Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate airport trip like I hate Uber. So much mileage for only $30 from CBD. I usually work in the south side, so from SOuth Yarra, St Kidla airport is only $35 away.

When I drop someone in the airport, I don't wait there and come back to Coburg or go back to city, so I have to drive like 50km for just $30 and then if you are struck in the traffic on the way back, your all morning will be finished.

So now I have firm strategy. If I go to pick somone and I see any suitcase or luggage, I just drove away and cancel the ride as "Rider No Show" and go offline for a while. I have done this 3 times so far.

Few weeks ago, I picked elderly couple from St Kilda who were going to Airport at around 6.30am. We were at airport around 7.15am. I came back to city at 8.30am as traffic was really nasty. So from 6.30am till 8.30am, I just made $35 with 60km driven. After that I try my best to avoid airport at any cost unless it's a decent surge of more than 1.7.

But I believe some of you guys like airport trips even when it's not surging.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Well most of my airport runs are from the east. So for me a airport trip is a good $50-60 dollars after fuber, its normally an hour to the airport and then 20 mins till I've got my next job if I don't pickup (which I haven't yet).

So its about $40/hr. Not that bad for non surge, better than doing station runs that seem to be more common now its colder out east ;)

Love the airport, very rarely come out with no rider :)
Still haven't popped my airport pickup cherry.... Best place to wait for a pickup ping?

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Oh you have upgraded the Uber shirt to a Uber hoodie I see!!

Hmmm interesting. So you pick them up and take them outside the geo fence area to get the ping? Stealing paxs from the taxi rank? :)

You sir are a pro at Ubering!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I hate airport trip like I hate Uber. So much mileage for only $30 from CBD. I usually work in the south side, so from SOuth Yarra, St Kidla airport is only $35 away.

When I drop someone in the airport, I don't wait there and come back to Coburg or go back to city, so I have to drive like 50km for just $30 and then if you are struck in the traffic on the way back, your all morning will be finished.

So now I have firm strategy. If I go to pick somone and I see any suitcase or luggage, I just drove away and cancel the ride as "Rider No Show" and go offline for a while. I have done this 3 times so far.

Few weeks ago, I picked elderly couple from St Kilda who were going to Airport at around 6.30am. We were at airport around 7.15am. I came back to city at 8.30am as traffic was really nasty. So from 6.30am till 8.30am, I just made $35 with 60km driven. After that I try my best to avoid airport at any cost unless it's a decent surge of more than 1.7.

Airport no surge na na na . specially week days with traffic

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had an airport job on my 3rd ever job ... Was great $35 and had a ping 5min down the fwy.. Airport all the way :)

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I had an airport job on my 3rd ever job ... Was great $35 and had a ping 5min down the fwy.. Airport all the way :)
My first Uber ride EVER was a trip to the airport..... Was a great start and good paying job too. So couldn't complain as I went out mid afternoon, mid week to ease into it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Does the rider get charged a cancellation fee for that? If so, that's a bit of a dick move IMO.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You have to be at the 'pin' location for more than 5 mins to get a No show fee. So based that they're doing a drive by and a cancel, the pax won't be charged.
Ah yes of course, silly me.
My brain has clearly not activated as yet for this Monday morning, time for another coffee o_O

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Airport trips ar rubbish unless its either a surge or you get a trip from closeby

Same as any longish trip

No good driving CBD to Narre Warren then back to the city again unless surge or you live that way

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Haha UXDriver, you make me laugh.... So the list is now

No surge, no ride
No water, no mints
No airport jobs
No suburb jobs.

Gee doesn't leave much left to do!

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Haha UXDriver, you make me laugh.... So the list is now

No surge, no ride
No water, no mints
No airport jobs
No suburb jobs.

Gee doesn't leave much left to do!
I aim to actually make a profit not run at or close to a loss

If you want to drive 100km for $50 then feel free.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I aim to actually make a profit not run at or close to a loss

If you want to drive 100km for $50 then feel free.
Well at 1.4x surge, you'll only be driving for $70 to my '$50'.... So its not like we're really talking massively differently numbers here!

Normal hours are a lot more plentiful than surge hours. Anyhow... each to their own!

·
Registered
489 Posts
From where i live to Airport is ok during week end not week days as you kind of mostly stuck in traffic. From city to airport you get a lot on early sunday morning. I do not like them specially at 4 or 5 am caused you still have to drive back to city for another fare.

The only time i hate the airport trip is mainly evening week hrs between t
4pm to 7 pm

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Well at 1.4x surge, you'll only be driving for $70 to my '$50'.... So its not like we're really talking massively differently numbers here!

Normal hours are a lot more plentiful than surge hours. Anyhow... each to their own!
The 40% does make a massive difference

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
I do not like them specially at 4 or 5 am caused you still have to drive back to city for another fare.
You need to work on different ways to come back. Some are 'better' than others. The trick is to get away from the bulk of the uber drivers heading back into the city, as your chances of getting something is slim with 10 Ubers in front of you and 10 behind you!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.