Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Uber Drivers!

I'm brand new and looking forward to driving and making some side $$ with Uber, I want to avoid the pukers, and crazy nightlife people so I've decided to drive early mornings. I'm curious though, I have to drive all the way from Ontario, to L.A which isn't too bad, but not too good either. Has anyone drove exclusively early in busy cities with good success?

What tips can you advise?

Also I'm not too familiar with picking up and dropping off at LAX, or the rules/laws involving it? I've read that some airports don't allow Uber? What's the whole deal on that? I plan to drive in L.A or other busy cites on Saturdays and Sundays early morning (5a.m - 1pm) as I have work Mon-Fri.

Thanks for any advice and help!

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
If you don't qualify for the LA county incentives it is a horrible idea. If you do qualify it MIGHT be ok.

Because of traffic at base fare your earning potential is very low, probably $13-$15/hr gross, which might actually be losing $$ when you factor in expenses such as gas and wear and tear on car.

Also, you could have some brutal dead miling back at 1pm if you end up somewhere like Malibu or Pablo's verdes, and there will be traffic on the freeway going back home, even at 1 pm.

Maybe pre incentives it might have been ok, because you could have gotten surge rides, but that ship has sailed. There is very little surge except during rush hours when your earnings are limited due to brutal traffic in areas that would surge.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Wait, you plan to drive dead miles from Ontario to LA and back, every day? I wouldn't even do it once.
You'll make maybe 150$ in LA (assuming it's UberX), deduct gas and car maintenance and there you go. Do read around the forum before starting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wait, you plan to drive dead miles from Ontario to LA and back, every day? I wouldn't even do it once.
You'll make maybe 150$ in LA (assuming it's UberX), deduct gas and car maintenance and there you go. Do read around the forum before starting.
Just Saturday and Sunday mornings, maybe work about 10-14 hours total in the early mornings those 2 days.

If you don't qualify for the LA county incentives it is a horrible idea. If you do qualify it MIGHT be ok.

Because of traffic at base fare your earning potential is very low, probably $13-$15/hr gross, which might actually be losing $$ when you factor in expenses such as gas and wear and tear on car.

Also, you could have some brutal dead miling back at 1pm if you end up somewhere like Malibu or Pablo's verdes, and there will be traffic on the freeway going back home, even at 1 pm.

Maybe pre incentives it might have been ok, because you could have gotten surge rides, but that ship has sailed. There is very little surge except during rush hours when your earnings are limited due to brutal traffic in areas that would surge.
I see, well there is Riverside, Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Chino, Chino Hills, Corona, Pomona and Yorba Linda that is closer to me. :(

Perhaps starting at a more local, busier, city areas near me may be the better option.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
Since you are new you have to earn Olympic medal.

Do some rides around your area to gain experience. Yes read lax rules.

It will be trial and error and then you can ask more specific questions.

Read forum. Since u know forum u already ahead of the game

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Just Saturday and Sunday mornings, maybe work about 10-14 hours total in the early mornings those 2 days.

I see, well there is Riverside, Fontana, Rancho Cucamonga, Chino, Chino Hills, Corona, Pomona and Yorba Linda that is closer to me. :(

Perhaps starting at a more local, busier, city areas near me may be the better option.
Go west, not east. Ontario is right on the edge of a weird vacuum effect which pulls you west in to LA. I kid you not.

Download and install the riders app. See where the drivers are around you.

West of Ontario is better than east of Ontario. Business is slow in the IE, but there's enough business in Ontario to let you learn locally.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
You can start in diamond bar, Rowland heights area.. It's always busy around there and just see where the rides take you.. You do have the drive back which you will hardly go back east if your in the westside
I don't know about Diamond Bar area or not but I agree with Makethatmoney in that once you end up on the west side it's not easy to get out. Worse things can happen because there's business there. That's why it's hard to leave. But you're looking at a long ass drive home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello fellow Uber Drivers!

I'm brand new and looking forward to driving and making some side $$ with Uber, I want to avoid the pukers, and crazy nightlife people so I've decided to drive early mornings. I'm curious though, I have to drive all the way from Ontario, to L.A which isn't too bad, but not too good either. Has anyone drove exclusively early in busy cities with good success?

What tips can you advise?

Also I'm not too familiar with picking up and dropping off at LAX, or the rules/laws involving it? I've read that some airports don't allow Uber? What's the whole deal on that? I plan to drive in L.A or other busy cites on Saturdays and Sundays early morning (5a.m - 1pm) as I have work Mon-Fri.

Thanks for any advice and help!
Don't go to LAX until you receive your permit. It's 1k fine if they catch you and UBER will not help you.

·
Premium Member
14,303 Posts

Nuff Said:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts