Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had on several occasions passengers try to get in my vehicle with adult beverages. The ones I've noticed, I tell them I cannot transport them with an open container. Some have cheerfully obliged by either slamming the remaining contents of the bottle or tossing in the garbage. Others who have given me even the slightest grief have their ride cancelled on the spot.

But over the weekend, I picked up someone who must have snuck it in his pocket and I found an empty beer bottle after the ride (I check for missing items after every passenger exits). If I find it again, I'm going to report trouble with a rider on the app, but my more immediate concern is the cops... I drive courteously and within the speed limit, so no reason to get pulled over, but never say never.

Anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had one pax from Vdara that had a regular plastic cup. I asked if it was alcohol and he stated no so I began the ride. I quickly noticed after a few moments that it was straight vodka. I explained the law does not permit alcoholic beverages in a vehicle and he tried to play the "tourist" card. I drive safely as well but gave him 1 star upon completion.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I think I transported some girls today and it seemed like one had a drink, one of those really tall ones. I guess I really didn't register in my brain.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had one pax from Vdara that had a regular plastic cup. I asked if it was alcohol and he stated no so I began the ride. I quickly noticed after a few moments that it was straight vodka. I explained the law does not permit alcoholic beverages in a vehicle and he tried to play the "tourist" card. I drive safely as well but gave him 1 star upon completion.
If you don't want alcohol in your vehicle, that is your perogative. But it is not illegal for them to drink in your car. The Nevada Revised Statutes allow for open container in a for hire vehicle such as limos, taxis, etc. For practical purposes we are hired through the app by our passengers. It has been this way since the 90's when I started in transportation.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
If I were an Uber driver I would make ABSOLUTELY certain before you allow people to drink in your car. NRS 484.448 makes exemptions for vehicles for hire but the exact wording specifies vehicles "primarily" used for commercial transportation of passengers. This is a gray area for you guys.

I don't always agree with Uber but I also don't wish ill on anyone out trying to make money. An open container charge on your record can very easily bar you from being able to drive for a living.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
"Sorry, no drinks of any kind that aren't in a closed container" is my rule. I don't care if it's a glass of ice water or a yard of over priced syrup and well booze. My car, my rules.

I agree the law is a gray area...but I'd stay on safe side. There's a lot of folks that have a dislike of TNCs. Aside from not wanting to clean up spills, I don't want to be an open container test case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts