Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
My couch pings are way down,but on the other hand Hoss and the Cartwrights are doing great!!
After grade and middle school in the 70s, I played a lot outside, but also watched a lot of reruns of Bonanza. And the original Star Trek. Brady Bunch, Gilligan, Wild, Wild West (with Robert Conrad). Maverick with James Garner.

Anyone else noticing a total lack of surge today? I went out for 3 1/2 hours and only took in about $55.00. About a quarter of which went to gas.
Maybe getting to the point where this isn't worthwhile anymore.
Bruce, it's always dead in January. At least until the college kids come back. And we will see how that goes this year depending upon their current approach to covid (remote zoom classes?).

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After grade and middle school in the 70s, I played a lot outside, but also watched a lot of reruns of Bonanza. And the original Star Trek. Brady Bunch, Gilligan, Wild, Wild West (with Robert Conrad). Maverick with James Garner.

Bruce, it's always dead in January. At least until the college kids come back. And we will see how that goes this year depending upon their current approach to covid (remote zoom classes?).
Yeah but I made $3,000 last January despite lack of surge...

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
Anyone else noticing a total lack of surge today? I went out for 3 1/2 hours and only took in about $55.00. About a quarter of which went to gas.

Maybe getting to the point where this isn't worthwhile anymore.
You have to find the right area.
Try not chasing surges and drive in an area you enjoy.
Your volume and enjoyment will be worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Yeah but I made $3,000 last January despite lack of surge...
Well, can't help you then. I took a break starting Dec 18 and I won't be driving again until Jan 21 at the earliest.

Was that $3000 more towards the last part of the month, last year? Are you including Jan 1, 2021 (NYE)? Did you do a lot of quest and CTB then, since there was no surge? How many hours did you drive last January?

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, can't help you then. I took a break starting Dec 18 and I won't be driving again until Jan 21 at the earliest.

Was that $3000 more towards the last part of the month, last year? Are you including Jan 1, 2021 (NYE)? Did you do a lot of quest and CTB then, since there was no surge? How many hours did you drive last January?
No actually it was quite steady from November 2020 right through the spring of 2021.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
well it’s been really dead

I have not seen it so slow in 6 years
My average jan was about $3500

this year it seems like
About $1800 with killing my self or maybe $1000

posting 2020 1099 k to show
Font Parallel Rectangle Slope Logo

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
well it’s been really dead

I have not seen it so slow in 6 years
My average jan was about $3500

this year it seems like
About $1800 with killing my self or maybe $1000

posting 2020 1099 k to show View attachment 637457
I would chalk up this new Covid Variant for most of your lower numbers.
If Covid is under control this time next year then the comparison's will be more in line year to year month to month.
The first half of 2022 is going to be very rough for drivers.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would chalk up this new Covid Variant for most of your lower numbers.
If Covid is under control this time next year then the comparison's will be more in line year to year month to month.
The first half of 2022 is going to be very rough for drivers.
Perhaps, but I started driving at the height of the pandemic in late 2020 and was never without a rider.
Another possibility is that a lot of the drivers who had stopped driving and were collecting PUA are now back out on the roads. Supply and demand.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
Perhaps, but I started driving at the height of the pandemic in late 2020 and was never without a rider.
Another possibility is that a lot of the drivers who had stopped driving and were collecting PUA are now back out on the roads. Supply and demand.
Yes your points are well taken and I'm sure are part of the variables bringing your earnings down.
I took a year off 2020 until the vaccine was approved.
When I came back I ran both Uber and Lyft.
To my surprise Lyft had become more popular with riders after my year off.
As a result I drive exclusively with Lyft.

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
At least some of that increased demand is offset by the fact that plenty of those college students also drive for Uber.
This is very true.
I see them in my area since I have returned to driving.
They are definitely taking market share.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes your points are well taken and I'm sure are part of the variables bringing your earnings down.
I took a year off 2020 until the vaccine was approved.
When I came back I ran both Uber and Lyft.
To my surprise Lyft had become more popular with riders after my year off.
As a result I drive exclusively with Lyft.
I used to run both apps at once; then when I got a ping on one, I'd shut off the other. Might resume doing that.
I guess I have to be grateful that ridesharing is not my only source of income, as it was a year ago. I'd be screwed...

·
Premium Member
2017 Toyota Prius
3,780 Posts
I used to run both apps at once; then when I got a ping on one, I'd shut off the other. Might resume doing that.
I guess I have to be grateful that ridesharing is not my only source of income, as it was a year ago. I'd be screwed...
Yes give it a shot that's what I did and went with the one that put the most money in my pocket in my case Lyft.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts