• I love chatting with my passengers

• I prefer not to chat with my passengers

• it depends how I'm feeling

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, hi everyone to everyone who contributes regularly to this forum. I've been Ubering for over a year now and thought I'd finally take the plunge and make an account so I too could help out.

To the meat of this thread. Do you like chatting with your passengers? After reading through a few of the threads, I get the feeling that many drivers do not enjoy chatting with their passengers.

I love chatting with passengers and would prefer to chat 10/10 times and I find it a bit boring when its not suitable to do so (Pax doesn't want to chat or is engaging in chat amongst themselves)

I have come to the conclusion that my ability to hold a conversation is solely responsible for my high rating (Consistently over 4.90) because I don't do anything else. No mints/water/wash the outside of the car ever. If its true then I am very glad because its one of the more enjoyable aspects of the job.

I'd love to know what other drivers think.

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
It all depends on where I pick them up. ..

How was your stay at the (Marriott, Hilton, etc)?
Was it a good (Concert, Play, game, etc)?

Or if they're headed to a location. ..

Are you in from out of town?
Did you get good seats?
Did you have a good flight?

Those are just lead in questions. If they seem chatty and happy, I'll keep talking.

I always ask travelers, "Do we need to hurry? " if they say yes, I'll tell them that I will do my best not to waste any time.

I let everyone, even the quiet ones, know to feel free to give me directions, turn up the AC/heat or change the radio.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think those of us that enjoy Ubering are generally outgoing type people. Bare in mind some paxs can be shy especially jumping into a vehicle with a complete stranger Eye contact and a smile is usually the best ice breaker. I think a good an anology would be say you walk into a pub do you think everybody in that room wants to chat with you. Well I know there probably some I wouldn't want to chat to. Night driving helps where they can hide in a cloak of darkness and it makes it more noticeable that their on their phone. Probably the worst I had was when I was dying for a chat and the paxs grasp of English just wasn't there. And by the end I wished they would just shut up because I couldn't understand a word they were saying

·
Registered
55 Posts
I always ask travelers, "Do we need to hurry? " if they say yes, I'll tell them that I will do my best not to waste any time.

I let everyone, even the quiet ones, know to feel free to give me directions, turn up the AC/heat or change the radio.
Are you implying you waste time on other fares? Or just a general ice breaker to attempt to make the pax feel better?

What is your reaction if they ever say yes I'm running late for a train etc? Do you go over the speed limit?

Generally curious as I've asked the same thing a few times, only time a pax has said yes was this morning (after I waited several minutes at the pick up address for her) and after she said that I was thinking well there's not much I can actually do without breaking the law.

·
Premium Member
11,817 Posts
I prefer to chat than not to chat as like everyone says can get boring...

Just depends on the pax, some pax don't want to chat so I stay quiet..

I find the daytime pax are more busy and prefer not to chat as they normally are in a rush to meetings, airport, work...
The nighttime pax are more relaxed as end of the day and you can engage more...

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I prefer not to make trivial small talk just for the sake of filling the void of silence. However, if a rider makes conversation I'm happy to oblige as long as it's neutral and not about politics, religion, etc.

I like to provide a quiet and relaxing ride for the customer. I usually have a google station that plays soothing ambient electronica very low in the background. I even get compliments on the music selection. It can appeal to pretty much anyone. Sometimes I have ESPN radio talk playing as well. Not at the same time obviously LOL.

But I feel it's always best to let the rider start conversation. Nothing worse than a driver who rambles on like an unstoppable moron. I've had riders mention they have had drivers annoy the crap out of them by not knowing when to shut up. These drivers seem like they enjoy the sound of their own voice.

One more thing on this subject; when a customer wants to chat, I think it's best to listen more than speak. In reality, most talkers don't really care what we have to say. They usually are just waiting for their turn to speak.

My rating is 4.89 after 1200 trips so I think being quiet and/or a good listener is just fine with most pax. If you want to run your yap, talk to your friends, significant other, etc. Our job is getting our riders to their destinations safely.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If they chat I chat...I always do the standard meet greet exchange and a couple of leading questions but if they dont want to talk I just turn the radio up...long trips with no conversation at all is just uncomfortable....

Night riders always the best .. chat all the way

·
Premium Member
3,173 Posts
Are you implying you waste time on other fares? Or just a general ice breaker to attempt to make the pax feel better?

What is your reaction if they ever say yes I'm running late for a train etc? Do you go over the speed limit?

Generally curious as I've asked the same thing a few times, only time a pax has said yes was this morning (after I waited several minutes at the pick up address for her) and after she said that I was thinking well there's not much I can actually do without breaking the law.
It's mostly to make them feel better. I try not to break the law, but there are little ways to save a few seconds here and there, so I'll do that.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I enjoy chatting with those that are happy to engage. I find if I have built up a chat rapport with the pax they are more forgiving when the app sends me the wrong way in an unfamiliar area, or if we are stuck in traffic (which we know we cant control but some pax expect miracles). Im only new but it seems that I get more 5 star ratings with passengers Ive chatted to, and the 4 star ratings have come from those that didnt say a word.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Not always. Last week i had a very short shift ,3 trips. On 3 of them we had nice very friendly chat. And 3 of them were 100% success with the right navigation and the car was very clean. One of them gave 1 star :) !! Some pax are just idiots and will give u low rating just for the fun of it . Or for some mental issues they are suffering from lol

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Not always. Last week i had a very short shift ,3 trips. On 3 of them we had nice very friendly chat. And 3 of them were 100% success with the right navigation and the car was very clean. One of them gave 1 star :) !! Some pax are just idiots and will give u low rating just for the fun of it . Or for some mental issues they are suffering from lol
Was there any comment with the 1 star? Are you sure that was from one of the 3 trips you did or could it have been a leftover from previous trips? I'd keep an eye on it. I know someone who had a 3 star rating yesterday which today seems to have reverted to a 5 star.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Was there any comment with the 1 star? Are you sure that was from one of the 3 trips you did or could it have been a leftover from previous trips? I'd keep an eye on it. I know someone who had a 3 star rating yesterday which today seems to have reverted to a 5 star.
No that was a day after over a week of not working and no notes were left.
I think they have to make a rule if u want to leave low rating u must say why .. but again the whole process of rating in uber is not working.

Usually rating is to show you where you are not doing well. To keep it secret will take u no where. If i dont know which trip was low i wont know what should i improve.
Then i always think .. its uber they will never listen ir change :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.