Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is disturbing, my girl just text me saying she received a text message from uber saying I invited her to become a driver.

"UberMSG: Congratulations! Your friend Daniel wants you to be an Uber partner. Both of you can make money when you APPLY HERE: t.uber.com/cashec"

1. How did they get her phone number?
2. That's not even my referral promo code

Do they have access to our contact list in our phones?

I'm including a screen shot.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Access to the contact list should be common, especially since there's an "option" to share your code with your contacts, but if they are sending the texts out without you knowing it, that is screwed up.

Is the number that she got it from your number? (may want to censor it if it is, but i'm guessing it's not as there is no contact name.) or is it from some other number? Any chance that another Daniel sent her the link?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most likely. Most iPhone users leave themselves wide open.
You need to go to:
Settings>Privacy>Contacts
Make sure to disable if Uber app(s) have access to your contacts.
Then go to:
Settings>General>Restrictions>Contacts
And lock it up. (Don't allow changes)
Thank you, I checked and their app does not appear Settings>Privacy>Contacts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Access to the contact list should be common, especially since there's an "option" to share your code with your contacts, but if they are sending the texts out without you knowing it, that is screwed up.

Is the number that she got it from your number? (may want to censor it if it is, but i'm guessing it's not as there is no contact name.) or is it from some other number? Any chance that another Daniel sent her the link?
I know nothing about them sending out text on my behalf. Not my number, one of their Google numbers I'm guessing. No, I doubt it, we don't know anyone who is doing uber.

·
Premium Member
7,742 Posts
Most likely. Most iPhone users leave themselves wide open.
You need to go to:
Settings>Privacy>Contacts
Make sure to disable if Uber app(s) have access to your contacts.
Then go to:
Settings>General>Restrictions>Contacts
And lock it up. (Don't allow changes)
Thanks for the advice.Should i do same thing with microphone?When i checked it seams uber app wasn't one of the app tried to access to my contacts but that wasn't the case with microphone .They did or tried to access to my mic.

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
This is disturbing, my girl just text me saying she received a text message from uber saying I invited her to become a driver.

"UberMSG: Congratulations! Your friend Daniel wants you to be an Uber partner. Both of you can make money when you APPLY HERE: t.uber.com/cashec"

1. How did they get her phone number?
2. That's not even my referral promo code

Do they have access to our contact list in our phones?

I'm including a screen shot.
Travis called my Wife up and asked her out. Perhaps it was her job title - Horizontal Services lol

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
She takes a look now and again- she is not very happy about it.
POST # 12/Sydney Uber: Yes..especially
since SHE didn't
have VistaPrint produce the Business..ah..
um...Cards! that Listed "Her Title" as
"Horizontal Services" before helpfully
listing Same...with PHOTO..on the
Link-edIn site. JEEPERS! Someone's
"in the Doghouse" now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Look under app info on installed apps. Prior to downloading the app you had to give permission for Uber to do ALL THOSE THINGS! (Including accessing your contacts) , so, like a good multi billion dollar company, they are mining your contacts for gold. Easy play. They've been doing it since the beginning...your other contacts will be solicited - guaranteed...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.