Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that a New Jersey Uber driver after bringing a padsenger to New York may not pick up a passenger in NY and bring them back to NJ. What would happen if someone acompanying the passenger being dropped off in NY wants to immediately return to NJ? This passenger does not get out of the car they just want to return right away. May I keep the 'meter running' and continue with the trip back to NJ? (If I say they have to get out they may be annoyed at the inconvenience and give me a low rating.)
How would this be handled?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I understand that a New Jersey Uber driver after bringing a padsenger to New York may not pick up a passenger in NY and bring them back to NJ. What would happen if someone acompanying the passenger being dropped off in NY wants to immediately return to NJ? This passenger does not get out of the car they just want to return right away. May I keep the 'meter running' and continue with the trip back to NJ? (If I say they have to get out they may be annoyed at the inconvenience and give me a low rating.)
How would this be handled?
Not only can you do this, you'd collect two 20 dollar surcharges for crossing into and out of the city from NJ. If the trip never ends in N.Y, it's still the same trip that originated in NJ.
Now technically, legally... no. Anytime we enter New York, even if just passing through, the TLC considers us operating an taxi/limo without a license... but we do anyway.
After May, 1st we'll be legal here, but we'll still be illegal the second we cross into N.Y. We don't think about it since it's become so commonplace with Uber, but technically it is what it is.
...oh, and sorry but when I turn down rides to JFK it's not discrimination, Travis. It's staying within the law.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
I have never had someone asking to return to NJ from NY but I guess you still can ask them to update the destination in the rider app so it is documented that it was a pax request rather than you just driving back without ending the trip. With all the fuzz around on deactivating drivers abusing the system (not that I'm implying OP is doing or anyone else posting here), but we need to make sure proper trip info is documented in the system in case a pax decide to pull a fast one on you.

·
Premium Member
6,135 Posts
Not only can you do this, you'd collect two 20 dollar surcharges for crossing into and out of the city from NJ. If the trip never ends in N.Y, it's still the same trip that originated in NJ.
Now technically, legally... no. Anytime we enter New York, even if just passing through, the TLC considers us operating an taxi/limo without a license... but we do anyway.
After May, 1st we'll be legal here, but we'll still be illegal the second we cross into N.Y. We don't think about it since it's become so commonplace with Uber, but technically it is what it is.
...oh, and sorry but when I turn down rides to JFK it's not discrimination, Travis. It's staying within the law.
Travis is the LAW!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've done this before, collected $40 total for crossing the Hudson twice, if the time is right-I did it on 9pm on a weekday from jersey city to Brooklyn and it took 2 hours total got I think $68 from the fare itself plus $20 the rider threw me before we took off. For two hours of work $88 or even $68 (minus the 10.50 for the toll) isn't too bad I would say.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have never had someone asking to return to NJ from NY but I guess you still can ask them to update the destination in the rider app so it is documented that it was a pax request rather than you just driving back without ending the trip. With all the fuzz around on deactivating drivers abusing the system (not that I'm implying OP is doing or anyone else posting here), but we need to make sure proper trip info is documented in the system in case a pax decide to pull a fast one on you.
good point

·
Registered
85 Posts
No. The pax with a NJ driver cannot change the destination once inside NYC. I had a pax wanting to go back to NJ once and they didn't have the option in the app to change the destination. I saw it myself. This may work with a TLC but again we can always drive back if the pax insists and have them in record just in case.

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
No. The pax with a NJ driver cannot change the destination once inside NYC. I had a pax wanting to go back to NJ once and they didn't have the option in the app to change the destination. I saw it myself. This may work with a TLC but again we can always drive back if the pax insists and have them in record just in case.
Yes they can unless it's pool. I had a round trip ride to White Plains and waited an hour with the meter on. I could change the destination back to NJ and even got the $20 toll again

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes they can unless it's pool. I had a round trip ride to White Plains and waited an hour with the meter on. I could change the destination back to NJ and even got the $20 toll again
Oh! Well good to know it worked for you.

This was in November last year and I am certain that the trip wasn't and pool and I tried to work out in the app (driver) as well as the pax's phone but there was no option on my ride.
But as I mentioned I just drove them back and have them on my dashcam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts