Uber Drivers Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
At least some of that increased demand is offset by the fact that plenty of those college students also drive for Uber.
Not in the Boston area. About 60 colleges and universities in about a 10 mile radius. 200K+ students, many who come from very affluent backgrounds, especially in the city (Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Northeastern). They pretty much all have money. Very few do Uber from what I've seen.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dismal day.

Aside from Nye and the 1st, ive not driven. I think a lot of new and return drivers are putting in work so higher supply of drivers plus college winter break = no surge, gaps between rides.

I may head out this weekend for a to see if its worth my time.
The last extremely good day ive had was thanksgiving eve. The last monster weekend from halloween.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In the last few years Lyft still behind Uber, but now it is opposite side, if You turn both apps on at the same time,Lyft is now getting more ping than Uber, Uber has more long-distance pick up than Lyft.
Uber is playing a trick by offering us the quest like 30 rides for $100, on the other hand, Lyft has 3 rides for $15 and challenge rides, the best way is to run both apps, sometimes all you need is 3 rides from lyft to earn %100 easily.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
While yesterday and today were quite slow, at 4Pm today I picked up a returning college student at Logan, a sure sign that the return to normal demand is starting. Uber's quest and CTBs for this weekend' all look like the excellent numbers from pre-Christmas. Those Fridays-Sundays weekends on Uber I earned promo $$ equal to 80-90% of fares. This weekend is looking very promising to me. My concern would be is how big a hole the lack of tourists may create, I saw a lot of tourist rides in October-December.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
Not in the Boston area. About 60 colleges and universities in about a 10 mile radius. 200K+ students, many who come from very affluent backgrounds, especially in the city (Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Northeastern). They pretty much all have money. Very few do Uber from what I've seen.
I think most drivers go to community colleges and also collect food stamps.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
While yesterday and today were quite slow, at 4Pm today I picked up a returning college student at Logan, a sure sign that the return to normal demand is starting. Uber's quest and CTBs for this weekend' all look like the excellent numbers from pre-Christmas. Those Fridays-Sundays weekends on Uber I earned promo $$ equal to 80-90% of fares. This weekend is looking very promising to me. My concern would be is how big a hole the lack of tourists may create, I saw a lot of tourist rides in October-December.
I like to track the changes by Uber to determine what “phase” they are in the “rideshare business cycle”

This weekend has high quests starting at 50/70. This is a driver catnip. Take the quest email for example. The email says “select your quest to earn $490”. And to get that, you must complete 100 trips in a maximum 48 hours online in a 72 hour time block.

Combine a sexy quest with a large contingent of work from home folks, suppressed travel, reduced college attendees, and COVID crazies, you will see ZERO surge all weekend while hundreds of anorexic mice chase a massive block of cheese they have no business trying to bring home.

The sexy quest is surge suppression to reset driver expectations after months of constant surging. We are in the rationing phase. The only thing that can change this in 2022 will be a Trump style economic resurgence.

Not this b.s. about 6mm jobs added. Politicians killed 3x as many and we are feeling the pain. 6mm is a dead cat bounce at this point in time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You will be disappointed this weekend, guaranteed you on this. if you stick to Uber only.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Anyone else noticing a total lack of surge today? I went out for 3 1/2 hours and only took in about $55.00. About a quarter of which went to gas.

Maybe getting to the point where this isn't worthwhile anymore.
Park your car and wait for trips to come to you. I won’t dead mile unless it’s time to go home and I don’t want to be out there any longer. Spent a lot of the day on the North Shore. $137 (10 trips) in 6 hours. Not great by any stretch but I was only driving a little over half that time. Minimize wasting your gas this way because the trips are more spread out in Winter months.

Reactions: Jimmy44

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
You will be disappointed this weekend, guaranteed you on this. if you stick to Uber only.
You need more then one fishing line in this pond
Park your car and wait for trips to come to you. I won’t dead mile unless it’s time to go home and I don’t want to be out there any longer. Spent a lot of the day on the North Shore. $137 (10 trips) in 6 hours. Not great by any stretch but I was only driving a little over half that time. Minimize wasting your gas this way because the trips are more spread out in Winter months.
I agree

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
I like to track the changes by Uber to determine what “phase” they are in the “rideshare business cycle”

This weekend has high quests starting at 50/70. This is a driver catnip. Take the quest email for example. The email says “select your quest to earn $490”. And to get that, you must complete 100 trips in a maximum 48 hours online in a 72 hour time block.

Combine a sexy quest with a large contingent of work from home folks, suppressed travel, reduced college attendees, and COVID crazies, you will see ZERO surge all weekend while hundreds of anorexic mice chase a massive block of cheese they have no business trying to bring home.

The sexy quest is surge suppression to reset driver expectations after months of constant surging. We are in the rationing phase. The only thing that can change this in 2022 will be a Trump style economic resurgence.

Not this b.s. about 6mm jobs added. Politicians killed 3x as many and we are feeling the pain. 6mm is a dead cat bounce at this point in time.
What are you taking about? Employers are literally trying to figure out ways to retain people, due to many companies offering very flexible working arrangements.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
What are you taking about? Employers are literally trying to figure out ways to retain people, due to many companies offering very flexible working arrangements.
I commented on the behavioral strategies Uber uses to entice drivers to come out.

Why don’t you have a cup of coffee and re-read the thread.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
I commented on the behavioral strategies Uber uses to entice drivers to come out.

Why don’t you have a cup of coffee and re-read the thread.
After a year off because of Covid the Uber promotions were great for two weeks then they stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts

I think you hit it on the nose. Any drivers committing to the high tier 50- 100 trips over a short 3 day period, during the worst month of the year for rideshare, are doomed to fail. They will suppress the surge, fail their bonus, cause other drivers to fail their quest, and obliviously allow Uber to retain the lions share of their efforts/profit.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
@Veal66 has the best strategy by abstaining driving during the slow period. If Uber hadn’t knocked me offline for 5 weeks for their b.s. background check in October, I’d be doing the same.

January is normally bad. The pandemic and the PUA changed the dynamic of rideshare work the past couple years. These years should be considered outliers to the earnings norm.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
@Veal66 has the best strategy by abstaining driving during the slow period. If Uber hadn’t knocked me offline for 5 weeks for their b.s. background check in October, I’d be doing the same.

January is normally bad. The pandemic and the PUA changed the dynamic of rideshare work the past couple years. These years should be considered outliers to the earnings norm.
Rideshare 2022 is constantly changing.
You have to be aware of the changes and how they effect your driving area.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts