Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Does Uber employ "driver advocates/liaisons" on these forums?

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  NFIH 
#1 ·
I've been having an interesting discussion in the Toronto drivers' forum that has abruptly gone in an unexpected direction. The thread is here: https://uberpeople.net/threads/uberpool-commission-should-be-10-20-30.95034/

A poster I was talking to identified another poster, Actionjax, as a "driver advocate/liaison" and said that among other things the latter had been instrumental in helping pro-Uber legislation make its way through Toronto's city council. I expressed surprise that Actionjax was operating in this manner without identifying that he was in fact working on behalf of Uber, or at least seemingly so. I asked for clarification.

Actionjax then entered the thread and confirmed that he was being "consulted" by Uber on a number of issues. In a series of follow-up questions I asked him if he in fact had the specific title of "driver advocate/liaison" and whether or not he was being formally compensated by Uber for this work. I also asserted that if this was the case, and he was failing to identify himself as an Uber employee (above and beyond being a partner driver), then his posting to the board would be highly unethical.

I have yet to get a response to these follow-up questions. In the meantime, I'd like to ask other forum members from around the world whether or not they're familiar with this employee position and the associated practice. It could well be that it's common knowledge, has been officially acknowledged by Uber and I'm simply unaware of it. Or not. However, the fact that Actionjax hasn't identified or clarified in his posts that he holds this position is rather troubling, to say the least.

If it's nothing, it's nothing, but if it's something then I think everyone is entitled to know more.

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#6 ·
I have no problem with him advocating on behalf of Uber. That's his right as well a Uber's. In fact, I assume that in this day and age most companies--especially the dot-com 2.0 types like an Uber--have a social media strategy that includes directly engaging with customers and employees on social media.

BUT, you have to be transparent about it. In Canada the federal level Competition Bureau can and does sanction companies for misstepping in that area. Bell, for example, was recently fined for having employees pose as customers/citizens who would go on message boards and sing the company's praises.

Sing your company's praises all you like--I'm fine with it--but IDENTIFY that this is who you are and where you're coming from. Otherwise it's borderline fraud.

#5 ·
Reading his posts he seems to be a complete jerk. Guess Travis is wearing off on him. A good example of the company's total disdain for drivers. Quite interesting actually.

I have a feeling that every employee at Uber feels contempt toward their own drivers. Which is why they have no trouble screwing drivers over whenever they can.

#7 ·
Well he doesn't really advocate on behalf of Uber, he just sort of belittles people and spouts falsehoods which mask the fact that drivers get shafted most of the time by Uber's policies. He's not the brightest soul and I would be surprised if he were an Uber "plant." He's just an Uber fanboy who's been driving so long he's made friends with people in the company and is privy to what's going on, apparently.

#10 ·
It's bigger rhan that, though. In one of his replies to me he noted that Uber works with other drivers in addition to him. So how many such people are there who are involved in this? Are they similarly failing to identify this relationship when they post, thereby (falsely) giving everyone else the impression that they are random posters?

If so, that's a big deal.

#12 ·
I've been having an interesting discussion in the Toronto drivers' forum that has abruptly gone in an unexpected direction. The thread is here: https://uberpeople.net/threads/uberpool-commission-should-be-10-20-30.95034/

A poster I was talking to identified another poster, Actionjax, as a "driver advocate/liaison" and said that among other things the latter had been instrumental in helping pro-Uber legislation make its way through Toronto's city council. I expressed surprise that Actionjax was operating in this manner without identifying that he was in fact working on behalf of Uber, or at least seemingly so. I asked for clarification.

Actionjax then entered the thread and confirmed that he was being "consulted" by Uber on a number of issues. In a series of follow-up questions I asked him if he in fact had the specific title of "driver advocate/liaison" and whether or not he was being formally compensated by Uber for this work. I also asserted that if this was the case, and he was failing to identify himself as an Uber employee (above and beyond being a partner driver), then his posting to the board would be highly unethical.

I have yet to get a response to these follow-up questions. In the meantime, I'd like to ask other forum members from around the world whether or not they're familiar with this employee position and the associated practice. It could well be that it's common knowledge, has been officially acknowledged by Uber and I'm simply unaware of it. Or not. However, the fact that Actionjax hasn't identified or clarified in his posts that he holds this position is rather troubling, to say the least.

If it's nothing, it's nothing, but if it's something then I think everyone is entitled to know more.
Uber " consulting"

Vague e mails from a far off land ?

Got your back partner.

#15 ·
Well, welcome to the internet, where there's really no way of knowing if anyone is telling the truth ever.

I mean, what's the worst an "Uber plant" could do? Say that the company treats drivers great when it's obvious they don't? There are a handful of people here who post stuff like that. It's clear that they're FOS so I just ignore them or beat them down with actual numbers.

As Bruce Lee used to say... any fist, foot or weapon thrust your way is simply a convenient object to be destroyed.

#16 ·
#18 ·
It's bigger rhan that, though. In one of his replies to me he noted that Uber works with other drivers in addition to him. So how many such people are there who are involved in this? Are they similarly failing to identify this relationship when they post, thereby (falsely) giving everyone else the impression that they are random posters?

If so, that's a big deal.
Id be willing to lay odds that he is not on uber payroll. I got an email once asking me to rate a few things about Uber, does this make me a consultant?

I get what you are saying, I do not think there is a reason to be concerned here.

There have been a few employees of Uber that have posted here, some disgruntled. This forum is not a concern of Uber's, according to them.

#20 ·
Id be willing to lay odds that he is not on uber payroll. I got an email once asking me to rate a few things about Uber, does this make me a consultant?
This is part of the confusion. Actionjax has so far declined to clarify what he means by "consulting," so it could be as you describe or it could be more. But given other things he's said in the same thread, it appears to be the latter.

I get what you are saying, I do not think there is a reason to be concerned here.
My only concern is that companies and their agents be transparent. Say whatever you like, but be transparent. And God knows Uber is rather famous for the opposite, so that just makes Actionjax's situation look that more suspicious.

This forum is not a concern of Uber's, according to them.
See, it's funny you should say this because Actionjax has repeatedly said the opposite. He regularly assures posters--again with that oddly insider-y tone--that Uber reads these boards and considers the complaints, criticisms and concerns of drivers, and tells people that for that reason they absolutely should post here. Make of that what you will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.