Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
As @UberBastid explained, life is an opportunity, the more you participate the better it is.
Did I say that? Damn I'm smart.
I agree with me.

All the whole ''life'' thing is .. is a ticket to the dance.
You get to go to "the dance".
It's not a guarantee. It's an opportunity.
You get IN the door.

You can stand with your back to the wall, and be afraid to approach anyone because "they may laugh at me."
Or you can get your ass OUT THERE and ask the prettiest girl in the house if she'd like to dance.
No balls - no babies.

I am OLD. I got maybe days to live.
But, I have lived.
And, I don't regret any part of it.

And, I've done a lot of bad things.
But I don't regret a minute of my life.

I wish that you ALL can say the same thing. Some day.

So, what's that got to do with the topic of this thread?
Easy. Talk to people even if they don't wanna talk.
It really IS ALL ABOUT YOU.

Reactions: Trafficat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Over the years with local taxi services people always want a bit of a chat, whether its more of a vent at the driver is besides the point. Since starting with Uber I've noticed a lot of especially younger users prefer to have the car ride stay silent and will happily give a 5 star rating for it. Do other people get this often?
I’ve done about 10,000 rides and you are absolutely correct the younger generation do not want to talk with you in most cases. Occasionally they do but there is some sort of hidden agenda like they are practicing communication because this generation doesn’t really do it anymore unless it’s necessary.

Us older people used to have to fake our way through job interviews occasionally but these young people now have to fake their way through normal conversation. Social media made them this way.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
I’m not paid to talk. I’m paid to drive, I guess because I’m a introvert I’m happy to not say a word. So I say as less as possible, I don’t want to Know about them.

it’s a initial greeting when they hop in, good morning/afternoon/evening, I don’t confirm their name. Pretty obvious they are the rider or they wouldn’t be hopping in your car, I then confirm the destination, since I’ve had a couple enter in wrong address,

then off we go, if they start a conversation then il talk, but majority don’t want to talk, it’s either too early in the morning, many need their morning coffee fix first, or after work they are tired. Just want to head home.
Or too busy on their phone,

30,000 rides. 4.99 rating

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I drove, I USED Uber as a tool. Uber was a lead generator.

I was looking for a decent job, so I talked to people about what they did for a living. Where they worked. I'd give a short elevator pitch on my resume, and ask if there might be a spot for me in the company they work for - or even their companies competition.

I didn't play the radio (its broken), or a TV -- they needed to pay attention to me. It was all about me.

I didn't do WalMart runs, or UberDrunk, or college campus, or da hood. I didn't pick up from the jail on Sunday mornings. NONE of those people can help me.
I drove you home from work, I drove you and your wife to dinner and theater. I'd take you to church, or to get your hair done, or your dog groomed. THOSE were people that can help me. THOSE were my kind of peeps.

And, BTW, it's part of the ride. You have no choice.
We WILL talk - or you WILL walk.
interested to know how this worked out for you! did you land the decent job you were after?

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
interested to know how this worked out for you! did you land the decent job you were after?
Yes. I haven't driven for over four years now.

If you kiss enough frogs, you will find your prince - sooner or later.

I 'pitched' two people a day.
I got two or three leads a week.
Followed up one lead a week.

Got at least one interview a month, sometimes two.
I've been in my current job for these last four years.
Making good money in a recession proof industry.

It only takes one.
But, you'll never know who that one is if you don't ask.

Memorize an 'elevator pitch'. One minute brief on your resume.
Pitch your pax, ask if they know of a spot open in the company they work for.
If no, ask about their competition. Get two 'no' from them.
If they say yes, ask for the person to contact (Not HR). Ask if you can use their name when you call. Write it all down and FOLLOW UP.

Don't drive UberDrunk.
Don't pick up at the college, or the jail.
Work the hours that businesspeople are moving about - airport runs. Pick ups at hotels. Evening from 3pm to 9pm (coming home from work, taking wifey out to dinner)
Be where the targets are.
Don't sweat tips, or stars or any of that shit. You don't care about that.
Set a goal for X numbers of pitches a day - and do it.
If they don't wanna hear your pitch -- tell em to walk.
No radio. It's broken.

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
And, be aware that there are shills here for Uber that will ridicule your dreams for betterment, people like @Judge and Jury and the puppys that follow them like @Ms. Mercenary
There are people here like @jaxbeachrides that are sure that it won't work and can give reasons why not.
And too many shills to point out.

Do it. Keep doing it.
People will help IF you ask.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
And, be aware that there are shills here for Uber that will ridicule your dreams for betterment, people like @Judge and Jury and the puppys that follow them like @Ms. Mercenary
There are people here like @jaxbeachrides that are sure that it won't work and can give reasons why not.
And too many shills to point out.

Do it. Keep doing it.
People will help IF you ask.
You do know what a female puppy is, right? 😏

Seamus, did you see what he called me?!?!?!?! 😂

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
You do know what a female puppy is, right? 😏

Seamus, did you see what he called me?!?!?!?! 😂
Seamus has called ME worse.
And, I don't think 'the B word' can be used any more.
You'd have to be a menstruating puppy.

Can't call someone a 'woman' any more.
They have to be called menstruating people.
Not my rules.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here in Melbourne, Australia I drive DiDi, daylight hours only, where close to zero pax initiate a chat with me. When they enter the vehicle with AirPods or on a phone call, I will say nothing to them the entire trip, but otherwise I say hi and confirm their name, then thanks at the end. Very few pax on DiDi rate the driver too, TBH I don't think DiDi pax expect much from their ride. Their rating is also hidden from them, so many don't even know there is a rating system.

On Uber, there are those riders who initiate very polite small talk with the driver, because they think it secures a 5 star rating. This is mostly people aged 30+. I think most Uber pax expect a polite driver and clean car (where DiDi pax have extremely low expectations), a lot of Uber pax rate the driver and monitor their own rating.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts