Uber Drivers Forum banner

Double demerits have already started

2K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Iuber 
#1 ·
Take care

#4 ·
Double demerit points began at the beginning of today (Thursday 18 April).

Statement by NRMA:

We remind motorists in NSW and the ACT that double demerits will be in place for eight days during this month's Easter and ANZAC Day holiday period.

Double demerits will start on Thursday 18 April and run to Monday 22 April 2019. Then there will be a one day break before they start again on Wednesday 24 April and run through to Sunday 28 April (inclusive).

The double demerit points period applies from midnight of the start date to midnight on the finish date, meaning this month there will be a total of eight days where double demerit penalties will be in place.

Double demerit points apply for speeding, seatbelt, motorcycle helmet and mobile phone offences during all holiday periods such as long weekends, Christmas, New Year and Easter. Drivers caught using their phones during a double demerit period can expect to be hit with the fine as well as up to 10 demerits.

Please drive safely and take extra care on the roads.

(https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-...ng-and-licences/resources/nsw-double-demerits)

#5 ·
More nonsense from our beloved state government. Stats have proven over and over again that double demerits have no influence on road deaths, yet they keep persisting with it.

And as per usual us rideshare drivers are risking up to 12 demerit points driving around pax who wont put on their seatbelts. Had one old lady today who when asked to put on a seatbelt said "i don't like seatbelts". During Xmas/NYE period after asking a group of English holidaymakers to put on their seatbelts, one said "**** off, I have never had a taxi driver tell me to put on a seat belt".

Needless to say I ended that trip but I didn't end the trip with the old lady as one can be sure there would have been a complaint made against me. I assumed that audio from my dashcam would be sufficient to get me off any fine if stopped by police.

#16 ·
Lots of folks do Not understand AM & PM and do Not understand Midnight.

The best way to break it down and try to get people to grasp it -
is to explain
Using the DAY & Time of Day changes take place.

So on the very Late Night of Wednesday the 17th April at the very last moment of this Night WHICH THEN BECOMES the Start Very Very EARLY MORNING Beginnining of THURSDAY 18th April - THAT'S when double demerits starts.

#17 ·
Lots of folks do Not understand AM & PM and do Not understand Midnight.

The best way to break it down and try to get people to grasp it -
is to explain
Using the DAY & Time of Day changes take place.

So on the very Late Night of Wednesday the 17th April at the very last moment of thus Night WHICH THEN BECOMES the Start Very Very Early Morning & Beginnining of Thursday 18th April - THAT'S when double demerits starts.
So if you apply the same rules then it would stop first thing Monday morning, 12.01am.

#19 ·
‘Midnight’ on a specified date is an inherently slippery concept as midnight marks the transition from one day to the next and can be both the end of one day and the beginning of the next.

Australian Government legislative drafters tend these days to avoid using the word ‘midnight’ in all legislation. Instead, they refer to the ‘beginning’ of a specified day or to the ‘end’ of a specified day.

#21 ·
So midnight on the 18th April is different from midnight 22nd April?
If you cannot grasp when double demerits starts and finish, you are not qualified to be called a professional driver.

This is basic stuff and will cost you your license for your ignorance.
So midnight on 18th April is different to midnight on 22nd April?
Professional driver? what a crock of shit.

#25 ·
Double demerits usually starts the day before the actual long weekend.

If you UBER, you owe it to yourself to know exactly when it starts and finishes so you don't get caught out for whatever reason.

As a ride share driver, you are classified as a professional driver whether that's part time or full time driver.

Get out of the game if you not serious about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.