Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
Has anyone driven to Mexico for car repairs ?

I'm looking to get a catalytic converter replaced and rips in leather seats repaired.
I was quoted $400 for part and $500 for install of CAT and $125 to repair two rips on the seats.

Does anyone know of an affordable way to get the repairs done ?

I know you can go to Mexico and get your teeth fixed for 1/2 the price. I wanted to know if anyone has ever had there car repaired in Mexico.

Any recommendations on car repair locations ?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I get my cars major services there all the time,Labor here is like $90 hour there it is like $15 parts are cheaper too. I have a Ford Explorer needed a steering rack $900 here alignment $60 here , 4 wheel brake job $400 here . So in Otay 10 minutes or less from the border got it all done for $400.
the shop also owns a body shop and an upholstery shop. I had a torn seat up here wanted $350 to replace the entire seat back. They sewed in a close matched piece for $25 . It is not exact match but for $325 less I am very happy.

I needed about $1,300 in misc body work done they did it for $375 . For less than the cost of the rack got it all done. It is a hassle crossing the border back and forth as for body work you have to leave the car a few days . But for minor mechanical you can drop it off and wait or go into town and eat and come back in a few hours when its done. The shop is dirty and the guys do not wear nice clean uniforms but the work I have had done has been solid. Body work is not 5 star quality more like 3-3.5 stars but for the difference in price I did not mind that the paint did not match perfectly. Which was partly my fault it was cold weather and they did not want to paint but i needed the car back and pushed the issue.

If you just need body work and have an insurance deductible and the damage is a significant amount I have a 5 star body shop in National City will often fix it for just the insurance check and save you the deductible. you go down there and they will look at it tell you what they can do for you,

·
Registered
682 Posts
That's one advantage we have here in SD , we have access to the border . The only thing you need to do is find a realiable shop.
I have a top notch mechanic that does work really good and really cheap . He even crosses for a little more $$$.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
For that matter, I need somebody to take me across the border. Please pm me. I will need to cross border couple times later this month and don't want to use pedestrian border into Mexico. I live by the border and will go only few block from the border. $20-30 one way. I will use pedestrian crossing back on my own. But I will go at night, so if you live in TJ, I would be your ride home.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I get my cars major services there all the time,Labor here is like $90 hour there it is like $15 parts are cheaper too. I have a Ford Explorer needed a steering rack $900 here alignment $60 here , 4 wheel brake job $400 here . So in Otay 10 minutes or less from the border got it all done for $400.
the shop also owns a body shop and an upholstery shop. I had a torn seat up here wanted $350 to replace the entire seat back. They sewed in a close matched piece for $25 . It is not exact match but for $325 less I am very happy.

I needed about $1,300 in misc body work done they did it for $375 . For less than the cost of the rack got it all done. It is a hassle crossing the border back and forth as for body work you have to leave the car a few days . But for minor mechanical you can drop it off and wait or go into town and eat and come back in a few hours when its done. The shop is dirty and the guys do not wear nice clean uniforms but the work I have had done has been solid. Body work is not 5 star quality more like 3-3.5 stars but for the difference in price I did not mind that the paint did not match perfectly. Which was partly my fault it was cold weather and they did not want to paint but i needed the car back and pushed the issue.

If you just need body work and have an insurance deductible and the damage is a significant amount I have a 5 star body shop in National City will often fix it for just the insurance check and save you the deductible. you go down there and they will look at it tell you what they can do for you,
Could you please pm me the details of the body work shop?... I need to fix my hail damaged vehicle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.