Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here in San Diego today there were no Streak Bonuses. Instead they have a Driver Bonus. The problem is it eats 2/3 your profit…and gas eats up 1/3. Guess we’ll be driving for free. The Drive Bonus today is $100 for 20 rides! I barely make 20 rides on a busy Saturday all day. I would have to start work at 7 am and work till midnight to MAYBE to make 20. I can tell you now…today its impossible to make my quota and I’ve lost any chance of any bonus money for the day. I see no Streak bonus all this week so far. Bonuses makes up for almost 50% of my pay. Not to mention this new bonus will add more hours on road, lowering our hourly rate and longer days…and wasting more gas at $6 a gallon. Basically work for free…maybe making $10 an hour. I won’t be able to survive at that rate. It’s completely insane. I know Lyft has doubled the rates here about 3 or 4 weeks ago. A lot of my customers asked the doubling rates and Lyft told them with gas prices they had to raise the fares. Where is that money going? We only got 55 cents a ride.

·
Premium Member
15,434 Posts
Now that you've figured out that the game is rigged so that you can't break even ... what are you gonna do?
Different.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you've figured out that the game is rigged so that you can't break even ... what are you gonna do?
Different.
I think I’ll take a couple online courses and get back to full time work….I was already moving to this direction. Started planning this since new year…and all ready signed up for the course. Now it’s a bigger priority.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here in San Diego today there were no Streak Bonuses. Instead they have a Driver Bonus. The problem is it eats 2/3 your profit…and gas eats up 1/3. Guess we’ll be driving for free. The Drive Bonus today is $100 for 20 rides! I barely make 20 rides on a busy Saturday all day. I would have to start work at 7 am and work till midnight to MAYBE to make 20. I can tell you now…today its impossible to make my quota and I’ve lost any chance of any bonus money for the day. I see no Streak bonus all this week so far. Bonuses makes up for almost 50% of my pay. Not to mention this new bonus will add more hours on road, lowering our hourly rate and longer days…and wasting more gas at $6 a gallon. Basically work for free…maybe making $10 an hour. I won’t be able to survive at that rate. It’s completely insane. I know Lyft has doubled the rates here about 3 or 4 weeks ago. A lot of my customers asked the doubling rates and Lyft told them with gas prices they had to raise the fares. Where is that money going? We only got 55 cents a ride.
As a new driver to this region I’m not sure how one does it with Lyft without a surge, streak, or bonus … the minimum fare is just too low and the mileage rates they are paying are pretty ridiculous. Prob not news to this crowd but to see the rates lower the per mile and per min rates on par with Denver makes little sense to me in a way more expensive market.

you’re basically incentivized to kill yourself chasing this ride bonus number that if you don’t get there it’s all for nothing… you can still make a decent number as far as I can tell during the weekend with sticky surges and a little elbow grease. I hadn’t driven since 2019 so to see what this has become is an adjustment. Lyft has basically lowered the rates so low the only way to make up the difference is through ride bonuses and streaks.

I finally had some bonus for ten rides last week which I made an extra 25. This week the offers shakes down to an extra $ 1.22 per ride for 27 rides … yea , no thanks … I can cherry pick and multi app and pick up a few coins without having stinky Lyft passengers tear up my vehicle.

I’ve also noticed that the timing of the pickups tends to be much longer than the eta. I don’t recall them being this off 3 years ago so looks like this is another way to get people to travel slightly further than they otherwise would have.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’ve also noticed that the timing of the pickups tends to be much longer than the eta. I don’t recall them being this off 3 years ago so looks like this is another way to get people to travel slightly further than they otherwise would have.
100% accurate. I noticed this yesterday on quite a few pickups after entering the PU info into Google maps, (I was chasing a Lyft $75/15 ride bonus Combining that with a 3/$18 CTB, I had a decent day.)

Otherwise, I'm cherry picking Uber rides most of the time. 😕

·
Registered
5 Posts
100% accurate. I noticed this yesterday on quite a few pickups after entering the PU info into Google maps, (I was chasing a Lyft $75/15 ride bonus Combining that with a 3/$18 CTB, I had a decent day.)

Otherwise, I'm cherry picking Uber rides most of the time. 😕
All bonuses are a scam. It is behavioral engineering. When you get closer to a bonus, you're more likely to accept any ride. At this point, they offer you less for rides and basically make you pay for your own bonus by accepting rides that give them a bigger spread between what the rider is paying and you're getting. They benefit by getting more rides through the system faster, and you're no further ahead. I completely ignore bonuses that employ this type of behavioral engineering, eg streak bonuses.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Let's say you're dropping off a PAX @ the airport, and you get a PING from a PAX 20+ minutes away...

DECLINE it.

Shuffle for a PAX ideally 5 minutes away or less.

And keep doing that and you should hit 20+ PAX easily.

It helps a LOT if you KNOW your service area.

Would that work? Or do you HAVE to accept EVERY single request to get your bonus?

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Corolla
7,453 Posts
Let's say you're dropping off a PAX @ the airport, and you get a PING from a PAX 20+ minutes away...

DECLINE it.

Shuffle for a PAX ideally 5 minutes away or less.

And keep doing that and you should hit 20+ PAX easily.

It helps a LOT if you KNOW your service area.

Would that work? Or do you HAVE to accept EVERY single request to get your bonus?
You dont get credit for shuffles.
Its generally how ever many rides..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts