Uber Drivers Forum banner

Driving VS Waiting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My first day of "Ubering" in Portland, OR was last Friday. it wasn't the best day ever, although I know it could be better with some good planning for the day.

I am little concern about the actual driving (With passengers) VS driving or waiting (Without passengers) Do you think 50/50 is a realistic estimation? If yes then to me, UBER Is a minimum wage job!

Example: Each hour may includes 30 Minutes of driving and 30 minutes of waiting.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Hey guys,

My first day of "Ubering" in Portland, OR was last Friday. it wasn't the best day ever, although I know it could be better with some good planning for the day.

I am little concern about the actual driving (With passengers) VS driving or waiting (Without passengers) Do you think 50/50 is a realistic estimation? If yes then to me, UBER Is a minimum wage job!

Example: Each hour may includes 30 Minutes of driving and 30 minutes of waiting.
You're also driving uninsured in Oregon. No matter what Uber says, you are not covered!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I didn't get your point.
The point is this; you hit me, and I'll take your house, your car, your dog, cat...and anything else of value. You're an uninsured motorists when you're cruising the streets of Portland "Ubering " The State has ruled, and you're in violation of that ruling. Just because Hales thinks it's "OK," means nothing

The way Uber/Lyft drivers are avoiding this situation is to keep the signs out of their window. But sooner or later, you'll have to place them in view. And when you do, "we" take a photo of your illegal livery service.

Clear enough?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crystal clear. Thanks for the valuable input. Although, I am not sure how this is related to my question.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First of all, welcome to the club! Don't worry about the internet troll, just ignore them.

To answer your question, it's all depend on your location and strategy. Even sometimes luck comes into play. If you're near hot spot areas, like downtown, you can basically drive all night with passengers in your car. When you're outside downtown area, in the suburbs, expect to wait a little longer before getting a ping. Most people will try to eliminate their dead miles (driving with no passenger), they would drop off a passenger and then wait for the next one. So what I would recommend, drive for a few days, figure out hot spot areas near you and come up with a strategy that would work best for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I'm lucky, where I live is a hot spot and don't forget in Florida this time of year you cant sit without the air conditioning on so car will be running. I found my living room a great spot to wait......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speedy, thanks a lot for enlightening me! That was quite useful. By the way, according to the humble feasibility study I've done. I'd be happy to drive with passengers for 4 hours on an 8 hours shift. I'm also down to drive dead miles as much as much as I drive active Miles. (Drive 10 Miles with passengers / Drive 10 miles with no passengers. Sounds realistic?

Python 134, Lucky you! I wish you the best.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
First of all, welcome to the club! Don't worry about the internet troll, just ignore them.

To answer your question, it's all depend on your location and strategy. Even sometimes luck comes into play. If you're near hot spot areas, like downtown, you can basically drive all night with passengers in your car. When you're outside downtown area, in the suburbs, expect to wait a little longer before getting a ping. Most people will try to eliminate their dead miles (driving with no passenger), they would drop off a passenger and then wait for the next one. So what I would recommend, drive for a few days, figure out hot spot areas near you and come up with a strategy that would work best for you. Good luck!
Two Uber "partners" driving in Portland are now involved in a major lawsuit because their insurance wouldn't/didn't offer coverage (even after Brook claimed all was good) after they were involve in traffic accidents.

Call me a troll if you like, but if you're driving in Oregon uninsured (which you are. No insurance company I can find will cover you if you're "Ubering"), you're playing with fire.

Do it if you like. Just be prepared to pay the $$$ consequence of having no coverage.

I've had one guy try to tell me Liberty Mutual covered him. I called Liberty and asked if they'd cover Uber/Lyft. The answer; "if you're doing rideshare in Oregon, we will cancel your policy " Same answer from Geico, Farmers, Allstate and Statefarm.

If you "rideshare" in Oregon, your personal policy is worthless.

No troll, just the facts. Provide me one company that will cover you. I'll check with them and post the results. Most drivers are NOT telling their agent what they're up too. Or...the other little trick is to leave the Uber/Lyft sticker out of the window.

Just remember....you ARE being photographed. :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Speedy, thanks a lot for enlightening me! That was quite useful. By the way, according to the humble feasibility study I've done. I'd be happy to drive with passengers for 4 hours on an 8 hours shift. I'm also down to drive dead miles as much as much as I drive active Miles. (Drive 10 Miles with passengers / Drive 10 miles with no passengers. Sounds realistic?

Python 134, Lucky you! I wish you the best.
If you do that, you're driving twice the distance for half the income of a cab.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts