Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There’s a legitimate need to let the drivers get a more reasonable number of seconds to accept or reject their next dispatched trip, especially if you’re driving on the freeway at 75 miles an hour with your pax.
But, even while cruising your location, sometimes traffic and distractions makes it very difficult to analyze the fares that come your way.

Easy solution is to offer at least one full minute for the drivers, just like Door Dash does for some orders.
We’re not machines or computers that can review and digest information in seconds!
Font Red Pattern Logo Circle

• Love
Reactions: _Tron_

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They can afford to do that, when they have a sufficient number of drivers available, but most of the time the number of drivers is limited and they keep bombarding me and other drivers with practically hundreds of requests in a matter of minutes.
Obviously, being reasonable with the ants is not part of their cutthroat method of doing business.

Have you wondered why some drivers have such very high cancellation rates? It's not hard to figure out and also a good number of trips go unmatched for similar reasons.

Reactions: _Tron_

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Would be nice but it's not going to happen. After thousands of offers experienced drivers can quickly process and decide, newer ones can't do it that fast. However, safety is an important factor because as you say often you are driving and you risk an accident trying to utilize the app in traffic.

It's a legitimate issue but they aren't going to give you more time. Safety is first and foremost so sometimes you just can't look at, and study the offer. Just let them go till you can safely look and if you lose an offer because of it....oh well.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
The reason the time to accept is so short is driven by the Rider, not Uber. Who is going to wait several minutes to get matched to a driver? Then find out your driver is 12 minutes away?

The name of the game is quick pick ups. The nature of Uber/Lyft isn't modeled for drivers to cherry pick the most profitable rides, it's model is to provide Riders quick pick ups.

I would guess that Uber/Lyft would love to deactivate every cherry picker in their systems, but haven't figured out a legal way to do it, so they play games to make cherry picking difficult.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
It comes down to transparency. Uber wants you to seem you have control. So it's going to give you all needed information that they think you need to know. But, it's gives you barely enough time to understand what you look at in UNDER X seconds.

Ever wonder why high $ ping counter seems to be shorter then a low $ ping seems longer.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
The reason the time to accept is so short is driven by the Rider, not Uber. Who is going to wait several minutes to get matched to a driver? Then find out your driver is 12 minutes away?

The name of the game is quick pick ups. The nature of Uber/Lyft isn't modeled for drivers to cherry pick the most profitable rides, it's model is to provide Riders quick pick ups.

I would guess that Uber/Lyft would love to deactivate every cherry picker in their systems, but haven't figured out a legal way to do it, so they play games to make cherry picking difficult.

Just my opinion.
Even when I'm 2 minutes away, I make my riders wait 12 minutes, it teaches them patience is a virtue

·
Premium Member
3,900 Posts
Update . Uber now shows where the pick up and drop off locations are . Also the value of the ride.
There all refused here. Why work for 25 % less then lyft

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts

Just my opinion.
At the cab company...

They had to lower the amount of time we had to accept or reject a ping for exactly this reason a while back.

Long story short come closing time at universal studios there could be 20 cabs lined up, and if a ping comes in to one of the hotels nearby the customer might have to wait 10-15 times y seconds for the fare to make it's way through the queue to be declined and hit someone who was willing to take it.

Why would they not take it? Well it might be 10 minutes away and they might load in 5 if they decline it. This same thing happened elsewhwere around town but not to the extreme it did there.

Reactions: Trafficat

·
Registered
3 Posts
There’s a legitimate need to let the drivers get a more reasonable number of seconds to accept or reject their next dispatched trip, especially if you’re driving on the freeway at 75 miles an hour with your pax.
But, even while cruising your location, sometimes traffic and distractions makes it very difficult to analyze the fares that come your way.

Easy solution is to offer at least one full minute for the drivers, just like Door Dash does for some orders.
We’re not machines or computers that can review and digest information in seconds! View attachment 614505
you dont need a lot of time. just look at the amount. I turn down anything under $10 and will not go inside malls, or take fast food pickups. Also, check the mileage with the fare. If it does not pay at least $1 per mile turn it down. Now for the gas burner deliveries like the ones that pay say $20 and it is lets say 18 miles away, TURN IT DOWN!!! Sorry, I do not deliver cold food.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s funny how door dash gives you more time to accept the shitty orders.
Uber isn’t that great, but lately they’ve been dishing too many far away pickups that pay decent amounts, but waste 20-30 minutes of your time, gas, and possibly getting canceled at the last minute.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Uber does this too IIRC.

The amount of audible pings can vary greatly based on what I perceive to be the desirability of the ride, or the number of times it has been passed around already. Some ride pings are 4 and other are 8-9........interesting eh ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
well there are orders that are going to be turned down several times - BECAUSE THE AMOUNT OF TIME, PAY, AND DISTANCE THERE AND BACK IS NOT WORTH IT. I have turned down orders paying $25 or $30 with tip that are 25 miles away. Not doing that unless the amount is guaranteed, but the customer can also take that tip away. Some of these people put a big tip on the order just to get it delivered and then cancel the tip after it is delivered. So what do you get for that big order? $10? It has happened to me which is why I wont take those

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
After thousands of offers experienced drivers can quickly process and decide, newer ones can't do it that fast.

Safety is first and foremost so sometimes you just can't look at, and study the offer. Just let them go till you can safely look and if you lose an offer because of it....oh well.
I have thousands of rides, but still can't process all the UP FRONT details in 5 seconds. That's both pickup and destination info. Of course I am always the last to get my cards sorted when playing Hearts with my homies.

And I honestly don't believe that Uber sets request time based upon safety. Maybe it's a factor, but not to Uber. First of all, time to advertise a ride varies wildly by market, yet everyone uses an automobile to do the job. Second, the time it takes to perform basic app functions, from everything to going online to dialing a pax takes far too many taps then actually needed. A company concerned about driver safety would streamline interaction with the app much better.

No, it's driver manipulation. And all those who have noted above that the policy increases cancellations -which riders hate far more than taking a few seconds longer to get a request accepted- are correct.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
If Uber/Lyft was honestly treating their drivers as independent contractors, they'd give us a filter option on the app which would block pings not meeting certain criteria.

For example, if you only want to accept pickups that are within 8 minutes and come from a passenger with a rating of 4.9 or higher, they could build that filter into the app. Any ping that comes through would be automatically accepted based on the criteria you have selected. Of course, Uber/Lyft will never do that, because problematic passengers would never get their pings accepted.

So, they've decided to blitz you with a split-second decision during a moment when your eyes should be on the road. That almost certainly guarantees a higher acceptance rate, since most drivers want to keep their seats filled with passengers. The Uber app is a marvel of cynical psy-ops technology, built specifically to make sure you accept as many questionable pings as humanly possible.

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
So, they've decided to blitz you with a split-second decision during a moment when your eyes should be on the road. That almost certainly guarantees a higher acceptance rate, since most drivers want to keep their seats filled with passengers. The Uber app is a marvel of cynical psy-ops technology, built specifically to make sure you accept as many questionable pings as humanly possible.
That's beautiful.

Thread closed!

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,975 Posts
Uber does not want to give you enough time to figure out if it is worth it or not. I look at direction and time. I know my market and I know what a profitable request is.

I have caught Uber several times giving the wrong direction in the ping to get someone to take the ride. In those cases I let the PAX know Uber misrepresented the trip and I remain silent. After a few seconds I say sorry I can't go farther away from home as I am ending my shift and Uber miss represented this trip to get me to take it. Amazing how fast the PAX is offering up cash. They already know it took too long to get a driver to accept the ride so they pay up for it.

I very rarely have to cancel any of these trips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts