Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Do any of y'all

805 views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  ATL2SD 
#1 ·
actually make money? I don't see how you can with dead miles, .75, .85., etc. per mile....Whenever I check the Uber app I'm amazed at what I see on the roads driving around.

#5 ·
Hello, new guy here.
I work 7:30 to 6pm at an office job and drive Uber 6:30pm to whenever i get tired or end up near my home.
Just got my signup/refer bonus last week so woohoo to that.
Money is out there.. but you have to work for it like ANY OTHER JOB.
I've only been doing this for 2weeks now. as for now.. what i'm getting at is.. drive more to earn more simple as that.

#7 ·
It is definitely not a way to make big money. Ideally you are using Uber to supplement another source of income. Personally I have rental income, and Uber about equals that after my expenses. In my area we get $1.00/mile and $.10/minute, and we rarely surge. I work days only, so I know I miss some weekend night surges, but I have never had any luck chasing surge, so I don't bother.

Here is what I figured out being logged in full time about 48 hours a week:

Approx. $700 a week gross $36,400
Uber takes 25% -$9,100
That leaves $525 before expenses $27,300
I spend about $75 a week on gas -$3900
Insurance is $140 a month -$1700
Set of Tires -$500
Brakes -$500
Miscellaneous repairs -$1000
Net before taxes: $19,700

I drive about 1000 miles a week (total including dead miles on a vehicle that is strictly for Uber), so 52,000 a year. IRS deduction is $.575/mile = $29,900. So that's way more than I'll be claiming I earn. Since this is my first year, I don't know how that will compute for tax purposes, but you can figure on not paying much if any income taxes.

Is it worth it on an hourly basis? No. But am I really working 48 hours per week? Heck no. Today for example, I was logged in for 6 hours 12 minutes, but my total time with passengers in my car was only 2 hours 15 minutes. My market is very slow mid day. I could go a couple hours with no pings.

The real benefit is the flexibility to do it whenever you have time.

#9 ·
I've had made enough money to practically pay off my whole car and save enough for an upgrade. I say that working for Uber was probably one of the best decisions I've made. I can't say that working at McDonalds could've accomplished that. It wouldn't be possible since I am a full-time student and my schedule changes often. I've been working this gig part-time since May 2015 and I have no plans to stop unless I somehow get deactivated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.