Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I just got a text from Lyft with this information: https://dukeudriverguide.splashthat.com/

Has anyone been fined? Whose fining me? What authority does Duke university have to fine non employees / students?
I think they are actual law enforcement officers with jurisdiction for some distance off campus. Don't know if they can block your registration if you don't pay.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I read through all the links posted above :cool: Some highlights:

• The program has a grace period until Sept 18.
  • The most restrictive times are during games, and concert events at Baldwin Auditorium.
  • The rider app(s) will not allow a pax to request or place a pin outside of the designated areas, but will direct them to one of the designated areas.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I read through all the links posted above :cool: Some highlights:

• The program has a grace period until Sept 18.
  • The most restrictive times are during games, and concert events at Baldwin Auditorium.
  • The rider app(s) will not allow a pax to request or place a pin outside of the designated areas, but will direct them to one of the designated areas.
Only problem I see is that all those highlights are from the Duke University website. What Duke University expects Uber and Lyft to do, i.e. not allow a pin drop outside the designated areas, doesn't mean that is what will happen. Currently you can still set up a pick up from the "restricted zones", I have been able to set up a ride on both rider apps right at the Baldwin Auditorium entrance. I have a feeling Lyft is just going to expect the driver to know better which is why the sent the notice. If they were going to set it up where you wouldn't be able to pick up in those areas the I would expect the response sent to l3th4l to state that, not say "you'll have to let the rider know to go to the designated pick up location". My opinion, but I guess you'll have to see what happens when September 18th rolls around.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like how Uber has been completely silent on this issue. No point in bothering online support, I guess I could bring up a stink to their green light hub...

I updated my Lyft ticket with a screenshot and asking them why this isn't a development issue.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I like how Uber has been completely silent on this issue. ...
Yep, I would up in Durham yesterday well after the game was over. Got an Uber ping to the designated "Pickup Location, Chapel Drive Circle, West Campus - Chapel Drive". Sure enough the pin is in the circle. I drive slowly around the circle looking down each road for any signs of pax. I stopped at the pin, in the circle between Wannamaker and Chapel drive, to try and text the passenger. Just before the 5min timer was up, pax walks up behind me. He was a little perturbed, but not arrogant, for not being able to move his pick-up location to the front of Duke Chapel. I told him about the new "policy" and showed him the memo we got from Lyft, explaining the $250 fines, etc. I told him we had not heard a peep about this from Uber, but obviously they have integrated the technology to keep pax from ordering rides outside of the designated areas. The pax were alumni, in their late 40s who had attended the game.

He and his wife were cool about the whole ordeal, but he still was not happy. He said he would write the Dean, and board of Trustees with this dissatisfaction with the new policy. It was OK for me, a nice long ride back to Raleigh, with a cash tip!

·
Registered
689 Posts
My understanding is it is all the time, but I gather the enforcement will be lax when there are not events. That said, the ride just before this was a pick up on Edens Drive, at what I guess are residence halls, just behind the same Chapel Circle. My guess is the student pick-up was not near one of the restricted areas (Duke Chapel) and the pax could drop the pin right at her dorm?

·
Registered
385 Posts
So when will Duke and Uber tell the passengers about this? Its causing problems for the drivers because we are being routed to these new zones, but passengers seem to be unaware of the new policy and are constantly 1/4 mile or more away from the pickup location. Often times they expect us to wait while they walk across campus to get to us.

Beyond frustrating.

·
Registered
689 Posts
So when will Duke and Uber tell the passengers about this? Its causing problems for the drivers because we are being routed to these new zones, but passengers seem to be unaware of the new policy and are constantly 1/4 mile or more away from the pickup location. Often times they expect us to wait while they walk across campus to get to us.

Beyond frustrating.
Hey, they posted on their website, that's good enough for everyone, right?!?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.