Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove for 90 minutes, parked for another 20. ZERO pings. I am authorized to drive in PBC. I had a ride the other day. Guess I will have to get a job at goodwill.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Drove for 90 minutes, parked for another 20. ZERO pings. I am authorized to drive in PBC. I had a ride the other day. Guess I will have to get a job at goodwill.
I have gone three hours with nothing in PBC. Then I usually go home. I have also driven from Boca to Jupiter with the app on without a single ping on more than one occasion. You can still make around $7 per hour after expenses if you drive at peak times. Otherwise it just is not worth it, and even then it is not. LMAO

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yesterday I was 1st up at PBI and got a ping from Military Trail at the W side of the airport. I accepted and got a text he was at the airport. This bad pin at PBI seems to be commonplace. I think sometimes it's because Pax want the driver to wait, not them, so they ping from baggage claim and GPS
doesn't work so the app tries to get a fix off the cell connection.
That one worked out. Tonight however, I was again 1st at PBI and get a ping from the Kennel Club. Before I move (but I accepted the ride and lost my place in the queue) I call the Pax: no answer. So I go to the Kennel Club and start the clock. At the 3 minute mark, I get a call: she is at Hertz, having just returned a car. I take her and her luggage all of a mile to her office parking garage and wrestle with her luggage while she attempts to get the gate to open.
My reward after Uber's cut: $6.20 for Select, 1/2 hour shot, and now 3rd in the queue.
I know the pin is off often at PBI, but to find out, you have to accept the Pax initially and lose your place in the queue.

My thoughts: rides from PBI are often equal to a whole day of short trips. In the future I think I'll ignore any ping while in the queue unless it's coming from the airport. Not my fault if Uber never works to fix any of their many problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I stop driving in PBC. After two days with only 2 rides, it's not worth it. Waiting for Broward to reinstate for me to work.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Yesterday I was 1st up at PBI and got a ping from Military Trail at the W side of the airport. I accepted and got a text he was at the airport. This bad pin at PBI seems to be commonplace. I think sometimes it's because Pax want the driver to wait, not them, so they ping from baggage claim and GPS
doesn't work so the app tries to get a fix off the cell connection.
That one worked out. Tonight however, I was again 1st at PBI and get a ping from the Kennel Club. Before I move (but I accepted the ride and lost my place in the queue) I call the Pax: no answer. So I go to the Kennel Club and start the clock. At the 3 minute mark, I get a call: she is at Hertz, having just returned a car. I take her and her luggage all of a mile to her office parking garage and wrestle with her luggage while she attempts to get the gate to open.
My reward after Uber's cut: $6.20 for Select, 1/2 hour shot, and now 3rd in the queue.
I know the pin is off often at PBI, but to find out, you have to accept the Pax initially and lose your place in the queue.

My thoughts: rides from PBI are often equal to a whole day of short trips. In the future I think I'll ignore any ping while in the queue unless it's coming from the airport. Not my fault if Uber never works to fix any of their many problems.
Friday at PBI I had about 4 trips in the morning which made be around $18 over the course of 4 hours. Two were cancelled rides by the rider so I got $4. One went to downtown for $5 for me, and the other to just south of Okeechobee blvd. north of the airport and another $5 for me. One of the cancelled rides had the pax upstairs at departures. Told here I was at arrivals and would come around and pick her up there. She then cancelled instead. The other cancellation had the pax not knowing where she was as she had never used Uber before. I told her to just go out from baggage claim and then tell me what airline she sees on the signs. She said she would rather cancel, and then did as she thought I would know where she was automatically. LMAO.

PBI is a joke to work out of. Maybe on Select at least you would have have made around double what I made in those four hours, but still that is less then $10 per hour.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Does anybody know if you get a ping from the queue at PBI and don't respond, are you still #1 in the queue or do you go to the end of the line?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Does anybody know if you get a ping from the queue at PBI and don't respond, are you still #1 in the queue or do you go to the end of the line?
You definitely go to the end of the line. One of the problems with PBI is that you get so many pings from outside the airport that are basically worthless, then you get airport employees going home which are also basically worthless, the a lot of people staying close to the airport, or downtown which is also a $6 fare, and Palm Beach which is around a $10 fare which means $7 for uberX

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Here's a story worth sharing. Today I get a Pax at the Breakers to go to The Gardens Mall. After that I head back to WPB but get a ping from Juno Beach back past where I just came from. I hesitate and then at the last second I accept. I get to the arrival point and hit arrived. In case you haven't been driving lately, there is a new version of the Driver App which has some big changes. Now the App shows that I'm waiting for the Pax to arrive and below that is supposed to be a bright green slider that you move left to right to start the trip.
The Pax arrives but the green slider isn't green, it's ghosted out gray and doesn't work. I try everything I can think of to no effect. BTW, the Pax is going to downtown.....Miami and this is Uber Select.Fortunately the Pax is a young intelligent woman who works with me. I tell her to cancel and start over which she does, noting that she just got charged $10. I tell her I will get that reversed when I get home, with an email to Uber; I've done it before.

So she goes to ping me again except this time the area is surging 1.5 for Select. I tell her to try it anyways to see if it works and then cancel no charge which she does and My slider is still ghosted. So I power down my phone and restart it. The surge is now 2.1. I tell her nobody in WPB ever does Uber Select when it surges and since she's going to Miami, if she's not in a hurry to wait it out. I don't say too much cause I sure don't want her to ping UberX and get cut out of this gravy train.

So we wait 10 minutes, In the meantime I tell her to turn off her App as that may be enough to make it surge, especially since I'm the only one in the area and she has just cancelled two Select trips. Finally the surge ends, she pings me, I hit arrive, and the start trip slider is now green so we were on our way to a $235 payday. On the way, she emails Uber CS and before we get to Miami, they credit her back the $10. Not only didn't I have to do it for her, but they did it with Uber Money and I got to keep the $10 cancel fee too.

Now if I could only have gotten a return Pax to WPB from Miami, but that would have been like winning the lottery. I did get 2 short trips in Miami, which was pretty lucky as there were Select cars every quarter mile.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I 1st tried to start the trip to Miami at 6:36 pm. It wasn't until 7:03PM that I was able to. Looking at my data usage, at 6:56PM I got charged for 64.25 Megabytes by Verizon. That's huge. Is it possible that Uber was doing an update to my Partner App and didn't tell me? In the past it has always worked when on, and only after it being off and then turned on again does it make me get an update from the Google Play store before I can go online.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ZZY: Yes, I have also experienced the slider for starting trip being grayed out. You where lucky to have such a seasoned pax for such a long trip. Most pax dont have the patience, or, the understanding to do a reset/request anew like she did. I had two instances where I finally sorted things out, but I got dinged severerly on ratings as a result.

As to Wellington: I ended up there as result of a drop off. The demographics there is not really ubercountry; the only exception being a few pax working retail at the mall wanting to go home after their shift, so those are short trips, and you have dead miles going back to the mall.

Jupiter: The good: it is spread out, (compared to the south county) so the trips are usually a bit longer and as long as you are close to the ocean, you can in many cases wait around the drop of point for a next ride. The bad: If you end up far west, you are facing looong waits or lots of dead miles back to the coast + lot of entitlement thinking.

Clemantis and Downtown on Fridays and Saturdays: quite a bit of requests, but only if you have a good buffer on your ratings. Anyone that says that driving drunks around on Friday and Saturdays dont have an effect on ratings is living in a different word than I am.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts