Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting trip the other night. Picked up a rider from a residence and transported to a location near a park at about 2300 hrs. The guy got out where two other guys were and walked up to them.

I drove on down a little ways and turned around. As I was driving past them, one of the other guys already there tried to flag me down for a ride. I noticed his gold grill and realized this may be an unsafe situation. Told the guy that I had another rider to pick up and created air between us quick.

This really got me to thinking about who we are transporting. Most of the time, Uber doesn't even know if the person were giving a ride is in fact the person who had requested the ride.

• Do you know if your rider is concealing a firearm? Legally or not.
  • Is your rider carrying drugs on them?
  • Are you transporting wanted criminals?

If a driver gets stopped by law enforcement while transporting and the rider stashes their weapon or drugs in your vehicle, it could result in criminal charges resulting against the driver.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

·
Registered
746 Posts
A. Never pick up pax in a shitty part of town.
B. If they look like they might be dealers, they're dealers. Cancel, move on, don't sweat the cancellation issue it beats jail or death.
C. If a pax wants to stop in a park to commisserate with his gold-toothed buddies, high-tail it the instant he's out of your car and don't look back. Report him to Uber for illegal activities.

As to the gun issue, if they're legal why would I care? If it's illegal, do you suggest scanners or a pat down? That's the hazard of the job....hence why my A-C are bedrock and don't get deviated from. You are responsible for you, don't be stupid for a $7 fare.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Likewise, I'd be careful where and who I'm picking up at night as an uber driver. I picked up a guy from an area in my city generally considered low-end who conducted (prettt sure) a drug deal on route. He told me to stop at a random bus stop on the way and met this thug looking guy (Who was already there) and did the bro-handshake-hug for 5 seconds and got back into the car to his destination.

This was around 11:30pm on a Thursday in Jan. They exchanged something for sure and for all I know it could have been some type of illegal drug he was transporting. As Uber drivers, we would be liable for anything they leave in the vehicle after the ride. My suggestion is to inspect the vehicle every few shifts and definitely after any rides that sound an alert.

As for transport criminals unknowingly who might be illegally armed, we have to make judgment calls akin to your situation when picking up riders. Stereotypes exist for a reason; so if you see a thug looking guy regardless of skin colour with pants riding low and a bulge looking like a possible firearm on his waist , you drive away.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Is the person sitting next to you, walking down the street near you, in an office near you....

Packing a gun, carrying drugs, has a criminal warrant, or criminal past?

You would be surprised, even in SF, how many people are carrying a gun or drugs or has a "violent" criminal past.

Really, how do you people leave your homes?

·
Registered
746 Posts
You would be surprised, even in SF, how many people are carrying a gun or drugs or has a "violent" criminal past.
I would be surprised, beacause Californistan has sensible gun laws. Surely they must work to prevent this.

Anywho, how I leave my house: Step one is to not live in a shit hole with a high crime concentraiton, step two is to avoid people who undeniably belong to the demographic responsible for 71% of all drug related offenses and over half the violent felonies. Step three is to actively court docile, respectful, affluent yuppies on their way to a dinner date.

That really helps my comfort level leaving the house.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Is the person sitting next to you, walking down the street near you, in an office near you....

Really, how do you people leave your homes?
His question is in context of transporting such a person as an Uber driver and the danger it presents due to close interactions. When you're rider is that criminal, you have been directly involved with him/her. It gets personal as them leading you to their drug dealer allies/friends, them leaving illegal substances in your car, and dangers of confrontation. That's different from random joe on the street who might be a criminal you'll most likely never interact with especially at that level of being his driver.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I would be surprised, beacause Californistan has sensible gun laws. Surely they must work to prevent this.

Anywho, how I leave my house: Step one is to not live in a shit hole with a high crime concentraiton, step two is to avoid people who undeniably belong to the demographic responsible for 71% of all drug related offenses and over half the violent felonies. Step three is to actively court docile, respectful, affluent yuppies on their way to a dinner date.

That really helps my comfort level leaving the house.
You think trying to prevent people from CCW is sensible? Here's a news flash for you....

Getting a CCW permit is pretty easy in ca. Now, criminal supporting cities like SF might be tight on those permits, but most other counties have no trouble issuing them. And SF has no choice but to honor them.

His question is in context of transporting such a person as an Uber driver and the danger it presents due to close interactions. When you're rider is that criminal, you have been directly involved with him/her. It gets personal as them leading you to their drug dealer allies/friends, them leaving illegal substances in your car, and dangers of confrontation. That's different from random joe on the street who might be a criminal you'll most likely never interact with especially at that level of being his driver.
Yet, you do everything you just mentioned in the course of your day. You work with them. You eat with them. They prepare your food. They watch you everywhere you go. And you don't think you are more at risk out side the car than in? You should look up the amount of incidents wrt Uber and Lyft drivers. The reports of violent incidents to rides given is extremely low. Taxi drivers have it bad. We don't.

F you are a driver, I bet I could get a drug dog to honestly key on your car. Doesn't mean any of those people were a threat to you.

People are far too fragile these days.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Umm, criminals don't want or need or try to get a CCW.
Because, umm, they're criminals?

Those "sensible gun laws" just prevent law abiding from getting guns.

But when I read that comment above, I thought the poster was just
Shocked! Shocked, I Say! That someone walking down the street might be a criminal with a gun...
ROFL

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I've never met a sensible gun law.

Driving an uber we all have plausible deniability. You don't know them they don't know you. Cops know that. Same with taxi drivers. Carrying a firearm in an uber is a violation of uber terms of service, but does it happen? Probably every day. If I kicked out everybody who had dope on them I'd never get a fare, especially in Detroit lol.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
I had an interesting trip the other night. Picked up a rider from a residence and transported to a location near a park at about 2300 hrs. The guy got out where two other guys were and walked up to them.

I drove on down a little ways and turned around. As I was driving past them, one of the other guys already there tried to flag me down for a ride. I noticed his gold grill and realized this may be an unsafe situation. Told the guy that I had another rider to pick up and created air between us quick.

This really got me to thinking about who we are transporting. Most of the time, Uber doesn't even know if the person were giving a ride is in fact the person who had requested the ride.

• Do you know if your rider is concealing a firearm? Legally or not.
  • Is your rider carrying drugs on them?
  • Are you transporting wanted criminals?

If a driver gets stopped by law enforcement while transporting and the rider stashes their weapon or drugs in your vehicle, it could result in criminal charges resulting against the driver.

Has anyone else been in this situation?
I used to get in these situations often as a taxi driver, I rarely get into them as an Uber driver. A dealer would be a fool to take an Uber, which is tracked by satellite, but I suppose they do.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Some of the richest drug dealers are in the nicest parts of town. That's where the money is. They are clean and polite and dress well. They don't draw unnecessary attention to themselves.

You'd be surprised who you drive around town...no matter what part of town you're in.
Hey bud, no idea you're from Dallas. Do you drive in Toronto or where you just answering my questions in the Toronto section?

·
Registered
566 Posts
The person on the street isn't going to get your car impounded if you get stopped. If there are drugs in the car, you have zero protection (in this state) from arrest and having your car impounded. A quick thinking dealer would tell the cops you were the dealer and agree to testify if they drop the charges.

Mocking people because they're concerned about a legitimate and serious risk doesn't exactly make you look good.

Which reminds me, I should go search under and between my car seats, the seat pockets and vacuum again.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
I assume all people are armed. It is possible to carry a gun without any discernible bulge.

As for contraband the pax have, try not to get pulled over. And if you do get pulled over hope your pax keeps their mouths shut, keeps that crap out of plain view.

Also, always deny any request the officer makes to do a search. It can NEVER help to allow a search for ANY reason. If you allow a search, anything they find can be used against you. If you forbid a search, they cannot search without cause to do so, and if they do anyway, any evidence they find gets thrown out as fruit of the poisonous tree

How are they going to establish that cause if you don't consent to a search? Usually because the contraband is in plain sight, someone says something stupid, or maybe they recognize your pax as a wanted criminal. In the case of the latter, hopefully they'll realize it isn't your fault and associate the fact that he is a wanted criminal with the likelihood that the contraband belongs to him and not you.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The person on the street isn't going to get your car impounded if you get stopped. If there are drugs in the car, you have zero protection (in this state) from arrest and having your car impounded. A quick thinking dealer would tell the cops you were the dealer and agree to testify if they drop the charges.

Mocking people because they're concerned about a legitimate and serious risk doesn't exactly make you look good.

Which reminds me, I should go search under and between my car seats, the seat pockets and vacuum again.
That's Florida. And even then they are not going to arbitrator any arrest an Uber driver because they pulled a drug dealer out of their car.

Car impounded? Please. Toss out the number of rides Uber does everyday and contrast that to how many cars total that have been impounded because of a passenger in possession of drugs. As for the quick thinking drug dealer? That's a laugh...I will take that Pepsi challenge in any state of the union. I won't even be cuffed. The dealer however will have helped build a case against them. Easily proved he lied which is a consciousness of guilt factor in court. And by the way.....

Why would a dealer need to cut a deal when he is saying you are the dealer? You didn't say the dealer did anything to be arrested for. Now, I know you will now add to the story to try and make your point. Problem is, like real life, trying to fabricate a relationship with someone you don't know or know anything about, on the fly, to people trained to spot such an obvious lie as this......well......maybe in the movies. Real life? Not so much. It would be interesting to see how you explain how someone you don't know, never met before, couldn't tell the police any personal information, was placed randomly by a ride share app, all of which is simply verifiable by the app you are using.....and the information generally available on your cell phone.......yea.....it's not even a bad B flick script.

And no one is being mocked. You simply read that fabrication into the conversation. Fact is, people's imaginations run away with them on the net. Yes, there is a risk. Thing is, it's extremely low. If you were to believe everything on this board, you have to wonder why the streets of America isn't littered with the corpses of Uber drivers. Just peruse a little. If this job was anywhere nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be....the vast majority of people on this board would even consider doing it.

I could complain about having been sexually assualted while driving Uber. It would be a valid complaint. I could go on about how traumatized I was by the situation. The suspect grabbed me forcefully. Forced my head against parts of their bodies that are considered sexual organs. It was so humiliating.....

Well, until you hear the part how it was a couple of college girls up from socal for the Stanford game. They didn't have money for a tip so they rubbed their boobs on my face. Maybe it wasn't so bad. But technically, still a sexual assault.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Hey bud, no idea you're from Dallas. Do you drive in Toronto or where you just answering my questions in the Toronto section?
I've been to Toronto. I don't drive rideshare for Toronto, although I imagine that would be fun.

Remind me. What question was I answering?

Also, I don't purposely haunt the Toronto section. I just keep clicking "New Posts" to see what comes up and it just shows everything, regardless of what section it is in.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I've been to Toronto. I don't drive rideshare for Toronto, although I imagine that would be fun.

Remind me. What question was I answering?

Also, I don't purposely haunt the Toronto section. I just keep clicking "New Posts" to see what comes up and it just shows everything, regardless of what section it is in.
Gotcha, I'm trying to expand my viewings and posts as well to learn about other cities. The post you replied to, I was asking about selling my Sonata and using my 3 Series for Uber select.

Cool dude, I grew up in Cali (Orange County), and visited Dallas back in 2003. I miss LA but grew to appreciate Canada. Toronto is a live city, I'm sure you'll love it here apart from driving. How's it in Dallas? Uber and otherwise.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Toronto has a very nice theatre district. 3 1/2 short hours from Metro Detroit.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Toronto has a very nice theatre district. 3 1/2 short hours from Metro Detroit.
Yes, I've been told it does though I've never been.

Wish I had some good things to say about downtown Detroit. Last time I was there in 2009, the city seemed to be run by thugs. There were typical gangster looking guys in low rider cars, massive groups of bikers, they seemed and were disrespectful in talk, and I could swear I even heard a gun shot.

Hope things are better there now. I know 90s-2000s were the popular time to be "gangsta" and black/hip culture was in and cool (still is though different style). Lol, I remember I even use to wear baggy clothes occasionally and didn't live anywhere near a predominantly 'thug/hood' city though there were many Mexicans. All cool people in Orange County; kinda like the OC if anyone's seen it. Good ol times.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Wish I had some good things to say about downtown Detroit. Last time I was there in 2009, the city seemed to be run by thugs. There were typical gangster looking guys in low rider cars, massive groups of bikers, they seemed and were disrespectful in talk, and I could swear I even heard a gun shot.
Sounds like a tame Thursday night. LOL. Yes - things have changed - in fact the city is littered now with hipsters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts