Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you touch other people's belongings?
I mean, do you help pax with their luggage in the trunk, or anything like that?
If you damage or lose their stuff, you are responsible.

If it were the airlines, they have a policy on the ticket that limits
their liability to a small amount (less than $100 I believe).
So if your shit gets totally destroyed, you get like $60
even though you put your best $700 suit and your $300 watch
and your $1,000 electronic ***** or whatever in the bag.

But if you're a Uber driver, you are on the hook for the full amount.

Be careful with people's stuff, and hope that crazy pax don't try
to claim that you mishandled or stole their shit, even when you didn't touch it.

https://710wor.iheart.com/content/2018-05-24-woman-sues-uber-for-death-of-suitcase/

Uber refunded her $60 ride and told her to sue the driver for $25,000.
Which she is doing.

(Apparently nobody informed her that her Uber driver is either homeless,
or nearly so, and will never see $25,000 in his remaining lifetime....LOL)

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
This is the ultimate argument on why we should NOT handle luggage. I'm not taki g responsibility because your lazy ass insists on overpacking and then demands me to lift and lower it. You have 2 arms- pick it up your damn self.

·
26,275 Posts
In this case, the driver is responsible, as he took the suitcase out of the trunk. Fubar MIGHT be liable for the fare, but that is about it.
She must be paying her lawyer up front; otherwise no lawyer would take this case. He is not going to get anything out of that driver. It is likely that the only thing of value that the driver has is the car. It might cost her more to seize a beat up eight year old Camry than the car is worth, As it happened in New York, she might not even be able to get that, if it is the driver's only source of income.

The article does indicate that she is suing Uber, still. Even though it is New York, I doubt that the court will require Uber to do anything except refund the fare. If it does hold Uber responsible, that would go beyond the responsibility that the courts, legislators and regulators currently assign to cab companies for the actions of their drivers. Ask me how I know this.

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
That's what your dumb, lazy ass gets for not picking up your own luggage. I NEVER help with luggage unless they're old or disabled. You have arms. Toy packed the bag- PICK IT UP YOUR OWN DAMN SELF.
The problem is that they see it as an entitlement. These riders will down rate you and report you if you don't load their luggage. It's even more ridiculous on Lyft.

I had a pax one time that looked at me funny because I didn't load the trunk, then came in the car and instead of greeting me said "I guess you don't want 5 stars". I responded back with "I guess not".

There was another one, which I made a "love letter" post on that one thread where the person tried to tell me how to do my job. Nope I'm sorry, graying hair does not automatically render you help. Just because you're "older" doesn't mean you'll get extra services. I better see you with a cane and a chipper attitude if you want me to load your bags. In that instance the guy was late 40s early 50s. Nope. Not rocking.

This is the ultimate argument on why we should NOT handle luggage. I'm not taki g responsibility because your lazy ass insists on overpacking and then demands me to lift and lower it. You have 2 arms- pick it up your damn self.
The funny thing is that if they really did over pack they usually ask for help. I don't mind assisting putting it in but I never unload it. Some people travel light but insist on the driver loading the trunk. Nope. That service is standard on UberBlack, not UberX. I've told them that too and they stay quiet

·
Registered
297 Posts
What's the Uber Contract of Carriage say? Hah, Probably isn't one and we're not regulated by the Department of Transportation. What liability do cab companies assume the situation like this? Since Uber is unregulated, how relevant would that be?

·
Banned
5,383 Posts
Cool. I'll take a picture and send it to uber for compensstion. I will milk that puppy.
Good luck with that we have people on here who can not even get a cleaning fee for dog excrement left in their vehicle. Uber does not care about you or I and they are not looking out for us in any way.

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Do you touch other people's belongings?
I mean, do you help pax with their luggage in the trunk, or anything like that?
If you damage or lose their stuff, you are responsible.

If it were the airlines, they have a policy on the ticket that limits
their liability to a small amount (less than $100 I believe).
So if your shit gets totally destroyed, you get like $60
even though you put your best $700 suit and your $300 watch
and your $1,000 electronic ***** or whatever in the bag.

But if you're a Uber driver, you are on the hook for the full amount.

Be careful with people's stuff, and hope that crazy pax don't try
to claim that you mishandled or stole their shit, even when you didn't touch it.

https://710wor.iheart.com/content/2018-05-24-woman-sues-uber-for-death-of-suitcase/

Uber refunded her $60 ride and told her to sue the driver for $25,000.
Which she is doing.

(Apparently nobody informed her that her Uber driver is either homeless,
or nearly so, and will never see $25,000 in his remaining lifetime....LOL)
Why I never help these entitled brats.
If I see anything left in my car, I will throw that crap out and be like...

What suitcase?
Or What wallet?
I didn't see anything

And she ordered POOL...
What a cheapo

She has the means to buy designer clothes and expensive jewelry, but have no money to order X or something

·
Premium Member
7,501 Posts
Why I never help these entitled brats.
If I see anything left in my car, I will throw that crap out and be like...

What suitcase?
Or What wallet?
I didn't see anything

And she ordered POOL...
What a cheapo

She has the means to buy designer clothes and expensive jewelry, but have no money to order X or something
Better than next pax bring you Starbucks latte and cookies.!!!!
May be a wet towel to put on your neck while you drive.
These ******** that make our life miserable all day!!!
Shame on them!!!!

Lol

You have been very restrained lately. So much winning, my friend?

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
You have been very restrained lately. So much winning, my friend?
Just busy lol.
I haven't been driving Uber lately that much.
Only drove like 6 total trips for the past 3 weeks or so.
I just either sleep through the whole weekend or what Netflix and political shows all weekend...

And yes, so much winning....

What and learn how The Art of The Deal unravels with North Korea....

...and look what's being uncovered due to Muller....
SPYGATE....

I tell you dude, the longer this Muller thing goes on, the more it will hurt Democrats

1 - 20 of 48 Posts