• Yes

• No

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Koenigsegg Regera
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slow Sunday, went online with Uber & Lyft at 9:00 AM. So far 1 ride with Uber for $8.01 and 3 rides with Lyft for $33.23 plus 1 Shuffle on Lyft for $5. A whopping $46.24 for nearly 9 hours of being online. Rides were all spread out, sitting at home while not on a ride.

5:56 PM you get this request @ 2 miles from your house. 7 minute ride because of heavy traffic. 5.0 Star, No Picture, Name: Wackie, Long Ride 45+

Do you accept the ping?

White Light Product Map World

·
Premium Member
26,817 Posts
It is the name that bothers me, as well. Original Poster states that it was slow. When it is slow, you do take more chances. Had the business even been mediocre, I would not accept the ping. As it was slow, I would at least check out the job. You can accept the ping and, as @Pax Collector advises, call. Even when he answered and sounded acceptable, still, I would approach with doors locked, window cracked and go two miles per hour for the last block as I looked about hoping to spot "Wackie" while I was still moving. If I did not like his looks, I could accelerate and escape. If he looked allright, still, I would want to talk to him through the cracked window.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Slow Sunday, went online with Uber & Lyft at 9:00 AM. So far 1 ride with Uber for $8.01 and 3 rides with Lyft for $33.23 plus 1 Shuffle on Lyft for $5. A whopping $46.24 for nearly 9 hours of being online. Rides were all spread out, sitting at home while not on a ride.

5:56 PM you get this request @ 2 miles from your house. 7 minute ride because of heavy traffic. 5.0 Star, No Picture, Name: Wackie, Long Ride 45+

Do you accept the ping?

View attachment 310313
Mass murderes rarely advertise that fact. Slow day, and at my rates ? I'm all over it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts

Do you accept the ping?

View attachment 310313
Absolutely no long regular rides unless Lux. Long X rides not profitable without minimum 2X surge or fix dollar surge to compensate for return miles. Otherwise only benefits passengers and Lyft/Uber.

·
Premium Member
12,343 Posts

Do you accept the ping?

View attachment 310313
I'm wackie enough to accept!! :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Look I understand the plight of drivers. Many believe that a ride is better than none. However, taking unprofitable rides only encourages the company to continue reducing rates. The driver becomes the facilitator. It's like giving money to a teenage daughter who has a drug and alcohol problem.
If drivers did not accept long rides with these insanely low rates Uber /Lyft would have to make changes to better compensate drivers.
Long rides only benefits the rider and the company.
How low will rates have to go for drivers to realize that it's futile to accept rides. At these rates drivers are actually paying Uber and Lyft to provide rides.
Drivers who take unprofitable rides are like junkies who will do anything for a hit.
Sorry, don't mean to disrespect anyone. But please wakeup.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Koenigsegg Regera
7,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
NO...that location is a bar/marina...

I would be terribly gun-shy...8>)

Butt...depends on time of day...8>)

Rakos
View attachment 310333
Sunday's are huge there 100's of people come by boat and car, parking lot is packed, people park down the sides of the road for 1/2 mile. Cars parked under the bridges, it's nuts on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
882 Posts
I never accept long ride requests. In my case it usually means driving to Chicago, which means I'll drive back empty. So $80-90 for 4 hours and 200+ miles is not worth it.

·
Premium Member
7,220 Posts
Look I understand the plight of drivers. Many believe that a ride is better than none. However, taking unprofitable rides only encourages the company to continue reducing rates. The driver becomes the facilitator. It's like giving money to a teenage daughter who has a drug and alcohol problem.
If drivers did not accept long rides with these insanely low rates Uber /Lyft would have to make changes to better compensate drivers.
Long rides only benefits the rider and the company.
How low will rates have to go for drivers to realize that it's futile to accept rides. At these rates drivers are actually paying Uber and Lyft to provide rides.
Drivers who take unprofitable rides are like junkies who will do anything for a hit.
Sorry, don't mean to disrespect anyone. But please wakeup.
Depends on the market. If I get one it's normally to the Omaha airport. 60 easy minutes and $70 plus normally $10 to $20 tip. Rarely have to deadhead all the way back.

Wish I had one a day. 2 hours work at $40 per!

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Yes! Its the Russian Roulette side of the game. Id definately take it.

If the area im in is dead and someone is going to pay, on a non traffic sunday to transport me to a diierent area im happy to roll the dice
This. I don't mind 45+ (or the equivalent) most of the time if I'm in my home area, since they usually take me to an even busier area where I can ant for a bit to get my return gas/time money. And, who knows, might even get a ride closer to home. Just like what happened to me on Saturday. Doesn't always happen, of course, but if I'm online, I'm willing to take the risk and don't necessarily mind the change of scenery if my area is slow.

But, as usual, every market is different.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.