Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know why some drivers get fired for enforcing mask mandate rules due to riders making complaints on them. I’ve seen tons of videos and it’s insane. Obviously 70-80% of the time the riders will make up some false BS story like always, but why is it always when it’s about mask rules. I will soon start doing Uber as a summer side gig. Is it ok to let riders have the choice to wear a mask or not? I DO NOT want this type of situation where people will report for forcing them to wear a mask.

·
Premium Member
16,382 Posts
Is it ok to let riders have the choice to wear a mask or not?
TOS you agree to and the pax say masks still required. No exceptions.

Most likely until the FAA removes the mask requirement for airports and planes, both uber and lyft will keep the mask mandate in place.

Pax want to have a crying jag, they can do so from the curb or walking to their destination.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I intend to return to driving very soon to work a guarantee. I am fully vaccinated and I will wear a mask while driving, but I have no intention of enforcing the mask rule on my pax as I feel it would be bad for my ratings and retaliatory complaints may lead to a suspension of my driving privileges while I am trying to work the aforementioned guarantee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I intend to return to driving very soon to work a guarantee. I am fully vaccinated and I will wear a mask while driving, but I have no intention of enforcing the mask rule on my pax as I feel it would be bad for my ratings and retaliatory complaints may lead to a suspension of my driving privileges while I am trying to work the aforementioned guarantee.
I agree. I’m planning on doing the same once I start. I’m in CA and people down here are very entitled. I think the safest way is to let riders have it their way to avoid any problems. But still wear the mask as a driver.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I agree. I’m planning on doing the same once I start. I’m in CA and people down here are very entitled. I think the safest way is to let riders have it their way to avoid any problems. But still wear the mask as a driver.
California here too.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
Gotta get a dash cam if you don’t have one. Paxholes we’re a pain before covid, now they have to do something they will complain and try to get you deactivated, I just don’t want to deal with these entitled pax, they need to get rid of the mask mandates and soon, it’s getting to be too confusing and these pax will throw a fit every time

·
Registered
350 Posts
I keep a bag of masks and hand them out if they do not have one. If they have not been vaccinated, they will not get a ride if they do not wear a mask. Period. I will always wear a mask and I have been vaccinated. No way in hell I would do this job with out it.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I don’t know why some drivers get fired for enforcing mask mandate rules due to riders making complaints on them. I’ve seen tons of videos and it’s insane. Obviously 70-80% of the time the riders will make up some false BS story like always, but why is it always when it’s about mask rules. I will soon start doing Uber as a summer side gig. Is it ok to let riders have the choice to wear a mask or not? I DO NOT want this type of situation where people will report for forcing them to wear a mask.
Let the customer decide.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
The mask thing is a big pain in Uber's ass. Uber simply doesn't have the time to address every ****ing mask complaint. Their biggest issue right now is getting enough drivers on the road to handle the demand. They aren't going to deactivate someone for not wearing a mask (driver or pax).

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
And this is why I’m not taking passengers anymore, only doing food. Food doesn’t have to wear a mask in my car. And I won’t get reported if I’m not wearing mine.

·
Rebel Honey Badger
17,878 Posts
It's likely still a requirement in some areas if not nationwide. In Seattle every rideshare driver I've seen is wearing a mask. Even though our state is fully open, the Delta strain is running strong here. I just checked the local Greenlight Hub website. They are still operating under Covid restrictions so I imagine they expect their drivers to do the same.

·
2021 Bugatti Chiron
6,444 Posts
I drive, I wear a mask when PAX are in the car, not because Uber says I should, because I don't want to risk a PAX reporting me for a free ride.. I don't care if my PAX wear a mask and I don't ask them to. Not for the reasons you posted (ratings, retaliation) I simply don't care if they wear the mask, I don't care if they are vaccinated, I don't care if they already had COVID. I simply don't care. If the ask me i say I don't care, if they start to tell me thy have been vaccinated, I cut them off and say I don't care. We continue on with the ride and all is well.

I rarely get sick, I practice decent hygiene, I don't over use hand sanitizer, in fact the only time I do use it is when soap and water is not available. I have never been and never will be a germaphobe. I and a firm believer in eating a little dirt won't kill you. May be living my life like that has helped me build up my immune system, maybe I am taking a major risk in life and my luck will run out soon. I'd rather live life instead of living in fear.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Let the customer decide.
That has pretty much been my policy since the pandemic started. However, if they opt to not wear a mask, the windows are coming down whether they like it or not. I've had numerous anti-maskers get in my car and ask if I was going to report them. I said, "No. Uber doesn't pay me enough to become the mask police. For my own protection and yours, though, I will be increasing the airflow through this vehicle as long as you are inside it."

Everyone agrees that this is a reasonable compromise. Some people actually like the fresh air. I've had zero fights over masks with riders, and even some tips from anti-maskers. Works out pretty well given the ridiculous politicization of this issue.

It's called being a reasonable adult. So many people in this world need to have their way, or it's the highway. That's not how a civilized society functions.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I drive, I wear a mask when PAX are in the car, not because Uber says I should, because I don't want to risk a PAX reporting me for a free ride.. I don't care if my PAX wear a mask and I don't ask them to.
Pretty much my exact policy. I wear a mask to avoid the paxholes looking for a free ride, and because masks will reduce the likelihood of transmission. The best thing one can do to avoid transmission in a vehicle is to have substantial airflow. Windows down with the fan blowing on high will pretty much stop any ability for the virus to jump from person to person. That much airflow disperses the viral load instantly.

·
Premium Member
16,382 Posts
If I'm required to wear a mask, the pax dam well will be wearing one too. I have 2 packs of them in the car, so here you go, put this on and be happy.

Reactions: MyJessicaLS430

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
If I'm required to wear a mask, the pax dam well will be wearing one too. I have 2 packs of them in the car, so here you go, put this on and be happy.
I wear a mask because I'm all about crossing Ts and dotting Is. It's a self-protection measure just not because of a pandemic, but because Uber/Lyft requires me to have one on whenever a passenger is present. It's not an unreasonable request, given the nature of what we are facing.

Having a passenger damage my car or punch me is not a risk worth taking over a mask. This is especially true because the quick remedy (rolling down a window) is so much easier to implement than having a heated debate about whether masks work against COVID-19 or not. My time is too valuable, and so is my property. If an angry passenger puts a fist into my door or window, I'm pretty much on the hook for that damage.

We've all seen how Uber drags its feet on paying for damages to a vehicle caused by one of their idiotic passengers. It's so much easier to bypass all that drama and just do a simple job. The passenger doesn't need to suffer with a mask on, because I'm being asked to wear one by a rideshare company.

·
Premium Member
16,382 Posts
It's so much easier to bypass all that drama and just do a simple job.
perhaps, but against what you agreed to each and every time you go online. So there's that too.

If people can wear masks in airports, on planes, they can do so for rides. Period, hard stop.

And I disgree. If i have to suffer, so shall the pax. They are free to complain to Uber and the Federal Gov'ment.

Reactions: MyJessicaLS430

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
perhaps, but against what you agreed to each and every time you go online. So there's that too.

If people can wear masks in airports, on planes, they can do so for rides. Period, hard stop.
If you like policing divisive mandates made by other people, so be it. I do not. I'd rather have a pleasant ride, than to spend valuable time debating an obvious moron about the merits of infectious disease mitigation. I'm fully vaccinated. There's very little chance a pax is going to infect me with all the other measures I have in place.

I agree to all kinds of things with Uber/Lyft. But guess what? Their rules tend to be garbage. I've cancelled rides for total BS reasons. I've refused pings because I didn't like the location or the profile pic of the person requesting the pick-up. I'm not supposed to do that, either...but I do.

I wear a mask to protect my interests. I'm not doing it to make the rideshare companies happy. I allow passengers the right to make their own decision about a mask. It makes the job easier for me, and that's all I really care about in the greater scheme of things.

·
Premium Member
16,382 Posts
I allow passengers the right to make their own decision about a mask.
yeah, I get. I on the other hand allow the pax to follow the TOS THEY agreed to. Or get out. It's simple and easy. My role in RS is point A to point B; that's it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts