Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
True Story;
I for one strongly believe that Uber and Lyft do know that you use both platforms. The GPS still tracks you when you go offline. Im sure this has happened to people but it feels like stalking;

I was in center city Philadelphia and had both apps on. Lyft pinged me first. I switched the Uber app off immediately to avoid pinging me at the same time. I then Accepted the Lyft request which had me picking up and driving a rider going to a VERY remote area in NJ about 20 miles 30 mins away.

As soon as I dropped him off I switched on the Uber app. In under a split second (no exaggeration) Uber pinged me to pick someone literally 2 houses away in this isolated town...

Not creepy enough? The person was ready and waiting and got in the car and said “Wow you got here quick, Uber said you were 35 mins away”

How on earth did Uber know where I was going yet I was offline with Uber??!

Is there some cooperation between Uber and Lyft
to track drivers who use both apps? I can see that being possible.

Otherwise...its really creepy.

I dont drive with Lyft anymore so I don’t have up to date info on what it’s like to drive for both in 2020.

·
Premium Member
6,874 Posts
True Story;
I for one strongly believe that Uber and Lyft do know that you use both platforms. The GPS still tracks you when you go offline. Im sure this has happened to people but it feels like stalking;

I was in center city Philadelphia and had both apps on. Lyft pinged me first. I switched the Uber app off immediately to avoid pinging me at the same time. I then Accepted the Lyft request which had me picking up and driving a rider going to a VERY remote area in NJ about 20 miles 30 mins away.

As soon as I dropped him off I switched on the Uber app. In under a split second (no exaggeration) Uber pinged me to pick someone literally 2 houses away in this isolated town...

Not creepy enough? The person was ready and waiting and got in the car and said "Wow you got here quick, Uber said you were 35 mins away"

I dont drive with Lyft anymore so I don't have up to date info on what it's like to drive for both in 2020.
Yes, they track you.

However, you are drawing the wrong conclusions.

·
12,237 Posts
Of course they know you drive for both companies. they have the ability to scan your phone for other apps and Lyft does do it. Haven't you ever noticed when you bring up the Uber app it already knows where you're at, without lag? when you bring the app up it's not reflecting where you logged off at last, it's reflecting where you currently are. We have to grant them permission for location. They can access that at any point. I often times get notifications that Lyft has accessed my location, without me being online

·
Premium Member
12,119 Posts
True Story;

Not creepy enough? The person was ready and waiting and got in the car and said "Wow you got here quick, Uber said you were 35 mins away"

I dont drive with Lyft anymore so I don't have up to date info on what it's like to drive for both in 2020.
We work for The Algorithm. It probably knows more about us than we realize.

·
Premium Member
7,502 Posts
Im sure this has happened to people but it feels like stalking
Let's get something straight here for a second.

Sure, they're tracking you. I get that. I'm not thrilled about it either.

But it's not stalking. I've been stalked by an ex, by someone I previously dated. I went to the police not once, but twice. They were gracious and professional. I have no complaints about how the Houston Police Dept handled it.

Trust me, for-real stalking and harrassment is way worse than what you're describing.

</down from soapbox>

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
As a driver I developed a hatred for Uber. I do think they track. So now as a Rider, I open the Uber pax app from my location and put in my destination. I then open the Lyft pax app and do the same.

if Lyft is cheaper, the same, or up to a few bucks more, I order on Lyft. I keep the Uber pax app open so Uber can watch me take the trip without using their services. It’s my way of telling Uber GFY.

·
Premium Member
7,502 Posts
Unless you have a flip phone, your location is being sold whether you like it or not. Even if you select only when using app.
And not just by U/L. There's a reason that most apps want to know your location.

Google does too. They're fine with letting you deny that info to other apps. Helps protect the value of what they're getting from you.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
YES THEY DO. They have been caught doing that with pax and local regulators. Ofcourse they stalk drivers.

Uber is a bunch of brilliant jerks. They arent stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
My phone will tell me when location services are active. When the apps are closed, location services are off.

In the OP's situation, Uber got the GPS info from the phone as soon as the Uber app was opened, and it replaced the driver that was too far away with suddenly online OP. Happens to me on either side of the deal all the time.

How long is it supposed to take for one chip on your phone to tell another chip a few bytes of data, especially when location services have already been activated by another app?

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
Nothing new here
Nothing to see
These are not the druids you are looking for
Move on.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
My phone will tell me when location services are active. When the apps are closed, location services are off.

In the OP's situation, Uber got the GPS info from the phone as soon as the Uber app was opened, and it replaced the driver that was too far away with suddenly online OP. Happens to me on either side of the deal all the time.

How long is it supposed to take for one chip on your phone to tell another chip a few bytes of data, especially when location services have already been activated by another app?
When the app is closed location services are not turned off. I have confirmed this dozens of time. Every half hour or so the location icon will show at the top of the phone for a half second. You may not even notice it. This continued day after day until I deleted the Uber app. No more location icon. As soon as I reinstalled the app back came the icon. They are tracking your every move and have been doing it since day one.

However you are correct that Uber got the driver's location immediately after opening the app. The ride was most likely assigned to a driver 35 minutes away but switched to a closer driver once they became available.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts