Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is open-ended because I know people are always talking about how to work "smarter", be more "efficient", and game surging... I know its all possible but also what if you just sit and wait, is that good too?

Seems like sometimes there can be overthinking that might be more harmful than good?

I ask this as a driver who is always trying to think of strategy but the Bay has been slow for me the past few nights... Also, I now see that SherpaShare has announced they're building a navigation app based on 'millions' of pickup locations to help guide you to busier areas in real-time.

So, wondering what people think and if there's a way to outsmart other drivers?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I found everything I over think things it costs me like today. Today's been a waste of money. I think lyft has flooded the city with discounts. Probably need to sign up with them but hate wasting the time since I doubt there here lomg

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I've found "Don't chase the surge" to be completely true. By the time you get there it will be gone, and even if you're in the middle of it when it appears, it seems to discourage passengers from requesting rides until it goes away.

I think other strategies are really market- and time-dependent. In Madison, in the early mornings, I hang out downtown, and I get fairly steady business shuttling people to the airport for early flights out. In the evenings, I hangout at the airport to catch people coming home, and they might be going in any direction.

I think just stopping and turning the engine off between rides is a fine strategy, so long as you're not in a dangerous area, or you're in an area you know from experience you hardly ever get called in.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
I used to drive around haplessly waiting to get pinged. It worked ok but I spent a good enough of time just driving around, wasting gas.

I've found after dropping someone off, drive and park in a nearby shopping center or gas station if not at the drop off point itself and wait versus driving around and using up gas hoping for a ping. So far among the times I did wait, 4 out of 5 tme I'll get a ping in less than 10 minutes, sometimes while on a trip. It might help that I live and work in Silicon Valley.

I set a timer for 10 minutes and if I don't get a ping, I'll move to another location and do the same. It has worked for me in my area so I'll keep up with this strategy. I also used to chase surge but followed others' advice not to. It's tempting but they're right, waste of gas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts