Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving for Uber for awhile now. I am having problems with my cell phone and wanted to know if I can use an IPAD to drive for Uber, until I can get my cell phone situation fixed. Has anyone done this? Any information will help. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I use a Samsung Galaxy 3 Tablet. I love it. Much bigger screen, it frees up my phone, and it is a great conversation starter. It is on it's own Sprint data plan, 3GB for $15 a month, I never use more than 2.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have three tablets in use while driving.

nexus 7 - at driver sea for nav
7" Craplet - SPotify controller for Pax, on headrest of fron pax seat. Bluetooth to car stereo, no notification sounds this way.
10" Asus - Vugo on back of driver seat headrest.

Tethered via WiFi to my Nexus 6 which does all my communications.

I'm also an IT guy. And have a Android Wear watch on.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

7" Craplet - SPotify controller for Pax, on headrest of fron pax seat. Bluetooth to car stereo, no notification sounds this way.

NERD!!! :)

·
Registered
857 Posts

You went overboard in spoiling the pax.

I spent my time installing cameras to cover my ass from a pax who wants to blame me and idiot drivers who might hit me.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I've done it. The iPad just needs a GPS and access to the internet.

After doing it, I went back to using my Samsung Note 4. I prefer using Android when driving for Uber for what should be obvious reasons. I hear "thank god you're not using that apple navigation" from riders often.

·
Registered
857 Posts

After doing it, I went back to using my Samsung Note 4. I prefer using Android when driving for Uber for what should be obvious reasons. I hear "thank god you're not using that apple navigation" from riders often.
Now.. waze or google maps?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back to OP, you need a tablet that can do texting with the app, or use phone for text/call still. Best to get phone working/fixed and use tablet for nav or tunes like I have done.

How is the phone having issues? What service and type do you have?[/QUOTE
Back to OP, you need a tablet that can do texting with the app, or use phone for text/call still. Best to get phone working/fixed and use tablet for nav or tunes like I have done.

How is the phone having issues? What service and type do you have?
I have an Iphone 4 which keeps shutting down on its own for 12 hours at a time, then works fine for a week. I brought it in to repair and they couldn't find the problem. I do need to buy a new phone at this point. However, I am seriously considering not owning a cell phone any longer if I can still drive with an Ipad and just use a landline at home. To explain further, I am in the process of simplifying my life from technology as much as possible. Could I get data service on the Ipad to use for navigation? I didn't think about the text/call. hmmm...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Were you able to text or call riders when you were using your Ipad?

·
Registered
344 Posts
You don't need the tablet to be able to make calls or text. It's the same if you're using an Uber phone. You can't call or text from that either. Calls and texts still automatically go to the phone on your Uber account.

80 Posts
I couldn't find the app in the apple store for ipad so I never tried it. I use my ipad for navigation and mount it on top of my permanent monitor in my mazda3. looks a bit clunky, but then I'm hands free for the fare and I can see the map great.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts

How do you SECURE the PAX gadgets so it doesn't get ripped off?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts