Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that Uber uses our data on their phone, when we aren't driving? They use my data while not online. Uber also wants full access to our phone. Uber has warehouses full of super computers, spread across the country. Super computers know everything you are doing on and offline and analysing it. Their analysis determines who gets what quests and bonuses and yes.... even surges. An example is. If I drive continually in one area for weeks on end. My pings slow down and drive me out of that area. Yet others on this forum say how great it was, in the same area I was in, at the same time. If I go to where I hardly ever have gotten pings before for months. My phone blows up.
Same with quests. Now most of us think our quests are tied to the previous week. Uber knows that we all think that way. What I have discovered is this. If I cherry pick the heck out of my rides. Two weeks after. My quest is terrible. But if I am a good employee (IC). Two weeks later my quest is pretty good.
One last point. If I don't give Uber permission to my phone or sms messages. They don't know if I contact my rider or not when waiting. And I always get a cancellation fee after it times out without contacting rider. My points are. We need to think outside of the box. Uber did not become a 77 billion corp. on accident.
So what the H-E- (double hockey sticks) is my point? Like most of my posts state. "Homie dont play dat." I don't allow Uber to access anything on my phone. (Yes that means I cant check surges.) But when I am out and about or driving for personal reasons. I allow them to have my location only. When I drive for them. I allow location only. When I want to drive to a different location. I don't allow them access. My last point is. However most of us work and think. Don't do it that way. As a group. We wont beat their computers. Since doing this. My pay has increased 15% overall, over last years pay when things were better for drivers.
Like Ali used to say. Float like a butterfly. Sting like a bee. Yo hands cant hit. What yo eyes don't see.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Has anyone noticed that Uber uses our data on their phone, when we aren't driving? They use my data while not online. Uber also wants full access to our phone. Uber has warehouses full of super computers, spread across the country. Super computers know everything you are doing on and offline and analysing it. Their analysis determines who gets what quests and bonuses and yes.... even surges. An example is. If I drive continually in one area for weeks on end. My pings slow down and drive me out of that area. Yet others on this forum say how great it was, in the same area I was in, at the same time. If I go to where I hardly ever have gotten pings before for months. My phone blows up.
Same with quests. Now most of us think our quests are tied to the previous week. Uber knows that we all think that way. What I have discovered is this. If I cherry pick the heck out of my rides. Two weeks after. My quest is terrible. But if I am a good employee (IC). Two weeks later my quest is pretty good.
One last point. If I don't give Uber permission to my phone or sms messages. They don't know if I contact my rider or not when waiting. And I always get a cancellation fee after it times out without contacting rider. My points are. We need to think outside of the box. Uber did not become a 77 billion corp. on accident.
So what the H-E- (double hockey sticks) is my point? Like most of my posts state. "Homie dont play dat." I don't allow Uber to access anything on my phone. (Yes that means I cant check surges.) But when I am out and about or driving for personal reasons. I allow them to have my location only. When I drive for them. I allow location only. When I want to drive to a different location. I don't allow them access. My last point is. However most of us work and think. Don't do it that way. As a group. We wont beat their computers. Since doing this. My pay has increased 15% overall, over last years pay when things were better for drivers.
Like Ali used to say. Float like a butterfly. Sting like a bee. Yo hands cant hit. What yo eyes don't see.
I'm not really certain how I would change the settings on my iPhone to do the same. Since I drive mostly Lyft, do you think this is what they do also?

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
If I'm not driving I force close both Uber and Lyft so they don't run in background.

What else do I need to do?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Conspiracy, Dude you need to take proper breaks between 12 hrs shift lol

·
Registered
438 Posts
Uber and Lyft Apps are sneaky and wants to always know your whereabouts - whether you are online or not.
By default, they grant themselves permissions to always collect your location data.
However, if you go into Settings you can configure to grant permission only while using the App.
Couple important points to note here. One, if the App is open but you are not Online they are still tracking you.
You will need to particularly "Log Out" of the App for them not to track you.
Two, every time you update the App make sure that the settings did not revert to the App default set ups.
Couple times, i noticed that the newer version of the App reverted to the default "location sharing" settings!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts