Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
people getting rides on someone else's account? I thought about this yesterday when a man got into my car under what was obviously a woman's name. One of the things I count on with Uber is the fact that one needs some sort of credit or debit card to have an account and this filters out, I believe, undesirable people. What do you think and what is your experience?

Which reminds me of the time 'Carolyn' requested a ride and it was a guy but his name really was Carolyn. Kind of awkward.

·
Registered
97 Posts
This happened to me once. Was closing time on Glenwood South, went to where I was supposed to be, 3 guys jump in the back & told me where to go & my dumb ass took them (with a side trip through Cook Out) alllllll the way out to Norrrrrrth Raleigh. Was during surge & I can't remember what it was but it was around $50. The next day they deducted it from my account & sent me a generic message saying the customer never took the ride. Nothing I tried would convince them otherwise. Expensive lesson learned!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Safety first. A lot of randoms, a lot of crazy, a lot of risk. Procedure is there to protect you.
I hear you. I feel like I am Gibbs on NCIS...another experience that doesn't conform to my expectations, another rule.

This happened to me once. Was closing time on Glenwood South, went to where I was supposed to be, 3 guys jump in the back & told me where to go & my dumb ass took them (with a side trip through Cook Out) alllllll the way out to Norrrrrrth Raleigh. Was during surge & I can't remember what it was but it was around $50. The next day they deducted it from my account & sent me a generic message saying the customer never took the ride. Nothing I tried would convince them otherwise. Expensive lesson learned!
I hear you. And I take your experience to heart. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
It's very simple now that pax have to enter the address.
1) They have to give me their name first. I've had people ask me who am I picking up and demand an answer. I tell them that's not how it works and if they insist, I reply nobody and drive off, go around the corner and cancel.
2) I confirm destination, if they say no, I'm going to ... I make them change it on their app. If they can't (like too drunk) we don't move unless they show me the app on their phone with my picture and plate.

Then if Uber tries to tell me I picked up the wrong pax, I say I voice and location verified, would you like the video? Please give me my money bOut of 7K rides, not bad.ack. I had one in the old days that someone hoodwinked me and I lost $10 or so. I've had 2 attempts since then and Uber has returned the money to me. Every other week or so I will get some bozo trying to hop in the car when it's not theirs especially Sat. night.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I just always ask for their name, and if they say something different than the name on the app I ask them who requested the ride, or name of the account holder. Usually if they can give me the name of the person on the account I'm good, and have it on camera. The rider app used to notice when you were requesting a ride far away from you and asked “are you requesting this ride for someone else”? You would have to put in a name to get through the app. Now I know you have the option of saying who the ride is for, but I don’t know if it forces you to provide a contact. No issues since.

I changed my ways one evening, which I think was a set up, where the girl came up with some friends and said she was the name on the phone, knew it at least even though she was drunk. Her and her friends got in and we started on the way, then about 5 minutes pass and someone calls saying they are the rider. Canceled the trip shortly after hanging up, which was after I kicked 4 kids out of the car and left them at some apartments on Glenwood. One of the guys tried to say he would give me $20 to take them to their destination, but it was a Select ride and the payout was way more than $20. Uber of course took the money back and the next week I installed my camera system. Why do I think it was a set up? Well, I don’t put that Uber logo on my windshield unless I’m going to the airport and have to. I text the PAX when arriving and specifically said “outside in front of the venue”. It may be this group over saw it, idk, but lessson learned and now I have a pretty awesome camera. I also never text or contact the pax anymore. If they aren’t where the app shows them, I’ll wait for them to call me. I did my part by showing up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I changed my ways one evening, which I think was a set up, where the girl came up with some friends and said she was the name on the phone, knew it at least even though she was drunk. Her and her friends got in and we started on the way, then about 5 minutes pass and someone calls saying they are the rider. Canceled the trip shortly after hanging up, which was after I kicked 4 kids out of the car and left them at some apartments on Glenwood. One of the guys tried to say he would give me $20 to take them to their destination, but it was a Select ride and the payout was way more than $20. Uber of course took the money back and the next week I installed my camera system. Why do I think it was a set up? Well, I don't put that Uber logo on my windshield unless I'm going to the airport and have to. I text the PAX when arriving and specifically said "outside in front of the venue". It may be this group over saw it, idk, but lessson learned and now I have a pretty awesome camera. I also never text or contact the pax anymore. If they aren't where the app shows them, I'll wait for them to call me. I did my part by showing up.
This sounds like a set up. I bet the group knew the account holder, and they planned to get a free ride. They thought the poor driver would take them for free because he had feelings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts