on, high school kids will be needing or getting lifts to school or people late for work in the city at that time too?

This post belongs in the I m so cheap....I quit driving in the winter because I don't want to buy winter tires

·
Premium Member
8,723 Posts

You're not supposed to take riders under 18.

We have all done so of course ( at least by accident) but I would count on it for any business.

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're not supposed to take riders under 18.

We have all done so of course ( at least by accident) but I would count on it for any business.
That I did not know - good info right there. Thank you. With so many posts here of Uber users paying for friends/family rides, I figured parents would do the same for their kids on occasion.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
That I did not know - good info right there. Thank you. With so many posts here of Uber users paying for friends/family rides, I figured parents would do the same for their kids on occasion.
They do, all the time.

For me, if they are at least high school age, I don't give a damn. I have interior dashcam and I am not the age police. As long as Uber does not provide a "underage rider" option when cancelling that automatically provides a cancellation fee, I can't be bothered.

·
Premium Member
19,705 Posts
They do, all the time.

For me, if they are at least high school age, I don't give a damn. I have interior dashcam and I am not the age police. As long as Uber does not provide a "underage rider" option when cancelling that automatically provides a cancellation fee, I can't be bothered.
Or kids ditching school at lunch or last class.

·
Premium Member
6,574 Posts
Hey!

I know a lot of you out there are either focusing on downtown, the west end and/or the all mighty shitter - but what about the Durham Region?
From my own experience, Saturday nights are somewhat busy from Pickering to 'shwa, but the other days are only worth if your car is too old for Toronto, you have nothing productive to do and you wanna kill some time for peanuts.

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From my own experience, Saturday nights are somewhat busy from Pickering to 'shwa, but the other days are only worth if your car is too old for Toronto, you have nothing productive to do and you wanna kill some time for peanuts.
That's probably my bread and butter with ridesharing - Pickering to Oshawa. My first night plan is to be at the Whitby GO station and surrounding area every hour or so as trains arrive and do other rides in between. After the last train I'm probably going to cut through highway 2 from east to west until the night fizzles our at like 330am+. I'll work until 6am though just to gain the experience and feel for it all.

Hopefully UBER processes my application by Friday afternoon.

·
Registered
575 Posts

High school needing lifts- do you check their ID if they are over 18?

·
Premium Member
8,331 Posts
Oshawa is dead, like Uberchampion 's hair folicles.
Or LaudooPrasad Rocket

That's probably my bread and butter with ridesharing - Pickering to Oshawa. My first night plan is to be at the Whitby GO station and surrounding area every hour or so as trains arrive and do other rides in between. After the last train I'm probably going to cut through highway 2 from east to west until the night fizzles our at like 330am+. I'll work until 6am though just to gain the experience and feel for it all.

Hopefully UBER processes my application by Friday afternoon.
Oshawa GO is better. You get rides to bowmanville, Curtis even Lindsay.

Whitby GO pax stay in Whitby

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Here’s another question;

How do you, that drive for both UBER/LYFT, juggle between the two in one night? Is it just a matter of changing company stickers and turning off the one app and turning on the other?

Also, is there a time limit for needing to be available on the app? Like must be on for a minimum of one hour or can you literally just keep hopping back and forth between companies?

Very convenient that AVIVA covers both platforms.

·
Premium Member
19,705 Posts
Keep both stickers on if you want, why swap em? .... and yes turn on/off apps as you please... there is no limit how many times you can log in per day. But why turn it off at all?, if you want keep both on so that you don't miss a ping. Pax will either wait or cancel.

·
Premium Member
7,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Keep both stickers on if you want, why swap em? .... and yes turn on/off apps as you please... there is no limit how many times you can log in per day. But why turn it off at all?, if you want keep both on so that you don't miss a ping. Pax will either wait or cancel.
I only have one phone, but I'm also not sure if you can have both apps running at the same time. And even if you could, you'd be potentially riding under one sticker and constantly cancelling rides coming in from the other.

As for stickers I have none yet - using the temps I printed out and laminated for now. Driving to the hub is a mission so I'll go whenever it is I have to go.

1 - 20 of 353 Posts