Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so I am a student in the DC area who wants to drive for uber. I won't have a DC, Maryland, or Virginia license but I will have a permit of reciprocity that essentially waives my need to register in DC or exchange my out of state license.

Does anyone know whether this permit will be enough or will they force me to get a DC license and registration?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
49 Posts
Correction... You will not be able to do uberX but only pool. Not to bad as long as you can keep at least silver status incentives. I just started lyft as well. When incentives are not at peek with Uber pool I just switch to lyft... Which does not have any restrictions for students and military.

Shhh... don't spread the word.

·
26,749 Posts
The District of Columbia requires a local licence, that is, a licence issued by the District of Columbia, the State of Maryland or the Commonwealth of Virginia. The same applies to the licence plate on the vehicle. I do not know what the State of Maryland or the Commonwealth of Virginia require, if either requires anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
99% of rides lead to DC. Commuters in the morning from all areas outside of DC (Maryland and Virginia). Picking up a pool rider or two from out side of the District then spending 45 minutes to an hour and a half to drop them off at their destination for 16 to 18 dollars. Then being told that you cannot pick up riders however, still receiving stacked pings (pool request while in DC) and fighting conscience (to pick up additional riders or not) or instead spend the same amount of time it took to get there (45min-1 1/2 hours) to get back out of DC to continue picking up riders and repeating the process. Measly 8$ /hr or less. Makes Uber (almost) not worth it. As stated earlier... Lyft has no issues with its drivers being able to pick up in DC. I opened up both partner and rider app. Within the DC geo boundary... My vehicle does not show up as being available for uberX or xl however it does for pool. Something else I've noticed... Other drivers have apparently made a deal with the devil... Being only available for uberX and not Uber pool. I would love that perk... Would possibly make more money and spend less time on pool rides. Difference from personal experience between lyft and Uber since being dual hatted. This DC regulation exist according to Uber ... Possibly just for Uber... Lyft does not mention it to the drivers leaving both parties liable or remains un liable if the driver is cited for such a 'so called violation' which I am personally OK with because... all the time when transporting pax... I drive as if my own kids are in the back seat (un-seatbelted... Yeah made that word up but you know that I meant). So the difference summed up in one word..... Control.... Social experiment to force pool drivers in DC.

Drops the mic

·
Registered
41 Posts
This might change. A friend I work with in the military has a Michigan DL and couldn't get any DC pax. He found out why and emailed all the DC council and he even got a response back stating that they were going to change this. Tbd.

·
Registered
49 Posts
This might change. A friend I work with in the military has a Michigan DL and couldn't get any DC pax. He found out why and emailed all the DC council and he even got a response back stating that they were going to change this. Tbd.
Best News I've heard... Thanks for the gossip. We'll see how promising it is.

·
26,749 Posts
A friend in the military has a Michigan DL and couldn't get any DC pax
A number of years back, the then Chair of the D.C. Taxicab Commission wanted to get a rule/Law change that would exempt members of the military from the requirement of a local operator's licence to secure a hack licence. He considered members of the military to be ideal candidates for a hack licence.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts