Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years with local taxi services people always want a bit of a chat, whether its more of a vent at the driver is besides the point. Since starting with Uber I've noticed a lot of especially younger users prefer to have the car ride stay silent and will happily give a 5 star rating for it. Do other people get this often?

Nose Smile Head Human body Cartoon

·
Premium Member
2019 Toyota Corolla
7,627 Posts
Over the years with local taxi services people always want a bit of a chat, whether its more of a vent at the driver is besides the point. Since starting with Uber I've noticed a lot of especially younger users prefer to have the car ride stay silent and will happily give a 5 star rating for it. Do other people get this often?
I'm a big believer in being able to chat up tips by giving them a tour, telling funny stories or pointing out interesting historical facts about the city.
If they are looking at the phone intently or otherwise engaged on it they probably dont want to talk.
One time I chatted up a $5 tip from a flight
attendant on a shortie to the airport 😎

·
Premium Member
2021 Chevy Bolt EV
4,651 Posts
The best advice I ever got on this board is to NOT speak unless spoken to. Let the rider moderate how much conversation there is. Having said that, I drive a lot of tourists and most of them want to talk. That's a good thing in terms of raising the tip. Conversely, a rider will mark you down if you force conversation.

I noticed the other day that Lyft now has a Silent Car feature. It's an option on the rider app that sends a note to the driver that the pax is requesting a quiet ride.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a TV and show CNN or music videos. The less conversation keeps peace and customer's are normally satisficed with that or on their own devices. I find the less conversation the better as nothing would be talked about that would constitute controversy.

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
When I drove, I USED Uber as a tool. Uber was a lead generator.

I was looking for a decent job, so I talked to people about what they did for a living. Where they worked. I'd give a short elevator pitch on my resume, and ask if there might be a spot for me in the company they work for - or even their companies competition.

I didn't play the radio (its broken), or a TV -- they needed to pay attention to me. It was all about me.

I didn't do WalMart runs, or UberDrunk, or college campus, or da hood. I didn't pick up from the jail on Sunday mornings. NONE of those people can help me.
I drove you home from work, I drove you and your wife to dinner and theater. I'd take you to church, or to get your hair done, or your dog groomed. THOSE were people that can help me. THOSE were my kind of peeps.

And, BTW, it's part of the ride. You have no choice.
We WILL talk - or you WILL walk.

• Haha
Reactions: Trafficat

·
Registered
207 Posts
Depends on the age usually…

Older folks usually talk while younger ones are on their phones… I have had a few younger ones talk a bit and hold a conversation but usually they are silent…
While there are exceptions, I found this to be the rule from my experience as well. Most of the under-35 riders tend to spend the entire trip with their heads buried in their phones or have headphones on. Many of them are so quiet I almost forget they're in my car. Conversely, I've found elderly folks to be the chattiest demographic.

I figured out a long time ago to allow the rider to dictate the conversation, or the lack thereof during the trip. Has worked like a charm for me.

On a related note, I get a lot of people going to work or going home from work, the vast majority of them with jobs which involve dealing with the public all day. I'd wager most of them appreciate the few minutes of peace and quiet they get while in my car.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
The vast majority of younger people and women, of any age, want silence. I prefer it that way too.
Gave a women a 1.5 hour ride and we never spoke other than the introduction and telling her I was stopping at a gas station. I'm 50 though so maybe younger people with younger drivers would be different.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Koenigsegg Regera
7,822 Posts
Let's not turn this into a political discussion. Use the politics section for that.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Koenigsegg Regera
7,822 Posts
I read my PAX, I engage them with a friendly greeting and verify identity and destination. From there I can generally tell if they want to chat or not.

I find most of the PAX want to chat, especially about restaurants and things to do.

Reactions: johnfraser1

·
Premium Member
5,974 Posts
Let's not turn this into a political discussion. Use the politics section for that.
How else am I going to spread My falsity and untruths to further my echo camber of misinformation directed at my agenda of political unrest?

Political lies matter!

I was going to add a line about twisting the truth to conform to the mold of civil unrest, but I think that might have been a little over the top.

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
I find most of the PAX want to chat, especially about restaurants and things to do.
I find that most PEOPLE like to talk about themselves.
A perfect segway to find out where they work, what they do and DO YOU THINK THERE'S A SPOT THERE FOR ME?
I was going to add a line about twisting the truth to conform to the mold of civil unrest, but I think that might have been a little over the top.
Yea, no -- you don't wanna say something like that.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I have a TV and show CNN or music videos. The less conversation keeps peace and customer's are normally satisficed with that or on their own devices. I find the less conversation the better as nothing would be talked about that would constitute controversy.
if my driver puts on cnn its automatically 1 star and no tip...

·
Registered
491 Posts
The vast majority of younger people and women, of any age, want silence. I prefer it that way too.
Gave a women a 1.5 hour ride and we never spoke other than the introduction and telling her I was stopping at a gas station. I'm 50 though so maybe younger people with younger drivers would be different.
You must be a blast on date night... :D

I'm just kidding. Your personal life is your personal life.

I find the more outgoing and fun I am the better time I have, and the more others enjoy themselves (usually). As @UberBastid explained, life is an opportunity, the more you participate the better it is.*

*some exclusions apply, see store for details

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
I used Uber a ton several years ago. I prefer the driver to operate like an airplane. Hello, don't crash, thank you/goodbye. I had a few drivers who were trying a little too hard to build rapport like I just walked into a new car dealership. Either way, I always tipped even back then.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts