Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove a really drunk couple home from Itasca to Park Ridge last night around midnight. They were both friendly until I was about 3 miles from their house and the girl started yelling at me saying I was going the wrong way. "Turn around! Turn around! Do you even know where you are going? Did you even put in the address?" I said, "No, you put it in. I'm 4 minutes from your house, you want me to go back the other way??" The guy said, "No, you are going the right way. Don't listen to her." I kept driving and she kept yelling at me and her bf. I said, "You are distracting my driving. If you yell again I will pull over and make you get out and file a complaint and call the police. You decide." She was quiet for a minute and started in again, but they were only a mile from home so I kept going only because I felt bad for the guy and he slipped me a $20. What is the protocol for kicking a pax out? What if she were alone? Should I pull over and call the police? I don't understand why people have to act like such a-holes when I'm trying to get them home safe. I'm done driving after 11:30 PM forever. Not worth the aggravation.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I drove a really drunk couple home from Itasca to Park Ridge last night around midnight. They were both friendly until I was about 3 miles from their house and the girl started yelling at me saying I was going the wrong way. "Turn around! Turn around! Do you even know where you are going? Did you even put in the address?" I said, "No, you put it in. I'm 4 minutes from your house, you want me to go back the other way??" The guy said, "No, you are going the right way. Don't listen to her." I kept driving and she kept yelling at me and her bf. I said, "You are distracting my driving. If you yell again I will pull over and make you get out and file a complaint and call the police. You decide." She was quiet for a minute and started in again, but they were only a mile from home so I kept going only because I felt bad for the guy and he slipped me a $20. What is the protocol for kicking a pax out? What if she were alone? Should I pull over and call the police? I don't understand why people have to act like such a-holes when I'm trying to get them home safe. I'm done driving after 11:30 PM forever. Not worth the aggravation.
You should have a dash cam to record shit like that and the protocol for tossing someone is whatever the **** you think is right! it's your car!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should have a dash cam to record shit like that and the protocol for tossing someone is whatever the &%[email protected]!* you think is right! it's your car!
A dash cam is a great idea. Pepper spray is a good idea too in case of assault. Next time a passenger acts like that I plan on driving to the nearest police station and dropping them off. However, the best defense is to never drive late at night again. It is not worth it to be treated like that when providing a public service getting drunk people home safely and making our roads safer. Uber would have to really up their pay to get me out after 11 pm on the weekend ever again.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Tommy San, thanks to you and other drivers who have shared their "drunk passenger" experiences, I've never driven at night on weekends. Sometimes I'm tempted to, just to see if they tip better. But then I see another thread like this one, which squashes that temptation.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Pull to a curb and tell the pax to "get out this ride is over". Don't argue or explain. Tell them to get out again or you're calling 911. Pick up your phone, if they haven't gotten out yet, dial 911 and press send. They always get out by then or when they hear the operators voice..once 911 answers explain you're an uber driver with a pax that won't get out...or one that won't wake up....or if the pax did get out. It's simple.

Btw, pepper spray is a weapon....if you use it it will be the last ride you ever give.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull to a curb and tell the pax to "get out this ride is over". Don't argue or explain. Tell them to get out again or you're calling 911. Pick up your phone, if they haven't gotten out yet, dial 911 and press send. They always get out by then or when they hear the operators voice..once 911 answers explain you're an uber driver with a pax that won't get out...or one that won't wake up....or if the pax did get out. It's simple.

Btw, pepper spray is a weapon....if you use it it will be the last ride you ever give.
Why would it be the last ride I ever give? When Benjamin Golden (ex Taco Bell exec) was caught on tape attacking an Uber driver, the driver used pepper spray to defend himself. I didn't hear anything about him getting deactivated for it. I understand no firearms, but pepper spray is totally legit.

·
Registered
192 Posts
you should stop and call 911 and tell them your story...
also you should report her to uber , we dont need drunk idiots...
i think if you stop and wait for police and report her , she will spent next few hours in difrent place than her bed...

i`m driving only night hours ( liked empty roads ) but if i see very drunk pax or pax argue at beginning like last night ( one drunk women try to get to my car whit drink in hand and say this is coke) always cancell the trip and tell them "good luck whit another driver"

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why would it be the last ride I ever give? When Benjamin Golden (ex Taco Bell exec) was caught on tape attacking an Uber driver, the driver used pepper spray to defend himself. I didn't hear anything about him getting deactivated for it. I understand no firearms, but pepper spray is totally legit.
And there's also the fact that I'd rather protect myself from an assault than ever drive for Uber again anyway. If the choice is between getting assaulted and possibly really hurt, but "being able to continue to drive for Uber" and defending myself with pepper spray and avoiding the assault, I'd take the latter any day. In my research I have found nothing that says I can't carry pepper spray while driving for Uber. If I'm wrong, post the proof.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
After the ride always send a message to support explaining why you kicked the pax out...some pax could make false claims- so immediately after the ride do this.

You yourself can check the Uber and Lyft policy regarding weapons in your car or contact support. Very simple to do- since there is a just guessing going on here by other people posting. You didn't already do that.

Before spraying pepper spray in your own car...do some homework on how to remove it from your clothes and car interior should it happen. You already did that though. :) Weren't you surprised to find out the information when you read it??

What is the procedure after spraying anyone with pepper spray? To protect yourself from the law. You already did that though. :)

Have fun with your scenarios of what you would do in certain situations- not very well informed or thought out. :)
Drive a pax to a police station and drop them off there? So they can convict you of kidnapping and who knows what else- which is what you did. That's very smart!! :) Enjoy your time in prison.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had two incidents with Uber where I have had to put people out of my car. The first incident Uber completely deactivated the passenger. My second incident I just rated them a one star because he asked to smoke meth in my car and tried to lick me. Luckily it was a pool (the one time I was happy with pool) and when I arrived at the first passengers destination the pax said "oh I put in the wrong address" let me go to a busy street and put the other pax out of my car. When he got out the first pax in my backseat said he was ready to defend me that's why he didn't get out the car. Mind you I picked up the second crazy in Oak Brook.

If you feel unsafe call the police and put them out no questions asked. If you're just uncomfortable put them out and if they get crazy about getting out then call the police. If I was in the car by myself with the second pax and he was trying to lick me like that I'd of jumped out the car with my keys (because I keep my keys in my pocket and my car doesn't drive without my keys being inside the car) and called the police from the second phone I keep in my back pocket.

My first incident one of the passengers was in a group of drunk men and making sexual remarks to me. I reported the entirety of the ride to uber. I still got paid for the ride and the person who ordered the uber in the group was deactivated later that night.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After the ride always send a message to support explaining why you kicked the pax out...some pax could make false claims- so immediately after the ride do this.

You yourself can check the Uber and Lyft policy regarding weapons in your car or contact support. Very simple to do- since there is a just guessing going on here by other people posting. You didn't already do that.

Before spraying pepper spray in your own car...do some homework on how to remove it from your clothes and car interior should it happen. You already did that though. :) Weren't you surprised to find out the information when you read it??

What is the procedure after spraying anyone with pepper spray? To protect yourself from the law. You already did that though. :)

Have fun with your scenarios of what you would do in certain situations- not very well informed or thought out. :)
Drive a pax to a police station and drop them off there? So they can convict you of kidnapping and who knows what else- which is what you did. That's very smart!! :) Enjoy your time in prison.
Thanks for the advice, troll. You just seem to have all the answers and love to defend riders who don't tip. I now have a camera in my car, so they wouldn't be able to accuse me of anything. If a passenger was attacking you, how would you defend yourself? Go ahead and call 911 while you get beaten to a pulp and left on the side of the road. Frankly, I don't care what Uber's policy is or what the spray does to my car if it keeps me from bodily harm, if the threat of using it isn't enough. After the assaulter is disabled, then I call 911. I can always sue the pax for assault and battery to recoup cleaning costs. When Benjamin Golden attacked that Uber driver (all caught on tape), the Uber driver defended himself with pepper spray and it worked. If there is video proof, then the legal aspect is in the driver's favor, as it was with the Uber driver in that situation. Why shouldn't I be able to defend myself?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Jesus. The more time I spend on this site the more I'm thinking I bit off more than I can chew. Last night was my first night & everyone was great. A few were drunk & tipsy (& slammed my doors...a HUGE pet peeve of mine) but they were all really nice & I never felt unsafe or uneasy. I'm sure it's coming though since I'm planning on primarily driving weekend nights.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Jesus. The more time I spend on this site the more I'm thinking I bit off more than I can chew. Last night was my first night & everyone was great. A few were drunk & tipsy (& slammed my doors...a HUGE pet peeve of mine) but they were all really nice & I never felt unsafe or uneasy. I'm sure it's coming though since I'm planning on primarily driving weekend nights.
Yes, weekend nights are a double-edged sword. Generally stay busy and make decent money. Drunk people can be good tippers (when they do tip). But, you're bound to get the occasional group of obnoxious dudes hopping from party to party or bar to bar. And need to be vigilant for the over-inebriated on the verge of puking (I don't mean to be ageist but its always the young guys who've gone past that line). One of the best tips I got was to have some plastic bags in the car, just in case. Came very close once so far - made it to the guy's house and he puked in the his driveway immediately after getting out of my car.

·
Registered
97 Posts
haha...I actually order a pack of "barf bags" from Amazon yesterday, just in case! They'll be here tomorrow just in time for the weekend.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Last Saturday night I picked up two young women near Loyola U going to an address in the DePaul neighborhood. They appeared OK when they got in the car but 5 minutes later on Ashland Avenue one of them asked me to pull over on a side street because she was going to vomit. As she got out of the car, she tripped on the curb, fell face flat on the sidewalk and broke her nose----it was a bloody mess. She hit her head pretty hard on the sidewalk----not surprised if she also did not have a concussion. The other pax got out the car to check on her companion but was too drunk to stand up and was crawling on her hands and knees towards her friend. . She also started to throw up. I was tempted to finish the ride then and there but did not feel good about leaving these 2 incapacitated girls on the street at 3 AM. I called 911. CPD arrived in less than 10 minutes. CPD called an ambulance, thanked me, told me that they would handle it and so I left.

Felt bad about getting CPD involved but would have felt a lot worse if I had read the next day that they had been assaulted.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, weekend nights are a double-edged sword. Generally stay busy and make decent money. Drunk people can be good tippers (when they do tip). But, you're bound to get the occasional group of obnoxious dudes hopping from party to party or bar to bar. And need to be vigilant for the over-inebriated on the verge of puking (I don't mean to be ageist but its always the young guys who've gone past that line). One of the best tips I got was to have some plastic bags in the car, just in case. Came very close once so far - made it to the guy's house and he puked in the his driveway immediately after getting out of my car.
Yep. I make the most money on the weekends and usually the drunks are pretty cool. Last weekend had back to back ******bags. Rich drunk suburbanites making fun of me and my car. (2013 Chevy Cruze) Ahole me and my Chevy Cruze are getting you home in one piece. Then I had a bunch of young guys wanting to smoke in my car and being really inappropriate. After the double whammy I was ready to call it a night - but did really well that night too.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I head-out mid afternoons, ending my nites before midnight, and I have no desire to deal with the bar closing crowd. As it is, I start hitting drunken weekend passengers after 10p or so, but they only seem mildly to moderately intoxicated for the most part.

I don't have anything against drunks - it's their life and their business. I just don't want to deal with highly intoxicated individuals.

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
Learning my lesson. Last night about 1:30 am on the always delightful Huron in River North i picked up 4 that i should have seen it coming. Drunk, loud and obnoxious they got in my car. As i started trip i saw i was going 40 minutes to far south suburbs (great; so much for the all to brief surge) but at least this was 1.6x. They teased about how much i must hate being pulled from surge. I said often people understand we need to go back empty and help out with something extra at the end. That made them laugh. As we drove down Lower Wacker i heard a bit too much laughter in back and looked back to see a grown man standing on my back seat, entire body out my window waving ( at 50 mph as the guy up front was yelling go faster, faster). I slowed to 20 (couldn't stop on Lower Wacker) and told them get him back in the car now! One asksd but the ass didnt budge. I had to get off and eject the whole damb bunch at Harrison & Canal.

They started to refuse with one saying he'll be good now. The guy saying "dont be a dick i was just having fun. I dialed 911 on speaker and told them the passengers were not leaving as they cussed me out and then got out. Told 911 operator it was okay; and apologized for the call. She said i did the right thing and they will send a patrol car to the intersection to check on them.

Good thing we make $5 / hour to make it worth it!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts