Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my recent experiences. Drove a woman from upper-middle class suburb in DuPage County to Midway. Pleasant conversation about trevails of children at expensive, selective colleges, etc. Get to Midway and get her multiple suitcases out of my trunk. She extends her hand.......and shakes my hand. End of transaction.

Head up Cicero. Ignore the first Pool ping I get and then absent-mindedly accept the next ping which is UberX. Then, realize its at the Wal-Mart. Figure, what the hell I'll pull in there. Sure enough, a woman is standing outside and then proceeds to retrieve a grocery cart absolutely packed with groceries - must have been 20 plastic bags of groceries, jugs of juice, etc. Didn't have the heart to say no, so we load up everything and I deliver her and the carload of groceries to a nearby neighborhood. On the the 10-15 minute ride it also becomes apparent that she doesn't speak English. Since I'm already fully in on this one, I help her unload all the groceries to her porch. Just as we finish, she extends her hand and gives me $10. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
If &%[email protected]!*ing Travis the would put a damn TIP OPTION in the APP.. This conversation is over.. THey don't tip because they know they get away with it.. Dude that will be the last 10 you get in the next 1000 rides.. Enjoy it.
You are absolutely spot on! Even though Lyft has the tip option in app still less than 50% tip! I'd say somewhere around 30% which is better than the 1-2% on Uber.

·
Registered
591 Posts
One of my recent experiences. Drove a woman from upper-middle class suburb in DuPage County to Midway. Pleasant conversation about trevails of children at expensive, selective colleges, etc. Get to Midway and get her multiple suitcases out of my trunk. She extends her hand.......and shakes my hand. End of transaction.

Head up Cicero. Ignore the first Pool ping I get and then absent-mindedly accept the next ping which is UberX. Then, realize its at the Wal-Mart. Figure, what the hell I'll pull in there. Sure enough, a woman is standing outside and then proceeds to retrieve a grocery cart absolutely packed with groceries - must have been 20 plastic bags of groceries, jugs of juice, etc. Didn't have the heart to say no, so we load up everything and I deliver her and the carload of groceries to a nearby neighborhood. On the the 10-15 minute ride it also becomes apparent that she doesn't speak English. Since I'm already fully in on this one, I help her unload all the groceries to her porch. Just as we finish, she extends her hand and gives me $10. Lesson learned.
I had an exact kind of situation last week. Picked up an older Mexican couple from a grocery store in Addison. They requested a pool ride and also loaded my car with their groceries. The fare was $5 and my tip $6! My next ride was in Glen Ellyn. Picked up a lady from a $3 million dollars house - no tip!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
talking about unexpected tips, i just had one experience last week. i picked up a latino lady but right after starting the trip, she realized that she forgot something. she asked if she needed to cancel. i told her that i would wait for her and that she just took her time to take care of whatever she had to do. she came back after 5 minutes and felt so grateful. i dropped her off at a jewel-osco location and she put $5 on my hand. i felt bad because i knew that she was on hourly wage and with the fare and the tip, that was almost two hours of minimum wage. those upper middle class workers never care to tip regardless!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
This reminds me of a moment that really touched me. I get a ping near the Bolingbrook CC, pull up to the house, it could be condemned. This Hispanic gent, mid 50s walks out holding a couple plastic bags, his lunch I presumed.

He's wearing the landscaper uniform, soaked in sweat and covered in clippings. He asks me in halting English to take him to the Zero Gravity @ 75th & Rte 53. I assume he's going to work his second gig.

As we approach, he directs me to pull up next to a car parked in the corner, universal distress sign, hood up and flashers. Mi hija he says. The car is in worse shape than the house.

I pull alongside and he slides out of the front seat, turns back and presses 3, damp $1s into my hand. In that instant, a dozen thoughts race through my mind. This is clearly a man that understands the value of a dollar earned, and his family is in a tight spot. What would you do?

I took his $ with a smile and thanked him for his generosity, he smiled in return and walked away. Why, because to have done otherwise would have insulted him.

As he walked away, I noticed the Jewel bags were not "lunch" but a collection of parts and tools with which he intended to make repairs. He was the cavalry, and Uber his steed of necessity. I was 100% wrong about that trip. One of the top five most rewarding Uber moments. Go figure.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This reminds me of a moment that really touched me. I get a ping near the Bolingbrook CC, pull up to the house, it could be condemned. This Hispanic gent, mid 50s walks out holding a couple plastic bags, his lunch I presumed.

He's wearing the landscaper uniform, soaked in sweat and covered in clippings. He asks me in halting English to take him to the Zero Gravity @ 75th & Rte 53. I assume he's going to work his second gig.

As we approach, he directs me to pull up next to a car parked in the corner, universal distress sign, hood up and flashers. Mi hija he says. The car is in worse shape than the house.

I pull alongside and he slides out of the front seat, turns back and presses 3, damp $1s into my hand. In that instant, a dozen thoughts race through my mind. This is clearly a man that understands the value of a dollar earned, and his family is in a tight spot. What would you do?

I took his $ with a smile and thanked him for his generosity, he smiled in return and walked away. Why, because to have done otherwise would have insulted him.

As he walked away, I noticed the Jewel bags were not "lunch" but a collection of parts and tools with which he intended to make repairs. He was the cavalry, and Uber his steed of necessity. I was 100% wrong about that trip. One of the top five most rewarding Uber moments. Go figure.
It sickens me when I think of all those corporate **** I drove. Suits gold watches not even thank you.. can't even grab luggage themselves like they'd get dirty and ruined their day while their busy making 100102 phone calls a minute. Stfu. Watch a real man live and appreciate another. Thank you.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If &%[email protected]!*ing Travis the would put a damn TIP OPTION in the APP.. This conversation is over.. THey don't tip because they know they get away with it.. Dude that will be the last 10 you get in the next 1000 rides.. Enjoy it.
I guarantee if the tip option was in the app, lady no. 1 STILL doesn't tip.

Tip option would help in general, but I'm not so sure I'd use this situation as watershed moment.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
can't even grab luggage themselves <<<<<<<<<<<<<

DO NOT LEAVE YOUR CAR... Pop the trunk and let him have at it.
Agree with your sentiment. I am over 60 and I'm not going to get out of my car to put luggage in or pull it out of my car for some 20-something who sees me as his/her man-servant. I once told a pax who told me (he did not politely ask) to take the luggage out of car that he had a choice---take it out yourself or watch me drive away with it. 3600 rides and 4.89 rating

·
Premium Member
3,412 Posts
I guarantee if the tip option was in the app, lady no. 1 STILL doesn't tip.

Tip option would help in general, but I'm not so sure I'd use this situation as watershed moment.
Agreed; while I see more tips on Lyft than Uber, even with the function in the app, only about 1/3rd actually tip (although that is over twice what i get from Uber pax). If it was in the app and both Lyft & Uber would remind pax that "If you liked your service today, why not let your driver know it with a gratuity (with options for 15%, 20%, 25%, 30% or $ amount). That might start changing a few habits.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Hospitality people don't tip .. WHY ? Cause they know they can get away with it. I have a tip sign.. You all should too... DRILL in their cheap ass heads..

I get my tip by TURNING THE APP OFF ..Let it SURGE and turn it on.. It's the only way..

·
Registered
283 Posts
This thread just debunked the myth that it's colored or american riders that tip.
So true

Hospitality people don't tip .. WHY ? Cause they know they can get away with it. I have a tip sign.. You all should too... DRILL in their cheap ass heads..

I get my tip by TURNING THE APP OFF ..Let it SURGE and turn it on.. It's the only way..
Yes, i sit in my apt with my car at the door and wait for the red sea to come.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awhile back picked up a wannabe rapper and his mother from O'Hare and drove them to st Charles. Pull up to the long ass driveway huge house Mercedes and Land Rover parked. Help unload and all I get was a thank you goodnight.

Sunday pick up couple from O'Hare take them to southside Chicago. Had nice conversation the whole ride. Before reach there destination they ask if I have change I said yeah I have a $20,and two 5's. She hands me a $20 bill and I give her the two 5's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts