Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/...dnc-security-perimeter-map?linktype=hp_impact

With less than three weeks until Philadelphia hosts the Democratic National Convention, the U.S. Secret Service, which is in charge of security for the event, has released information about road closures and other restrictions during the event.

The good news is, unlike the papal visit last September, there will be no restrictions in Center City. The affected areas are limited to the Wells Fargo Center in South Philadelphia where the convention will be held.

A map of street closures released by the Secret Service is shown above.

According to a press release from the agency, "fencing, other physical barriers and uniformed law enforcement officers" will be used to enforce road closures and other restrictions.

The city expects about 50,000 visitors for the DNC, including delegates and media. Thousands of protesters are also expected.

Representatives from the city, state and Secret Service are expected to provide more details during a news conference this afternoon at 3:15 p.m.

Please check back here for updates.

Road closures

Here are the roads that will be off limits starting at 12 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, until "late evening" Friday, July 29:

• North and south bound lanes of S. Broad Street between Packer Avenue and the Navy Yard/Terminal Avenue
  • Pattison Avenue from S. 7th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
  • Terminal Avenue from S. Broad Street to S. 11th Street
  • S. 11th Street from Hartranft Street to Terminal Avenue

During the same time frame, the following roads will be closed to all vehicles except those with authorized access:

• Pattison Avenue from S. 20th Street to the eastern most entrance to FDR Park
  • Hartranft Street from S. Broad Street to S. Darien Street
  • S. Darien Street from Packer Avenue to Lurie Way
  • 10th Street south of Packer Avenue
All highways and expressways in Philadelphia will be open to passenger vehicles throughout the DNC. However, commercial vehicles over five tons (i.e., delivery trucks, utility vehicles, buses and tractor-trailers) will not be allowed to drive on I-95 between exit 13 exit 22.

From Monday, July 25, through Friday, July 29, exit 350 for Packer Avenue off I-76 east will be closed between 2 p.m. and 2 a.m.

Drivers should also be prepared for other exit ramp closures on I-95 at varying times, which PennDOTannounced last month.

The city has also released the dimensions of a"demonstration zone" in FDR Park, across the street from the Wells Fargo Center.

Banned items

You must have a credential or ticket to enter the DNC at the Wells Fargo Center. Those with access will also be subjected to "a thorough security screening."

The Secret Service has also released a list of items that will be banned from the arena. That list can beviewed here. Delegates - don't bring your selfie sticks!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I guess they expect to get all those people in and out with the subway system? I suppose groups from each state must have some transportation plan. Probably a lot of busses...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I guarantee you there will be numerous pins dropped from within the area you can't access. I had this happen when various seasonal fairs were going on and they had several large areas closed to vehicles, but sure enough some dumb pax would drop a pin five blocks into the closure. It's not a helicopter service.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was planning on making a point of being in Philly during the DNC. My impetus was the morning I was in Vegas 6 months ago and had to Uber to pick up a rental car and at 10AM got 3.3x surge because it was during the Consumer Electronics Show. I figure it will be hectic, but a good moneymaking opportunity. Do others feel differently?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I was planning on making a point of being in Philly during the DNC. My impetus was the morning I was in Vegas 6 months ago and had to Uber to pick up a rental car and at 10AM got 3.3x surge because it was during the Consumer Electronics Show. I figure it will be hectic, but a good moneymaking opportunity. Do others feel differently?
Let's address that problem... Is there a way to text a pax a map to say "I will pick you up HERE. I cannot access the location you requested."?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Let's address that problem... Is there a way to text a pax a map to say "I will pick you up HERE. I cannot access the location you requested."?
How about you park your car and walk to pax . greet them with water and gum walk them to your car while telling your life story and how much you love Uber .don't forget to carry the bags.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I plan on leaving my regular job at 4p and starting my uber runs from the airport all the week...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Will it be busy... yes underpaid airport runs to cc, uberpool, road closures & traffic. I could go on and on but I think I'll be staying in the burbs. Hope I'm wrong but I think you guys are going to have to work long hard hours putting up with a lot of bs to make any money

·
Registered
507 Posts
Will it be busy... yes underpaid airport runs to cc, uberpool, road closures & traffic. I could go on and on but I think I'll be staying in the burbs. Hope I'm wrong but I think you guys are going to have to work long hard hours putting up with a lot of bs to make any money
Well look at the bright side.... If you manage to pick up with in the secret service secure perimeter without getting shot you are guaranteed 2.0x surge.

·
Premium Member
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
look how nice our 30th street station looks now, DNC / Uber yoooo here we are ...

One thing that's for sure: Protests will be a big deal here next week, especially after this tumultuous month. Twenty-one protest permits have been granted, with only four denied and six pending as of Tuesday.

Then there's the fact that this is the Democratic National Convention. David S. Meyer, a UC-Irvine sociology professor whose research includes social movements, said these events offer exposure to protesters like they can't get anywhere or anytime else, not even like they could at the RNC in 2000.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts