Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In June 2018, member Minoux9556, a former worker at Gryft Call Support, revealed this in the Stories Forum:

"Line rides are the biggest rip offs EVER. Lots of drivers know this but for new people. You only get paid the distance from the very first pick up to the very last drop off and you're not paid for the distance in between. So if the very first pick up is close to the very last drop off you will probably make like $12 and they will take commission from it. Then they will charge all 3 of your passengers like $20 each and pocket it." (My emphasis added.)

In your experience, is this true?

· Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Something is off in the logic of sentence 2. "You only get paid the distance from the very first pick up to the very last drop off and you're not paid for the distance in between." Wouldn't the distance from the first pick up to the very last drop off by definition include all the mileage in between?

Pool/Line rides are a rip off, especially Pool, but I'm not sure I understand the specific issue you are concerned about.

· Premium Member
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think that dude is saying Lyft calculates your pay based on the distance from first pickup to last dropoff regardless of the distance actually traveled?
Yes, as I read it, Gryft pays for straight-line distance from first pickup to last dropoff.

So, if Pickup #1 is along I-5 in the UD, Pickup #2 is farther east in Windermere, and Final Dropoff is @ Northgate, she claims Gryft only pays for the straight-line distance traveled north from UD along I-5 to NG. And not for distance traveled east to Pickup #2, or from there northwest to NG.

· Registered
743 Posts
Yes, as I read it, Gryft pays for straight-line distance from first pickup to last dropoff.

So, if Pickup #1 is along I-5 in the UD, Pickup #2 is farther east in Windermere, and Final Dropoff is @ Northgate, she claims Gryft only pays for the straight-line distance traveled north from UD along I-5 to NG. And not for distance traveled east to Pickup #2, or from there northwest to NG.
In almost 2 years I've never had a matched line/shared ride so i have no first hand knowledge but this is not aligned with what Lyft advertises.
Head Product Organism Font Line

· Premium Member
5,538 Posts

It's fake news. Lyft pays full driving time and distance. No "straight-lining". Primed Line rides used to be very profitable when Prime actually existed.

Marco Solo you can't believe everything you read on the internet.... unless, of course, I wrote it. :cool:

· Premium Member
8,617 Posts
I think that dude is saying Lyft calculates your pay based on the distance from first pickup to last dropoff regardless of the distance actually traveled?
It's possible. For example, if you are on an unmatched line, and a pax asks to be dropped off on a different location. It will psy you for whst you would have driven, regsrdless of where you drive.

It's fake news. Lyft pays full driving time and distance. No "straight-lining". Primed Line rides used to be very profitable when Prime actually existed.

Marco Solo you can't believe everything you read on the internet.... unless, of course, I wrote it. :cool:
I remember prime. Those were the days.

In almost 2 years I've never had a matched line/shared ride so i have no first hand knowledge but this is not aligned with what Lyft advertises. View attachment 249963
Paul looks stressed out.

There is some fire there. Next time you have an umatched line, and the pax asks for a different drop off, humor them and do it (can't change in app, just do it manually). You will notice that your pay reflects the original route rather than what you drove (unless they've changed this. I refuse change of destinstion on line now due to this). One time I had a line with two pax. Wasn't matched and one asked if I could drop off their friend way up north in Muckleteo. Sure, ai thought... more money for me. It charged them only to the first address (which was still in Seattle). Lyft did credit me the difference but as a bonus, meaning the pax' friend got a free Lyft ride home. Happened a few times before I instituted a no tolerance policy for chang eof address on line.

· Premium Member
3,116 Posts
Paul looks stressed out.
He misses when Lyft Shared was Lyft Line and so he could score cocaine.

Crap, this joke again...?

Next time you have an umatched line, and the pax asks for a different drop off, humor them and do it (can't change in app, just do it manually). You will notice that your pay reflects the original route rather than what you drove (unless they've changed this. I refuse change of destinstion on line now due to this). One time I had a line with two pax. Wasn't matched and one asked if I could drop off their friend way up north in Muckleteo. Sure, ai thought... more money for me. It charged them only to the first address (which was still in Seattle). Lyft did credit me the difference but as a bonus, meaning the pax' friend got a free Lyft ride home. Happened a few times before I instituted a no tolerance policy for chang eof address on line.
Here's the thing: I've driven a Lyft Shared that went all over the map because somebody wanted to take their friend to a drop off elsewhere. I believe Lyft paid for the mileage and it wasn't point A to B.
I think I was able to prevent problems because I hit "no more passengers" to prevent new riders trying to force taking the original route, and I accepted doing the ride only with the knowledge Lyft Shared pays the same rate as Lyft Classic.
I sure as hell hope that wasn't an Uber Pool ride come to think of it... I took it only during a time window when things had been dead for a long while.

· Premium Member
8,617 Posts
He misses when Lyft Shared was Lyft Line and so he could score cocaine.

Crap, this joke again...?

Here's the thing: I've driven a Lyft Shared that went all over the map because somebody wanted to take their friend to a drop off elsewhere. I believe Lyft paid for the mileage and it wasn't point A to B.
I think I was able to prevent problems because I hit "no more passengers" to prevent new riders trying to force taking the original route, and I accepted doing the ride only with the knowledge Lyft Shared pays the same rate as Lyft Classic.
I sure as hell hope that wasn't an Uber Pool ride come to think of it... I took it only during a time window when things had been dead for a long while.
They may have fixed it. I haven't allowed that since shortly after they started paying the same rate, for this reason. At the time, the rate would be calculated by what the original ride was set for (without option to change it, which still persists on both platforms) and even if you drove that route instead, it would pay you for the original route. Every time I tried to reach out to CSRs, it would result in them comping me the difference via a bonus, rather than adjusting the fare, which gave pax a free ride. I suspect that was a scam that was happening for a time, because I would get pax requesting rides on Line then right off the bat saying they wanted two stops. Is this not happening lately?

I'm not aware of the ability to limit matches on shared rides for Lyft. If I hit that button on Lyft it still matches me, but it doesn't send fresh new requests. On Uber, that function, as far as I know, restricts new matches on an UberPool.

· Premium Member
3,116 Posts
I looked through some old rides and can affirm it was a Lyft Shared ride and I was able to stop further incoming requests or maybe lucked out on no new matches. Sort of memorable but time consuming for having just two passengers and three stops. OK tip, easy drive, strange people... $35 to me for the hour of work. On base rate even. (This was an afterhours ride when all the PT was long gone.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.