Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've seen a LOT of coverage about the tragic murder of Samantha Josephson in South Carolina and it't really disturbing. Of course, the fact that a young woman, or anyone else, has their life taken by another is unspeakable, but the coverage about how to make ride sharing more safe has been atrocious.

I've seen expert after expert suggest that as a passenger enters a ride share vehicle, the driver should give the passenger the drivers name AND the passengers name. I think this is completely absurd. Do we drivers deserve no security at all?

If I'm understanding these jackasses correctly, they want the passenger to have my car's make and model, my car's license plate and for me to give the passenger my name and their name.

That leaves nothing for we drivers to use to confirm that we have the right passenger! As most of us, I've had the wrong passenger get in my car. I've even had them lie to me when I confirm their name.

This is outrageous!

For once, I'm not blaming Uber or Lyft. At least with Uber, I know the policy is to ask the driver's name as they enter the vehicle and give my name when and if asked by the passenger. I don't know what Lyft's policy is but I assume it's the same.

There needs to be a serious communications campaign to ensure that driver safety is just as important as passenger safety. I'm very anxious to hear what the rest of you think.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I don't know what driver would disagree with you, the pax have all the information they need to ascertain the correct ride. We have their name and destination. I won't be giving my name and the passenger their name, they must tell me one or the other.

I also won't hold my breath for a campaign about driver safety. So we always need to be alert and aware....keep the doors locked upon arrival, and if someone seems squirrelly, cancel.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
As a driver, my MO is always to verify the name of the passenger when they get in my car. If they answer correctly I introduce myself, start the trip and verify the destination.

I always feel unsafe letting strangers in my car, that's why I always follow through on this security protocol, as ~95% of passengers just get in the car and don't bother introducing themselves or asking driver's name.

As a passenger taking Uber, I always ask the driver before getting in the car: "Are you here for -my-name-?". I'd just feel rude getting in someone's car without making sure first they are here for me. Although I have full description of the car and their license plate.

Oh, and if I'm in the city or other heavily populated area, or at bar close - all doors are locked until the passenger verifies their name through the half open window.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I always verify the passengers name, my name and their destination. They say their name, then I say my name and ask if X destination is correct. Seems like a perfectly reasonable approach to me. I'm going to start keeping my doors locked as you suggest pilot. That's an excellent idea.

·
Registered
179 Posts
the rider has the ability to check my license plate and ask me my name.

but when the rider asks, "who are you here for?" - WRONG.

YOU have to give me YOUR name.
"Whats your name?" is another dumb question. Either they give me their name or ask if Im the driver theyre waiting for for. If either one checks out, I correspond with the other one name. And, just like Geebake, I ask the destination to confirm its the right pax and correct direction.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I honestly think all the Uber/lyft car should have different plates just like NYC once so the pac knows it’s a Uber/lyft car and not just some random car that’s pretending to be one of us. I’m getting tired of pax acting like I’m some criminal or something.

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
As a driver, my MO is always to verify the name of the passenger when they get in my car. If they answer correctly I introduce myself, start the trip and verify the destination.

I always feel unsafe letting strangers in my car, that's why I always follow through on this security protocol, as ~95% of passengers just get in the car and don't bother introducing themselves or asking driver's name.

As a passenger taking Uber, I always ask the driver before getting in the car: "Are you here for -my-name-?". I'd just feel rude getting in someone's car without making sure first they are here for me. Although I have full description of the car and their license plate.

Oh, and if I'm in the city or other heavily populated area, or at bar close - all doors are locked until the passenger verifies their name through the half open window.
Change your protocol regardless of where you are city, populated, or rural... keep doors locked and passengers out before letting then in... get their name - "what is the name on the account", once they get in confirm destination - "where are we going today".

Btw... most of my pax come to the car asking my name or are you here for "their name"

·
Registered
391 Posts
They have our license plate information. How hard is it to simply walk around and see if it matches the one on the app? For us drivers, we do have to protect ourselves too. It should be mandatory for profile photos of the pax.

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
They have our license plate information. How hard is it to simply walk around and see if it matches the one on the app? For us drivers, we do have to protect ourselves too. It should be mandatory for profile photos of the pax.
Agreed. Only one pax ever took the time to check my license plate. One! How hard is that to do? ?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Have never picked up the wrong rider, but have called rider and had them "say I am already in my uber." I reply "No you are not!" Wait the appropriate time and cancel. Good luck to the driver who has them.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
On 3 separate occasions today groups of girls/women who I'm supposed to be picking up, would not give me the name on the account. Even after me telling them my name. It gets weird. I explained that them telling me their name is the only way for me to verify that they are the person I'm supposed to be picking up... it's ridiculous. I literally feel like during this conversation they are trying to figure out whether I'm some kind of maniac.

Whoever is spreading idea that the passenger shouldn't tell the driver their name has really no idea how the system works and needs to be stopped.

I'm all for everyone being cautious and making sure they're getting in the right car, but this s***'s ridiculous, it's a little too far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
On 3 separate occasions today groups of girls/women who I'm supposed to be picking up, would not give me the name on the account. Even after me telling them my name. It gets weird. I explained that them telling me their name is the only way for me to verify that they are the person I'm supposed to be picking up... it's ridiculous. I literally feel like during this conversation they are trying to figure out whether I'm some kind of maniac.

Whoever is spreading idea that the passenger shouldn't tell the driver their name has really no idea how the system works and needs to be stopped.

I'm all for everyone being cautious and making sure they're getting in the right car, but this s***'s ridiculous, it's a little too far.
How many were "Madison" or "Ashley"

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
I ask "who's your daddy?". If the answer is anything other than my name I cancel.
WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!

the media and other riders tell others "do not give them your name!"

Uber has not been telling riders this.

most of the time I keep my doors locked and crack my windows to ask their name. NOW, I do it all the time.

know who gets pissed off the most when I don't unlock the doors until they give me their name? POOL PAX!

they're too busy on phone calls, or repeatedly trying my door handle and cannot hear me ask the name. then I ask a second time, "can I have your name please" - then they get all mad and cranky entering my car. I ask them, "IS SOMETHING WRONG?" some keep their mouths shut, and others say my doors were locked for too long or nobody else asks their name... or just plain give me an attitude. I say SORRY-- my doors stay locked until I verify the name. this one pipsqueak says "whatever just drive already" - I immediately stopped and said, "uh, you can leave."

i ain't taking anyone's crap.
YOU'RE IN MY CAR...?
YOU PLAY BY MY RULES.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
So, I've seen a LOT of coverage about the tragic murder of Samantha Josephson in South Carolina and it't really disturbing. Of course, the fact that a young woman, or anyone else, has their life taken by another is unspeakable, but the coverage about how to make ride sharing more safe has been atrocious.

I've seen expert after expert suggest that as a passenger enters a ride share vehicle, the driver should give the passenger the drivers name AND the passengers name. I think this is completely absurd. Do we drivers deserve no security at all?

If I'm understanding these jackasses correctly, they want the passenger to have my car's make and model, my car's license plate and for me to give the passenger my name and their name.

That leaves nothing for we drivers to use to confirm that we have the right passenger! As most of us, I've had the wrong passenger get in my car. I've even had them lie to me when I confirm their name.

This is outrageous!

For once, I'm not blaming Uber or Lyft. At least with Uber, I know the policy is to ask the driver's name as they enter the vehicle and give my name when and if asked by the passenger. I don't know what Lyft's policy is but I assume it's the same.

There needs to be a serious communications campaign to ensure that driver safety is just as important as passenger safety. I'm very anxious to hear ards and drink/ stoned what the rest of you think.
About a year ago, Uber wrote that they were going to have paxes picture ID. Obviously they never did it. Most likely because that would cut into other riders using a cardholder's card ( including stolen cards and drunks)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN!

the media and other riders tell others "do not give them your name!"

Uber has not been telling riders this.

most of the time I keep my doors locked and crack my windows to ask their name. NOW, I do it all the time.

know who gets pissed off the most when I don't unlock the doors until they give me their name? POOL PAX!

they're too busy on phone calls, or repeatedly trying my door handle and cannot hear me ask the name. then I ask a second time, "can I have your name please" - then they get all mad and cranky entering my car. I ask them, "IS SOMETHING WRONG?" some keep their mouths shut, and others say my doors were locked for too long or nobody else asks their name... or just plain give me an attitude. I say SORRY-- my doors stay locked until I verify the name. this one pipsqueak says "whatever just drive already" - I immediately stopped and said, "uh, you can leave."

i ain't taking anyone's crap.
YOU'RE IN MY CAR...?
YOU PLAY BY MY RULES.
Hibernation.

Haven't seen you in awhile. Saving up for a vacation?
Saving up to buy a Tesla that I can put in self drive mode and send out to do Uber while I sit home and watch tv :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.