Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at DCA around 10:30pm this evening expecting less than 10 minute wait for UberX. First driver sends me a text from GW Parkway asking for my destination and I respond with "home" and he quickly replies with "I need your destination in order to meet you." My reply of "that is not how Uber works" got no response, just a cancellation. Figuring that this may be an outlier I put in a second request and the same thing happened again...different drivers. Is this a new trend? I cannot ever imagine pulling this stunt - you accept the good trips with the bad.

Unrelated, but I had my first UberTaxi encounter on Sunday at ORD...really hoping that that model does not infect DC. Typical horrid taxi experience...argumentative driver...need to wait in line to speak with a dispatcher. No idea how this benefits riders.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Arrived at DCA around 10:30pm this evening expecting less than 10 minute wait for UberX. First driver sends me a text from GW Parkway asking for my destination and I respond with "home" and he quickly replies with "I need your destination in order to meet you." My reply of "that is not how Uber works" got no response, just a cancellation. Figuring that this may be an outlier I put in a second request and the same thing happened again...different drivers. Is this a new trend? I cannot ever imagine pulling this stunt - you accept the good trips with the bad.

Unrelated, but I had my first UberTaxi encounter on Sunday at ORD...really hoping that that model does not infect DC. Typical horrid taxi experience...argumentative driver...need to wait in line to speak with a dispatcher. No idea how this benefits riders.
Ordering an UberTaxi from ORD is the epitomy of tomfoolery, the starter will simply give you the first available cab, for no 2$ booking fee. I'm surprised a driver would even accept an Uber order from the airport, but that's probably why you got a terrible driver. lol.

·
Registered
776 Posts
As Uber continues to lower the rate, expect the level of service to follow.

You get what you pay for.
I couldn't have said it any better. Uber keeps on devaluing the brand. Soon riding the city bus will feel like a luxury level service experience compared to riding an Uber. Which is not surprising given that bus drivers are much better paid than Uber drivers.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordering an UberTaxi from ORD is the epitomy of tomfoolery, the starter will simply give you the first available cab, for no 2$ booking fee. I'm surprised a driver would even accept an Uber order from the airport, but that's probably why you got a terrible driver. lol.
Wish that I had known that in advance. It took me a second to realize that there was no UberX option, but I decided to play along entering my location - Terminal 3 Vestibule 3H. First driver appeared to be 5 minutes away, but he calls me about 10 minutes later and asks where I am. He tells me to meet him at the Hilton...WTF? I am not dragging my ass around O'Hare, so he cancels the ride. Something similar with the second driver. Finally get a cooperative driver who tells me to see a guy wearing an orange vest who must be a dispatcher. Apart from not having to wait in line with 60 people what is the benefit to riders?

Uber at least needs to install some signage at ORD explaining the process since there were at least four other people staring at their phones and cursing. I have used Uber in at least 15 US cities and 5 in Europe...the situation in Chicago is like being in some third world country.

My UberX experience in the afternoon was not much better. Standing at the corner of Michigan and Wacker (diagonal from the Trump Tower) I had a driver do everything he could over 15+ minutes not to find me. One second he was turning the corner and suddenly he is 5 minutes away. Finally accepted a ride with a taxi...nice Korean guy in a new Prius...to MDW. Not sure that I am going to experiment with Uber next week. How is the system so effed up there?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My understanding is that drivers are not supposed to filter pings by destination. Your DCA experience could not possibly be condoned by UBER. Having said that however it would be great if we COULD filter pings by destination....would help folks like me, part timers who Uber on the way to work.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My understanding is that drivers are not supposed to filter pings by destination. Your DCA experience could not possibly be condoned by UBER. Having said that however it would be great if we COULD filter pings by destination....would help folks like me, part timers who Uber on the way to work.
This behavior should be a quick path to deactivation since accepting ANY ride is the foundation of Uber. No one likes to get a trip that leaves you with little chance for a return ride and lots of dead miles, but it happens. If you are at the airport you either accept rides or you do not accept rides. I understand why the drivers did this, but if this becomes a trend then the model becomes unreliable.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This behavior should be a quick path to deactivation since accepting ANY ride is the foundation of Uber. No one likes to get a trip that leaves you with little chance for a return ride and lots of dead miles, but it happens. If you are at the airport you either accept rides or you do not accept rides. I understand why the drivers did this, but if this becomes a trend then the model becomes unreliable.
There's a simple solution. Stop charging that ridiculous low starting fare and do what other vehicles for hire do so the driver doesn't get screwed when there is a short trip.

·
Premium Member
8,236 Posts
Model is doomed to be unreliable the more rate cuts they do but expect service to be better and better. You pay drivers decent rates and higher min fare and they won't worry about occasional short rides and won't worry about destination before they pick them up

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There's a simple solution. Stop charging that ridiculous low starting fare and do what other vehicles for hire do so the driver doesn't get screwed when there is a short trip.
Like it or not, you accept Uber's terms when you agree to be a driver and that includes taking riders to the requested destination. I don't like getting a trip from 14th & U to College Park at 2am on a Saturday when I am trying to head home to Fairfax, but that is the risk you take staying online.

I thought about trying to guess a "good" destination and Capitol Hill came to mind, but figured that that would end badly.

·
Registered
57 Posts

It is my understanding that uber drivers are required to ask the pax for the destination before picking them up at an airport.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

This is the new Uber.

Uber has slashed their rates so low that drivers are forced to protect themselves. Passengers don't tip and take advantage of the low rates. Uber passengers should be ashamed of themselves. Drivers need to find out a persons destinations in order to not drive for free. Uber created this mess by exploiting their drivers.

Saying that we should "take the good with the bad" is the typical attitude of the Uber passenger. Why should a driver who, as Uber says, is an independent contractor, have to take "bad" rides? As an independent contractor, they should have the right to refuse rides that are not profitable.

Do you tip when you take an Uber for a minimum fare? Or do you chalk it up to, "well the driver has to take the good with the bad, so I don't care that he only made three dollars off of this fare?"

It's Uber's horrible treatment of their drivers and the horrible attitude of passengers that have made us stand up for ourselves.

Try treating your Uber driver like you would like to be treated.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope you don't. It sounds like your would-be Uber driver would be better off if you took a taxi.
FYI...I am a driver as well and totally understand the issue. It would be great if we could only get 10+ mile trips with no traffic and 2.5x surge, but that is not reality.

I don't feel a need to apologize to a driver for requesting a short trip in DC...it comes with the territory. I usually tip $1-2 on fares under $10, but it depends on the driver and things like whether he seems to take care of his car. I generally do not tip airport rides, but last night I gave my driver $5 on a $27 fare.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts

I never do that. Never will do. But, since you are bringing it up, please take another step and ask Uber to increase the RIDICULOUS rates and maybe add a TIP Button to the app. Uber must not stop any customer from tipping a driver if a service provided was great and needs to be appreciated.

Do you ever feel guilty when you call a driver 10+ minutes and only go the minimum fare? that driver just wasted 20+ minutes and his take home is $2.40. Out of that $2.40, how do you expect the driver to make money?

Channel some of your frustration to Uber corporate and not to the drivers being taken advantage of with these ridiculously low rates.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I never do that. Never will do. But, since you are bringing it up, please take another step and ask Uber to increase the RIDICULOUS rates and maybe add a TIP Button to the app. Uber must not stop any customer from tipping a driver if a service provided was great and needs to be appreciated.

Do you ever feel guilty when you call a driver 10+ minutes and only go the minimum fare? that driver just wasted 20+ minutes and his take home is $2.40. Out of that $2.40, how do you expect the driver to make money?

Channel some of your frustration to Uber corporate and not to the drivers being taken advantage of with these ridiculously low rates.
Read my earlier post...I am a driver as well. My frustration is with bad behavior...if you don't like the rates, don't drive. Uber has no incentive to raise the rates, at least as long as they continue to have people willing to sign up expecting to make easy money.

·
Premium Member
5,437 Posts
Read my earlier post...I am a driver as well. My frustration is with bad behavior...if you don't like the rates, don't drive. Uber has no incentive to raise the rates, at least as long as they continue to have people willing to sign up expecting to make easy money.
Then don't get pissed as a passenger when drivers call and ask for destination. I cancel on IAD and BWI requests because it's too many dead miles for me.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts