Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey MD drivers. So I live in OC and I've gotten several complaints from PAX about drivers coming and working in OC for the weekend. Personally, I don't really care.

But I can't imagine the math makes sense, even if you end up sleeping in your car or on the beach during the day. I've seen lots of drivers making stupid and sometimes dangerous mistakes because they don't know where to drop people off or pick people up, particularly at hot spots like Seacrets and Fagers.

· Registered
36 Posts
they don't know where to drop people off or pick people up, particularly at hot spots like Seacrets and Fagers. According to many of my PAX, they have been rated accordingly...

So either wise up, or stay out, because you are going to end up hurting yourself the most.
It annoys me the way Fagers doesn't want to let you back to pick up request and we have to tell Cust to take golf cart out.

If I was down there more I'd try to talk to management about a way to handle Uber request from Fagers. It seems they're very pro taxi

· Registered
1,310 Posts
I go to OC just to vacation and don't plan to drive there but am curious how it is for drivers there? How do you do on a normal night? Does it ever surge there? Have to think most fares aren't that much since OC isn't that big.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
I have been driving for about a month and a half now. Mainly the DE beaches and OC. My best action is around 1AM on the weekends when the surge hits 2.5-4x consistently for about 45-60 minutes. If you position yourself at Dewey Beach you can make some decent dollars. Dewey is enforcing you have a Taxi sticker...that will set you back $109 for the season. But it is well worth the cost if you are going to work the weekends all summer.

Ocean City I find a bit difficult. You do get surge but most people are only going 10-20 blocks and you get a lot of minimum fares. Then you have to deal with the lights, traffic, and police. Last night I had to drive 40 blocks just to get a minimum fare and I had to wait for the Pax. Seacrets lets the cabs in close while Ubers are stuck doing dropoffs 2 blocks away. Fagers is the same when its busy. You end up wasting time trying to locate passengers or having them try to find you.

You have to have a strategy and stick to it. There are patterns to the surges. One of the things I do not like is I have to be physically in MD to see the OC surge. Then I have to be in DE to see the Dewey surge. I find the best runs are working Bethany area up to Dewey. That is about 12 miles where you can go pretty fast.

Uber is a bit hit or miss. But when the surge is on you are going to maximize your profit regardless of the length of a trip. Last night I had 2 big fares and 15 small ones. That is typical. My advice is don't pick up every fare. If you are busy then don't take anything more than 5 minutes away.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
I use to go to Dewey all the time, in fact I'm going this weekend for the first time in 8 years. The best thing about dewey is once you are there, you can walk everywhere. Where do the pax you pick up there go? Can't imagine getting an uber to go anywhere unless someone came from rehobeth or Bethany to go out. I'm also going to OC in a couple weeks. OC is bigger but can't imagine driving there with all those traffic lights and short rides. I guess at night after the bars close, uber is better than that bus or walking drunk

· Registered
1,973 Posts
I use to go to Dewey all the time, in fact I'm going this weekend for the first time in 8 years. The best thing about dewey is once you are there, you can walk everywhere. Where do the pax you pick up there go? Can't imagine getting an uber to go anywhere unless someone came from rehobeth or Bethany to go out. I'm also going to OC in a couple weeks. OC is bigger but can't imagine driving there with all those traffic lights and short rides. I guess at night after the bars close, uber is better than that bus or walking drunk
Dewey is by far the most popular spot for my pickups and dropoffs.....anywhere from Lewes (beach and bay), north reho, and of course bethany (and towns west of bethany) all want rides to dewey and rides home. The rides home get expensive as everything surges when the bars close.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
With OC, the best place to work is ocean pines...that way you get a lot of trips into the city. I have mostly cruised up and down OC but you tend to get short trips. With Uber the money is made on longer trips and when you can go a distance at a faster speed.

· Registered
1,973 Posts
But overall I do better on the Delaware side....consistently longer trips...especially between Dewey and Bethany. Traffic is nasty on Rte 1 early but usually by 8ish its okay. The bars close at 1AM and things usually die down by 2AM. This is year one of Uber and we are seeing good surges. In year 2, I expect to see more drivers and that will kill the surge. However, if Dewey continues enforcing the Taxi sticker that will keep a lot of Ubers away during the surge hours.

· Registered
11 Posts
it might be the time im driving. Early AM 7-noon when i get off from my summer job. I call it the Walk of shame shift. mostly women who got really drunk the night before and hooked up and want to get away quickly in the morning. All they have are their clothes (sometimes) and their almost dead phones.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
I'll be be in Dewey this weekend (not going to uber drive when there ). Going to look around to see the uber situation up there. If I see you DelaJoe I'll say hello. I'm staying by the bottle and cork so easy to walk everywhere. Going to OC in a couple weeks so I'll be interested to see how uber is doing there. It's so crazy here in DC when you stop at a light and 4-5 cars in a row are ubers. They are like rats here, everywhere

· Premium Member
5,499 Posts
Have you done it? Because I have with two separate Uber accounts. Neither one can pickup in Delaware. They don't show up on the map to receive pings. I tested this by driving to Fenwick Island at the Dairy Queen right across the border.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.