Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Driving Uber with my Rolex on my wrist............

10K views 81 replies 40 participants last post by  psy88 
#1 · (Edited)
One of my hobbies and passions for years has been Swiss watches. Particularily Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Patek Philippe, etc. I own a number of them, and actively participate in a couple of watch forums on the internet, and it's always a jealous point of contention (particularily with Rolex) that the people who wear them do so because we are all insecure and attention seeking assholes. Well, I decided to test the theory of "product recognition" as I was driving Uber. So, I took a couple of my pieces out of my safe and started wearing them daily while driving.

Pics of the watches I used are attached. The gold one was not used in the survey as I had just sold it.

I would not have done this in LA or Chicago FWIW......LOL !! I am in Canada where we all say "sorry" to everyone all the time.

FWIW in the article, the term "WIS" means "Watch Idiot Savant".......or someone who is actively passionate and knowledgeable about them.

Any other watch nuts here ?

Objective

To confirm or dispel the preconceived notion that the general public can easily recognize ROLEX wristwatches, and that they will act and/or respond differently, and in an obvious manner, to the wearer of same.

Methodology

Utilizing my position as a driver for a ride sharing service grants me the exposure to a wide cross section of the general public on a daily basis. Each day for 3 months I would wear a genuine ROLEX watch, and part way thru the collection of data, I would change ROLEX watches for one of a different design and metal composition, as well as, I would also wear a "control" timepiece, which was a non-Rolex item.

The ROLEX watches worn were a reference #126300 Datejust 41 in steel with a Jubilee bracelet, smooth bezel, and Rhodium dial, and then a reference #116713LN GMT Master II in two tone Gold and Steel. At the time of the survey I did not have any full gold pieces in my collection, however, as two tone watches are commonly derided as being "too flashy" I decided that this would suffice. The control watch was a TISSOT PRC200 chronograph in polished steel, with a custom bright yellow ostrich leather band and deployment, made by Aaron Bespoke in Montreal.

A sample base of 1,000 riders was to be tabulated, as this size is what is most commonly utilized by major polling firms such as Gallup and others, and their reactions and responses, if any, recorded for future use.

I operate my vehicle from 4:00 AM until 6:00 PM in the middle to upper class demographic areas of a city, with contains a metropolitan population of approximately 1.3MM inhabitants. The vast majority of my clients are business travellers, business people, retail/service employees and students, as well as those of an undetermined nature. The mix of female to male riders is 50/50.

This survey was done during the warm summer months, and at all times a short sleeve shirt was worn, so that I could expose the timepiece to the rider in a non-obvious manner.

At all times my hands were positioned at 10/2 o'clock position on the steering wheel while in motion, but when stopped, I often placed my left hand at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel if the rider was sitting in the right rear seat (60%) of my vehicle. If the rider was in the left rear seat (10%) I would place my elbow on the window frame and rest my head on my hand. If the rider was in the front passenger seat (30%), no special considerations were taken to offer unobstructed views of the ROLEX, or the control watch.

At no time did I verbally mention any timepiece I was wearing, and only upon a direct comment or question from a rider, did a discussion take place.

I briefly glanced at each rider thru my dark sunglasses numerous times to see if they were focused overtly on my wrist while the vehicle was safely stopped. Other than noted below by those who made comments to me, no one seemed preoccupied with what was on my wrist at any time.

RESULTS

A total of 1,076 riders were tabulated.
9 made direct verbal comments to me while in the vehicle (00.83 %)
5 of them were wearing a ROLEX while doing so (00.46%).
1 was wearing a Panerai.
The remaining 3 knew the make and model of the subject watch, but were not wearing what we would consider to be a higher end SWISS luxury watch brand at the time.
No one made derogatory comments, or discussed the cost of the watches at any time.
No one seemed to focus their gaze on my wrist at any time except the WIS in my vehicle.
17 people commented on the yellow strap on my TISSOT within the 2 weeks that I wore it during my driving (1.59 %).

CONCLUSIONS

People will notice that you have something on your wrist, as evidenced by the commentary regarding the bright yellow strap on my TISSOT. I received 10 times as many comments on the watch strap alone, as I did on any of the ROLEX timepieces that I wore.

An overwhelmingly vast majority of people absolutely CANNOT tell the difference between a $15,000+ ROLEX and a $150 Michael Kors/FOSSIL/Invicta/Steinhart, etc, mall watch, nor do they even care.

If they do notice, they won't say anything unless they have a direct interest in watches, but most likely no commentary or further interaction will be forthcoming, unless they are a ROLEX wearing WIS. In this case, you can expect a healthy and interesting discussion.

There are not a lot of ROLEX wearers out there in the general public in the demographic I transport. In fact, it was much smaller than I expected, especially if the sales hype surrounding the brand, and the perceived inventory shortages at Rolex dealers are to be believed.

If you like expensive Swiss watches, buy them solely for yourself, because no one else is going to know or care that you are wearing one on your wrist. The only statement you are making when you do so, is to yourself. And, that is why we all buy nice things for ourselves, to make us feel good, regardless of what they are.

Having personally owned numerous full yellow gold ROLEX pieces, and worn them daily for two years, I can state that the results shown in my survey, had I utilized one of them, would have been the same, as no one ever made a comment about my watches, unless they they personally owned one themselves.

Watch Analog watch Light Gesture Clock

Watch Analog watch Clock Everyday carry Material property

Watch Hand Analog watch White Product

See less See more
#3 ·
One of my hobbies and passions for years has been Swiss watches. Particularily Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Patek Philippe, etc. I own a number of them, and actively participate in a couple of watch forums on the internet, and it's always a jealous point of contention (particularily with Rolex) that the people who wear them do so because we are all insecure and attention seeking assholes. Well, I decided to test the theory of "product recognition" as I was driving Uber. So, I took a couple of my pieces out of my safe and stared wearing them daily while driving.

Pics of the watches I used are attached. The gold one was not used in the survey as I had just sold it.

I would not have done this in LA or Chicago FWIW......LOL !! I am in Canada where we all say "sorry" to everyone all the time.

FWIW in the article, the term "WIS" means "Watch Idiot Savant".......or someone who is actively passionate and knowledgeable about them.

Objective

To confirm or dispel the preconceived notion that the general public can easily recognize ROLEX wristwatches, and that they will act and/or respond differently, and in an obvious manner, to the wearer of same.

Methodology

Utilizing my position as a driver for a ride sharing service grants me the exposure to a wide cross section of the general public on a daily basis. Each day for 3 months I would wear a genuine ROLEX watch, and part way thru the collection of data, I would change ROLEX watches for one of a different design and metal composition, as well as, I would also wear a "control" timepiece, which was a non-Rolex item.

The ROLEX watches worn were a reference #126300 Datejust 41 in steel with a Jubilee bracelet, smooth bezel, and Rhodium dial, and then a reference #116713LN GMT Master II in two tone Gold and Steel. At the time of the survey I did not have any full gold pieces in my collection, however, as two tone watches are commonly derided as being "too flashy" I decided that this would suffice. The control watch was a TISSOT PRC200 chronograph in polished steel, with a custom bright yellow ostrich leather band and deployment, made by Aaron Bespoke in Montreal.

A sample base of 1,000 riders was to be tabulated, as this size is what is most commonly utilized by major polling firms such as Gallup and others, and their reactions and responses, if any, recorded for future use.
I operate my vehicle from 4:00 AM until 6:00 PM in the middle to upper class demographic areas of a city, with contains a metropolitan population of approximately 1.3MM inhabitants. The vast majority of my clients are business travellers, business people, retail/service employees and students, as well as those of an undetermined nature. The mix of female to male riders is 50/50.

This survey was done during the warm summer months, and at all times a short sleeve shirt was worn, so that I could expose the timepiece to the rider in a non-obvious manner.

At all times my hands were positioned at 10/2 o'clock position on the steering wheel while in motion, but when stopped, I often placed my left hand at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel if the rider was sitting in the right rear seat (60%) of my vehicle. If the rider was in the left rear seat (10%) I would place my elbow on the window frame and rest my head on my hand. If the rider was in the front passenger seat (30%), no special considerations were taken to offer unobstructed views of the ROLEX, or the control watch.

At no time did I verbally mention any timepiece I was wearing, and only upon a direct comment or question from a rider, did a discussion take place.

I briefly glanced at each rider thru my dark sunglasses numerous times to see if they were focused overtly on my wrist while the vehicle was safely stopped. Other than noted below by those who made comments to me, no one seemed preoccupied with what was on my wrist at any time.

RESULTS

1 was wearing a Panerai.
The remaining 3 knew the make and model of the subject watch, but were not wearing what we would consider to be a higher end SWISS luxury watch brand at the time.
No one made derogatory comments, or discussed the cost of the watches at any time.
No one seemed to focus their gaze on my wrist at any time except the WIS in my vehicle.
17 people commented on the yellow strap on my TISSOT within the 2 weeks that I wore it during my driving (1.59 %).

CONCLUSIONS

People will notice that you have something on your wrist, as evidenced by the commentary regarding the bright yellow strap on my TISSOT. I received 10 times as many comments on the watch strap alone, as I did on any of the ROLEX timepieces that I wore.

People absolutely CANNOT tell the difference between a $15,000+ ROLEX and a $200 Michael Kors/FOSSIL/Invicta/Steinhart, etc, mall watch, nor do they care.

If they do notice, they won't say anything unless they have a direct interest in watches, but most likely no commentary or further interaction will be forthcoming, unless they are a ROLEX wearing WIS. In this case, you can expect a healthy and interesting discussion.

There are not a lot of ROLEX wearers out there in the general public in the demographic I transport. In fact, it was much smaller than I expected, especially if the sales hype surrounding the brand, and the perceived inventory shortages at Rolex dealers are to be believed.

If you like expensive Swiss watches, buy them solely for yourself, because no one else is going to know or care that you are wearing one on your wrist. The only statement you are making when you do so, is to yourself.

Having personally owned numerous full yellow gold ROLEX pieces, and worn them daily for two years, I can state that the results shown in my survey, had I utilized one of them, would have been the same, as no one ever made a comment about my watches, unless they they personally owned one themselves.

View attachment 313221

View attachment 313223

View attachment 313225
The man who steals your watch will say " "sorry".

You should get a PhD in Consumer Behavior, then get a job at a liberal arts college and publish your research in academic journals, give 2 lectures per week, work 9 months a year and collect a 6 figure paycheck annually. As an added benefit, it will still leave you tons of time for driving Uber!
" LIBERAL ARTS "

#4 ·
Why? You are surprised like what's liberal arts got to do with it? I guess you are not familiar with the American college system that much. Liberal arts colleges don't just teach arts, they teach pretty much every degree imaginable, including business and engineering. They are usually very overpriced, their classes are very easy, they dont teach a lot, because their market is mostly kids of rich parents who kinda want a degree, but they really know they will never have to work for living. Teaching in such colleges is really nice, cause you can take it easy and you get paid a lot. Privilaged jobs, really.

#5 ·
I would be too paranoid to wear a Rolex doing this job. Not really an issue for me since I don't own a Rolex. I was once using my Tab E while Ubering in the daytime and this one female pax that got in looked at it with such desire and jealousy (Like Gollum and the ring of power). A Rolex costs a lot more than a Tab E that is for sure.

#11 · (Edited)
FWIW, tips never changed during my survey, they are still shitty ROTFLMAO !!!!.........and if I had thought my chances of getting robbed, were, well, seriously above average, I wouldn't have done it. I am specifically insured for these items anyways. I just cannot travel internationally (outside of the continental North America) as I am not covered if I wear one and incur a loss.

That was the point of the whole thing, to bust the myth that having an expensive and supposedly "flashy" watch gave the wearer attention.

It does not.

The watch forums where I participate and posted this had some funny reactions. The guys and dealers who sold watches either didn't believe I actually did it, or tried to poke holes in my methodology, as they desperately need this myth to continue to do business.

#56 · (Edited)
I was going to say... comments or tips??? If I was a ghetto pax, I'd be like .. "Look at ******'s fancy watch!! He don't need no tips! He riiiich!!"

I'm messing with you! It's cool that you're very knowledgeable about such time pieces. My secret to not aging is, I don't wear a watch ?

In junior high I wore Swatch Watches!!

Product Tool Font Material property Parallel

#13 ·
One of my hobbies and passions for years has been Swiss watches. Particularily Rolex, Baume & Mercier, Patek Philippe, etc. I own a number of them, and actively participate in a couple of watch forums on the internet, and it's always a jealous point of contention (particularily with Rolex) that the people who wear them do so because we are all insecure and attention seeking assholes. Well, I decided to test the theory of "product recognition" as I was driving Uber. So, I took a couple of my pieces out of my safe and started wearing them daily while driving.

Objective

Methodology

RESULTS

1 was wearing a Panerai.

CONCLUSIONS

An overwhelmingly vast majority of people absolutely CANNOT tell the difference between a $15,000+ ROLEX and a $150 Michael Kors/FOSSIL/Invicta/Steinhart, etc, mall watch, nor do they even care.

If you like expensive Swiss watches, buy them solely for yourself, because no one else is going to know or care that you are wearing one on your wrist. The only statement you are making when you do so, is to yourself. And, that is why we all buy nice things for ourselves, to make us feel good, regardless of what they are.

View attachment 313221

View attachment 313232

View attachment 313225
People still wear watch?. First one looks fake, though. I can tell because of the date number. The lens don't magnify the date.

#14 ·
I wear a $140 Fossil Smartwatch that I bought a few months ago and get comments frequently. When I show them that the watch face is a "Magic 8-ball", they get even more giddy. For the record, I am not a big fan of the gold plating color, but already have a silver color and wanted something different.

I do find it funny that even Rolex is in the Smartwatch game

#21 ·
Watches are making their way down to line as pocket watches :redface:

A lot more people are impressed now by the latest most expensive mobile phone over a watch of any caliber.
That & smart watches that has more modern day functionality for day to day use are much more impressive to the current generation or two.
Times have changed ? Then again if you are hanging around a lot of grandpas and grandmas... Watches are still ace.

#22 ·
I wear a $140 Fossil Smartwatch that I bought a few months ago and get comments frequently. When I show them that the watch face is a "Magic 8-ball", they get even more giddy. For the record, I am not a big fan of the gold plating color, but already have a silver color and wanted something different.

I do find it funny that even Rolex is in the Smartwatch game

Are You sure thats even a real Rolex? I can design a watch face on my Galaxy Watch that says Rolex easy.

That being said, i wont even wear my Galaxy Watch while driving much less a $15,000 Rolex.

#23 ·
I love wrist watches and have quite a few. Not real expensive... best one is a Tag Heuer dive watch.

About three years ago I started walking a lot and now wear a Fitbit Blaze instead of a watch. I miss my watches, but this device serves a bigger purpose than telling time.

#24 ·
I would be curious to know how wearing a Rolex affected your tips? I’d think it would be a real tip killer. And the data might reveal how many more people are noticing it but not saying anything, just not tipping.

I have considered the fact that driving Uber provides a unique opportunity for studies like this. A great cross section of society, high volume of subjects, unsuspecting situation, and you’re already getting paid for it.

#25 ·
Nicest watch I've forgotten I've had on while Ubering was a Tag... I usually remember and throw something else on cheaper or no watch at all.

The old lady says I look too nice when I'm driving. The summer driving uniform of shorts and fishing shirts usually classes the operation down compared to jeans and button ups in the winter.

#28 ·
1) If you have to make a 10,000 word post about your watches, then yes, you are an attention seeking @@@@@@@. Those who just enjoy them will wear them without saying anything.

2) Any PAX that recognizes what it is probably thinks its an imitation, being worn by an uber driver.
The thread wasn't made specifically for you guys. It was made for a watch forum similar is size to this one to dispell some unfounded conceptions, or, myths, if you will.

I thought it might be interesting for the drivers here.

Glad you enjoyed it.

#34 ·

Objective

Methodology

RESULTS

1 was wearing a Panerai.

CONCLUSIONS

View attachment 313221

View attachment 313232

View attachment 313225
what kind of idiot can't tell the difference between a Micheal kohrs and a Rolex? THe look is as plain as night and day (excpet in Antarctica). That's absolutely terrible. If you can assume a FOSSIL or a Micheal Kohrs looks like a Rolex. Even Invicta (which I personally love even though I know their essentially official replica luxury watches) can be differentiated easily enough from a Rollie. And I don't own any of them (yet). That's a bit silly, really.

I would be too paranoid to wear a Rolex doing this job. Not really an issue for me since I don't own a Rolex. I was once using my Tab E while Ubering in the daytime and this one female pax that got in looked at it with such desire and jealousy (Like Gollum and the ring of power). A Rolex costs a lot more than a Tab E that is for sure.
Well you can appreciate her honest interest in quality tech in any case. Or she just super broke. Either or.

#35 ·
I had a Luminor, Submariner and a Royal Oak in pink gold as gift for myself upon retirement. The RO had the most compliment and had one time dropped off the head of Louis Vuitton's watch division in SFO as he was impressed by it. I must be making bank driving for Uber he says laughing.

#36 ·
I, too, have a passion for horology and I am a Seiko fanboy...even though they are not as affordable as once. Love their Grand Seikos too. I haven't been that interested in Rolex because the way they create their artificial short supply and thus increases prices on the secondary market. It also can rub off on people the wrong way for many reasons (all of them lead to being haters). I however am about to get a Explorer 39m mk2. Awesome yet simplistic. However, I wouldn't be wearing it while Ubering, that is a good way to get robbed unless you plan to keep taking it off when you reach a bad neighborhood.

#39 ·
Must just be me... I could care less what's on your wrist, in fact in today's smart phone toting society I honestly think wrist watches are outdated and tacky... BUT that's just my opinion.. but in the same breath .... If you get robbed while wearing it and driving umm maybe you'll have better sense next time?

IMHO I can find many better things to spend money on...but that's me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.