Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been driving for about a week and only pickup people in Will County. Oh, and I love it.

But I'd rather not advertise my car as an Uber car if I don't have to, to taxi drivers and others that may want to bash my head in for taking their god-given right to a fare.

My question is do I need to abide by Chicago's requirements in the suburbs? What jurisdiction does Chicago have on forcing me to display the information outside city limits. I asked Uber this in an email, and their response was:

Thanks for writing in. Happy to help.

The City of Chicago requires ridesharing partners to display 4 documents at all times they are active on the platform. These include

1. Uber Trade Dress
  2. Vehicle Inspection (kept in glove box)
  3. City Emblem
  4. Uber ID
This is the link to your Uber ID:

This is the emblem link for the vehicle with license plate xxxxxxxx

Please display it at all times you are active on the platform. If you have additional questions, please check out the links below:

Don't hesitate to contact us again if you have other questions.
That didn't really answer my question. I know Chicago requires it, but I'm likely never going to accept rides in the city. If Uber or any city that wants to regulate it requires it, I'll happily abide by those rules. And if the Chicago mandate is bound by law, I'll display it as well. I just don't think it is.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I had the same question and received the same automated response. I place the stuff in the window before picking up the pax to help them ID my car or if I am driving in the city. Avoiding driving to Chicago is going to be more difficult than you think, even as far out as Joliet. I believe it may be illegal to deny riders because of their destination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I've been driving for about a week and only pickup people in Will County. Oh, and I love it.

But I'd rather not advertise my car as an Uber car if I don't have to, to taxi drivers and others that may want to bash my head in for taking their god-given right to a fare.

My question is do I need to abide by Chicago's requirements in the suburbs? What jurisdiction does Chicago have on forcing me to display the information outside city limits. I asked Uber this in an email, and their response was:

That didn't really answer my question. I know Chicago requires it, but I'm likely never going to accept rides in the city. If Uber or any city that wants to regulate it requires it, I'll happily abide by those rules. And if the Chicago mandate is bound by law, I'll display it as well. I just don't think it is.

Thanks for the help!
I've been driving for approx. 4 months (1500+ fares) and only use it entering / dropping off at ORD, MDW and McCormick Place. No hassles whatsoever. I actually have the U sticker, my U ID and my CHG certificate taped nicely on a hard sheet of cardboard and toss it on the dash. I only showed it to a PAX a handful of times. Again, no big deal.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lol...it is not illegal to deny riders because of their destination. It's your car, you can decide whether you want to take them or not. If you really don't want to do the trip, tell them to cancel and request another driver.
Chicago ordinance does not allow rideshare drivers to decline passenger boarding in the city because of destination. Oh, yeah, but it's still your car.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Thanks for the help!
City ordinances apply within the city.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Thanks for the help!
The answer to your question is "No, you don't have to display it anywhere else but Chicago."

However, it's a good idea to display the emblem while you are accepting rides, makes your car easier to spot for passengers. You don't have to worry about angry cab drivers, Chicago is one of those cities where Uber is generally universally accepted. I find city buses are more disruptive than cabs these days.

Good luck and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! I received an official response from Uber.

Hi ******,

If you are driving at any time in the city of chicago (includes airports) you will need the materials. This includes drop offs. If you are not in the city you do not need to display them

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm very, very new in a market that only opened in July. I haven't even been sent an Uber sticker for my car. Am I supposed to have/use one?

·
Registered
857 Posts
I keep my trade tress on the back of my passengers sun visor. Put it down and the U shows through the windshield no issue. put up and no one can see it ;)

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'm very, very new in a market that only opened in July. I haven't even been sent an Uber sticker for my car. Am I supposed to have/use one?
You wandered your way into the Chicago forums. In Chicago, yes. It's city regulation. In other areas, maybe not. Since you have not received one since July, I'd assume no, but I might email Uber to feel safe.

Edit: Here is a link to the temporary one that I talked about below, If you want to throw it on your windshield for shits and giggles. Trade Dress.

I keep my trade tress on the back of my passengers sun visor. Put it down and the U shows through the windshield no issue. put up and no one can see it ;)
That's a pretty neat idea. I printed the temporary one (with my ID printed on the back), reduced it a bit so it wasn't so gigantic, and applied it using easily removable scotch tape. I pull it off when I'm done Ubering on the weekend. If a cop wants to bust my balls, I'll pretend I just started and printed the temp one and "that's how it printed". Hopefully get off with a warning. I didn't make it that much smaller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys! I received an official response from Uber.
Thats great...thanks for posting the response from Uber. I feel like an idiot riding around with the Uber logo on my car even when I'm not working. I should've thought first before applying the plastic sleep entirely to my windshield. I'm going to drive for Lyft too, so it would be great to just exchange them out depending on who I'm driving for at that time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been driving for approx. 4 months (1500+ fares) and only use it entering / dropping off at ORD, MDW and McCormick Place. No hassles whatsoever. I actually have the U sticker, my U ID and my CHG certificate taped nicely on a hard sheet of cardboard and toss it on the dash. I only showed it to a PAX a handful of times. Again, no big deal.
Good idea. Nice display board. Throw it up when you need it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Throw some more shit on your windshield in $hitcago like an Uber AND Lyft placard. Pedestrians, bicyclists.........
Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Vehicle door Tints and shades Automotive mirror

The city was already supposed to be targeting these fools that line up years worth of annual vehicle stickers but they want you to put more crap on your windshield to ticket rideshare cars on a whim. Got it.

·
Registered
31 Posts

Thanks for the help!
I'm from Elgin area in Kane county where it splits to Cook county...I'm not looking to make alot just want to supplement only but like to make between $200-$300 a week so I'm willing to drive south towards Will but want to know if worth it?

·
Banned
1,786 Posts

Thanks for the help!
Chicago actually means Chicago and suburbs. Your worrt about taxi drivers is an excuse not to follow rules.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Chicago actually means Chicago and suburbs. Your worrt about taxi drivers is an excuse not to follow rules.
Koolbreeze!!!!! Well and alive

Hi djvik, I sign up last November. Gave 1500 rides, never displayed anything. I neither want to advertise for Uber lyft nor did I want all my friends know I'm driving Uber. Nobody ever said anything and it doesnt seem to be a problem

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Cannot deny based on destination?

Ohhhhhh..Really........

Prove it after IM LOOOONG GONE.

COME ON PEOPLE ..WAKE UP

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Koolb; way to resurrect a thread from the grave! Wasn't that Blackjack's job?

Technically you need to have your trade dress and licenses displayed and can be cited for not doing so anywhere in the Chicago region. However, I have not yet heard of any actual enforcement outside city limits. But I would have it out in the City and particularly at airports, convention centers, Navy Pier and Union Station.

Most Taxi Drivers have a lot more to worry about than an Uber / Lyft driver.

As for refusing based on destination; well just wait until you cancel a ride to a minority neighborhood and the rider decides to protest. If you have a history of doing so, Uber is not going to risk running afoul of City Hall to keep you on the platform.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
It usta be uber trucker job, then Beams took a swap, nowadays, seemingly everyone's game. Last 100 didn't get me. Today, KB got me, hat tip.
I guess this tiki torch and lycra Balaclava---will be of no use to me now. Maybe mañana.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts