Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have an issue with riders bringing their drinks with them? I have had several bring their solo cups, Styrofoam cups and whatnot with them when I pick them up. I am not sure if I should say something, like, I don't mind if you have it, but please take it with you when you leave. Heck, I would even like someone to ask me if it is okay that they have it with them. At least give me the chance to say no before you bring it. Also, I have checked several times and noticed these turds leave their crap behind.. UGH!!

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
It's your car, stand up for yourself. As the driver of the vehicle, legal responsibility of open containers of alcohol in your vehicle (may*) fall upon you.

* I say "may", as there are some Texas laws in place that allow open containers in vehicles that are used solely as transportation for hire, however, this law was put in place primarily for limousine/party bus type vehicles and was not written to cover TNC (which likely didn't exist at the time).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I need to stand up for myself!! I have ONE person ask me, I told him I did not mind but that he needed to take it with him when he got out. He did.. kudos to him!!! I have to get my car inspected by the TNC, just being lazy

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I personally do not allow drinks in my car without a lid and communicate just that. At the first hint of displeasure or attitude, ride is not happening and I drive off. If you are cool and agree to down the drink, I will be happy to give you a ride. Last week, I had some entitled prick ask me if I was chauffeur alluding the laws. As I was pulling away, I advised him to order a limo next time. The look on his wife's face was priceless.

The key is being aware of what is going on before they enter the car. Doors are locked and windows are cracked. Solo, styrofoam, more than 4 people, under 18 are all red flags.

Bottom line, open containers are against the law and the passenger doesn't care if they spill and more than likely won't even tell you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is sooo true!!! Yeah, I will have to start with your tactic. I am in Funky Town too and just finding it harder and harder to get time :( lol

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I personally do not allow drinks in my car without a lid and communicate just that. At the first hint of displeasure or attitude, ride is not happening and I drive off. If you are cool and agree to down the drink, I will be happy to give you a ride. Last week, I had some entitled prick ask me if I was chauffeur alluding the laws. As I was pulling away, I advised him to order a limo next time. The look on his wife's face was priceless.

The key is being aware of what is going on before they enter the car. Doors are locked and windows are cracked. Solo, styrofoam, more than 4 people, under 18 are all red flags.

Bottom line, open containers are against the law and the passenger doesn't care if they spill and more than likely won't even tell you.
1st of all I never take anyone under 18 as it is against the rules.. read rider agreement.

2nd my stance is simple. .when I pull up and see the group walking out with their solo cups I say immediately..sorry guys no open containers allowed. Most will down their drinks. Others get left. Period

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
1st of all I never take anyone under 18 as it is against the rules.. read rider agreement.

2nd my stance is simple. .when I pull up and see the group walking out with their solo cups I say immediately..sorry guys no open containers allowed. Most will down their drinks. Others get left. Period
Did I say that I take underage riders? Under 18 is a red flag and is an automatic ride is not happening.

Secondly, I use the same strategy however I just wait for the slightest attitude and drive off.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
I gotcha..
I don't know how many big surge or select rides I had to cancel because it was a group of 14 year olds..

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I talked to my attorney last year about this, and have the scoop:

If you're driving part-time, there is NO EXEMPTION in Texas. You're just like anyone else, and transportation of an open container is an offense. You might get away with it in Uber Black or Uber SUV, but the burden of proof that you're full-time in the "transportation for hire" falls on you. You will very likely lose any argument with a police officer, and you will almost certainly lose any argument in court, if you're foolish enough to show up without an attorney. Cabs, buses, limos, they may be exempt, but not part-time Uber/Lyft.

If you have an accident, and end up covered with beer or booze from a pax cup that flies through your car? Your liability for the accident just went through the roof, even if it's the other driver's fault. This is just not worth the risk.

Moreover, transportation of open alcohol is a violation of Uber Terms of Service.

Uber does not care what you do, until you get caught (ticket, accident, spillage). Then you will very likely be terminated, plus face some hefty fines and legal fees, plus increased insurance costs, and possibly the dreaded Texas surcharge on your license.

Bottom line: Tell them no. No open containers, period. I catch someone trying to sneak in open bottles every week. They bring them out from bars, or from their home, and I see them try to hide them out of sight, in a purse, in a pocket, until they get in, and I turn on the dome light, catching them red handed.

I don't allow open cups, no matter what, even if it's water (and pax will lie about what's in that cup). If it doesn't have a lid, they must finish it before they get in my car. I've had several spills that I blame on the common Dallas pothole, so I'm doing them a favor by saving them the clean up fees.

I've had people want to argue, debate, bargain, and I've learned my lesson. First sign of negativity, just cancel the trip. Your ratings will improve, and so will your mood. No $2 net fare is worth the Bovine Scat of scofflaw pax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts