With less than three weeks until Philadelphia hosts the Democratic National Convention, the U.S. Secret Service, which is in charge of security for the event, has released information about road closures and other restrictions during the event.
The good news is, unlike the papal visit last September, there will be no restrictions in Center City. The affected areas are limited to the Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia where the convention will be held.
A map of street closures released by the Secret Service is shown above.
According to a press release from the agency, "fencing, other physical barriers and uniformed law enforcement officers" will be used to enforce road closures and other restrictions.
The city expects about 50,000 visitors for the DNC, including delegates and media. Thousands of protesters are also expected.
Representatives from the city, state and Secret Service are expected to provide more details during a news conference this afternoon at 3:15 p.m.
Please check back here for updates.
Here are the roads that will be off limits starting at 12 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, until "late evening" Friday, July 29:
- North and south bound lanes of S. Broad Street between Packer Avenue and the Navy Yard/Terminal Avenue
- Pattison Avenue from S. 7th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Terminal Avenue from S. Broad Street to S. 11th Street
- S. 11th Street from Hartranft Street to Terminal Avenue
During the same time frame, the following roads will be closed to all vehicles except those with authorized access:
- Pattison Avenue from S. 20th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
- Hartranft Street from S. Broad Street to S. Darien Street
- S. Darien Street from Packer Avenue to Lurie Way
- 10th Street south of Packer Avenue
From Monday, July 25, through Friday, July 29, exit 350 for Packer Avenue off I-76 east will be closed between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m.
Drivers should also be prepared for other exit ramp closures on I-95 at varying times, which PennDOTannounced last month.
The city has also released the dimensions of a"demonstration zone" in FDR Park, across the street from the Wells Fargo Center.
You must have a credential or ticket to enter the DNC at the Wells Fargo Center. Those with access will also be subjected to "a thorough security screening."
The Secret Service has also released a list of items that will be banned from the arena. That list can beviewed here. Delegates - don't bring your selfie sticks!