Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get an XL ping, 15 minutes away but to an area where rides tend to be long. OK, XL, that's worth it tonight.

I get to the location, nobody there. Then I get a text from the pax, they tell me where they really are- 8 more minutes away! Now I would normally wait and CXL but I already had a big investment in the ride and the XL ride would be worth more than the CXL, so all right, I go for it. Go up a hill onto a little dirt road to turn around, car behind me so I have to wait... then the police car lights go on.

I needed to go further up the hill a little but I didn't want the cop to think I was running or anything, so I back down onto the main road while turning, and hear a bang. Cop comes out of his car yelling at me, tells me to come out and look what I did, I just ripped off the front of my van. I get out and it was just a small shroud from under the engine, no big deal, I remove it and put it in the back and he runs my license and lets me go, after mocking me for a minute about my driving skills. I should have told him about some of the things I've seen cops do behind the wheel but didn't want to get arrested.

So I get to the pickup, pax texting me all the way. They pile in the van, drunk as skunks, and yes it was the anticipated long ride and it got the money but they were annoying, giving me directions I didn't need and I wished it had been shorter! I gave them the lecture about accurate locations and told them this ride should have gone to another driver and they would have been served better.

But now I'm wondering, do you think they might have done that intentionally? If they couldn't get an XL where they were but they saw one on the map at a distant location, put the pin in a location reasonable to his location and reasonable to them too, and when he gets there tell him to talk or fish, come the rest of the way or it will cost you? It would take someone as diabolical as me to figure that out and most people aren't, but I would be pissed enough to cancel anyway if I thought they did.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
People often do that to avoid surge.

If I open my pax app and the area they give me is surging but the pinned area isn't, instant cancel.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
One way to handle this albeit sneaky is that when you go to the new pick up point and start the trip, it will ask you if you made a mistake and want to start the trip at the original pick up point. Say yes and the trip will have the mileage added to it but they probably won't realize it since the trip didn't start till you got there. I wouldn't do it unless they are close to the original point or get I get paid for the miles.

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
I live in a small market where in some areas, UberX is hard enough to find, let alone XL. Pax have told me that they move around their pin slightly until they get a car in range, then redirect drivers. Its not surge manipulation since we have large block areas that have the same surge rate throughout.

In small areas such as these, XL drivers are forced to run X, which makes them even harder to find since they have to take X or risk timeouts for nonacceptance. So when pax see one, they do whatever is necessary to snatch them up quickly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts