Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys!!:cool: Does anyone on here do UBER FULL-TIME? If so, how much is made on average? How many hours?
I drive but only on my spare time so I don't have much of an idea.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have ran into three full-time drivers in my area. Two were retirees and were doing fine since they had retirement coming in. The third one was using both lyft and uber but told me hes struggling. The two retirees never knew of this forum and didn't really care when told him.

I felt bad for the young kid but he said he uber when his wife at work then they commute home. So why its not the best it works for the current situation they in .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I run both apps at the same time.. but give uber priority over lyft if both pings at the same time...(uber pays more...would love an app that governs both). When i get within 2 min of the pax destination i turn on the other app.. and if pinged i accept it.. drop off current pax then turn off app..... i have a full time job outside of rideshare.. so this is just extra..on my off day... my wife works downtown and i drop her off and work for 4hrs until she calls me for lunch.......
.. the guy with the wife that works in the city and this is his only full-time things.. seems like this should be perfect for that type of formula... sad to hear it not working out for you.. . Personally i love airport trips and long distance rides

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Not bad! :) Is Uber the only ride sharing app you use?
not bad? christ. for $14/hr - $17/hr, post uber's 20% & pre-expenses.

to put that into perspective, you can earn $15+/hr at Amazon's warehouse in Joliet packing orders.

and your car sits happy and unused in the parking lot during your 8 hour shift.

there are cases where uber can work---like the cases above. but you gotta put your options in perspective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I run both apps at the same time.. but give uber priority over lyft if both pings at the same time...(uber pays more...would love an app that governs both). When i get within 2 min of the pax destination i turn on the other app.. and if pinged i accept it.. drop off current pax then turn off app..... i have a full time job outside of rideshare.. so this is just extra..on my off day... my wife works downtown and i drop her off and work for 4hrs until she calls me for lunch.......
.. the guy with the wife that works in the city and this is his only full-time things.. seems like this should be perfect for that type of formula... sad to hear it not working out for you.. . Personally i love airport trips and long distance rides
I drive for both myself and YES I feel Uber DOES pay more!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

to put that into perspective, you can earn $15+/hr at Amazon's warehouse in Joliet packing orders.

there are cases where uber can work--

there are cases where uber can work---like the cases above. but you gotta put your options in perspective.
Kipper1967 clearly stated that $14-17 was AFTER Ubers CUT. I have an office job that pays me just a little over $14/hr ( I work 32hrs) I'm on the road most of the time so my car doesn't sit nicely through an eight hour shift.

·
Registered
196 Posts
the guy with the wife that works in the city and this is his only full-time things.. seems like this should be perfect for that type of formula... sad to hear it not working out for you..
I don't see why that would be a good formula for success, when the most money is made during rush hour and evenings. This poor guy is driving the dead hours...

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I don't see why that would be a good formula for success, when the most money is made during rush hour and evenings. This poor guy is driving the dead hours...
yes you're right. but sounds like his alternative is drive home, kill 6 hours, then drive back to wife's office for the evening commute. maybe the guy's already retired or something or a seasonal employee somewhere. so for that guy $5 / hour during dead hours beats making $0.

so sounds like a perfect Travis partner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'd like to. I drive for Lyft and Uber and when I run both apps I usually don't have much of a wait time between the two. I just don't do it for many hours. I don't know what my hourly is because I'd have to figure expenses beyond Lyft and Ubers' cuts.... Probably wouldn't be that high, but I've figured ways to increase it some just not substantially. Not yet anyway.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I am going to be pedantic here, because I am that way. "Does anyone here drive FT?". This is really an irrelevant question. GUberx drivers are all Independent Contractors. GUber makes zero distinction in terms of how many hours you log-in. Their are no benefits or other financial considerations/differences between one that logs-on 4 hours a month and one logging in +40hrs/week. We all sit waiting for the same Pings.

So the question one is really asking is, "Can I earn enough to support myself, doing this as an exclusive source of income?"
The answer is, "Possibly, greatly depends on your overall financial circumstance."
One would suggest you search this forum more thoroughly and you will find much information to assist you in answering this question (you could start in the "Pay" forum for example).

But really, you already know this answer...how much are you earning when you drive now? Divide this into the amount you require to live and that will provide a rough estimate of the number of weekly hours you should expect to be active. Did you study Math in school?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Q: Did you study Math in school?
A: No, I didn't study math in school I'm going for programming I make machines do math for me. But, I've been doing this long enough to know that it used to be better A LOT better and can be A LOT better.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Q: Did you study Math in school?
A: No, I didn't study math in school I'm going for programming I make machines do math for me. But, I've been doing this long enough to know that it used to be better A LOT better and can be A LOT better.
My post was directed at the OP's question. I'd say though, that your machine's math is spot on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts