Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Gadget Map
Give me some ideas guys - why would UBER go to the trouble of programming different Surge/Activity areas for 2 Black cars in the same spot?

At Elvis Pizza tonight demolishing their yummy pizza with my driver. We turned both our Uber iPhones on and there were very clear differences in the activity areas on the screen. iPhones side by side. Here are the screen shots

World Map Font Rectangle Pattern

At a different time

So why would UBER send differant info to different drivers?

chi1cabby Tx rides Realityshark Optimus Uber what do you guys think.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
Hmm!
You might be onto something Uber nefarious! I believe UberXTampa has been observing something similar.
I have observed so many times my fare being stolen from me when I was working the airport.
At the airport it can be seen undisputedly.
Especially when you are in short term parking and observe approaching cars disappear from rider app while I am closest and don't get the ping.
That's the only reason I stopped going there. I think there is a pecking order and some drivers get better fares than others based on whatever criteria uber is using. No better place than airport to observe this.
You might have better car maybe? Higher rating as well? Who knows what uber algorithm does but I know it favors some of us over others.
We definitely need more info on this from paired Drivers taking screenshots, along with how long each Driver has been Driving, their Rating etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a thought: One phone is on Telstra, one is Optus. Maybe the cell towers are different and there is some weird 3G triangulation thingy that is manifested at that level of zoomed out map.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
One phone is on Telstra, one is Optus. Maybe the cell towers are different and there is some weird 3G triangulation thingy that is manifested at that level of zoomed out map.
Cell phone models, phone towers or phone companies should not matter, as it's exactly the same Uber data being processed and displayed on exactly the same Uber Partner App.

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
View attachment 11036 Give me some ideas guys - why would UBER go to the trouble of programming different Surge/Activity areas for 2 Black cars in the same spot?

At Elvis Pizza tonight demolishing their yummy pizza with my driver. We turned both our Uber iPhones on and there were very clear differences in the activity areas on the screen. iPhones side by side. Here are the screen shots

View attachment 11035
At a different time

chi1cabby Tx rides Realityshark Optimus Uber what do you guys think.
How long were the phones showing the difference in surge?

My girl friends phone and mine does this occasionally. It happens because one of the phones is lagging on updating the screen or maybe it hasn't received the signal yet from uber to update the screen.

Maybe uber is slow in updating all the phones at the same time. In my situation the difference doesn't last more than 5 minutes before they sync back up to current.

My assumption is its a server lag on getting the phones that are currently online, updated

We both use the 4G phone that uber provides.

But I have noticed it over here as well.

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
Cell phone models, phone towers or phone companies should not matter, as it's exactly the same Uber data being processed and displayed on exactly the same Uber Partner App.
If I see my car on Rider app correctly represented at exact location I am, and I see a far away car approaching and as it enters the terminal it disappears, and another .... and cars around me disappear in random order, and I can't figure the method to the madness other than either feel extremely unlucky or being filtered out for whatever reason... I choose to believe less in luck and more in intentional throttling of some drivers for whatever criteria there is.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How long were the phones showing the difference in surge?

My girl friends phone and mine does this occasionally. It happens because one of the phones is lagging on updating the screen or maybe it hasn't received the signal yet from uber to update the screen.

Maybe uber is slow in updating all the phones at the same time. In my situation the difference doesn't last more than 5 minutes before they sync back up to current.

My assumption is its a server lag on getting the phones that are currently online, updated

We both use the 4G phone that uber provides.

But I have noticed it over here as well.
The screens never synced up over the 10 minutes we watched. The activity zones changed for the two phones

The only difference is that the drivers rating is 4.78 and mine is 4.68.

Are you theorising that different batches of phones are controlled by different servers? That would explain different dissemination of information if the servers were fed the different heat zone info.

Another reason not to give heat zones any real thought

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just a thought: One phone is on Telstra, one is Optus. Maybe the cell towers are different and there is some weird 3G triangulation thingy that is manifested at that level of zoomed out map.
It's the data feed that is different- why UBER chooses to give different drivers different info only they can answer.

We do know they employ heat zones and surges in pursuit of "fleet manipulation". This is a real crude form of resource control. Without any concern to running costs they hope to draw required resources towards areas UBERs data history and Rider App logins indicate greater demand.

We all know that most times the algorithms the propeller heads develop are plain wrong!

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey UberLou what's your slant on the different heat maps for two black cars at the same place?

Anyone who's meeting up with a another driver in the next few days please observe and verify if UBER is feeding different info to cars on the same platform

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Hey UberLou what's your slant on the different heat maps for two black cars at the same place?

Anyone who's meeting up with a another driver in the next few days please observe and verify if UBER is feeding different info to cars on the same platform
I agree with chi, I would like to know their ratings. It has always been my position (most disagree) that Uber feeds better/more rides to higher rated drivers with 500+ trips logged. It is Uber's way of ensuring great service to riders. I can tell you from experience that I'll be sitting by a group of other drivers (that I know) and I will get a ping, come back they will still be there and I will get pinged again. My rating was 4.95 and they had 4.6 and 4.7. All of us with at least 600 completed trips. I really believe they build ratings into their algorithms.

·
Banned
9,012 Posts
The screens never synced up over the 10 minutes we watched. The activity zones changed for the two phones

The only difference is that the drivers rating is 4.78 and mine is 4.68.

Are you theorising that different batches of phones are controlled by different servers? That would explain different dissemination of information if the servers were fed the different heat zone info.

Another reason not to give heat zones any real thought
I'm not sure what to believe is fact

I do know that my girlfriends phone will get an uber update 2 days before mine.

So maybe they are on different servers and one server got updated and the other server had issue updating.

For me all those colors are pointless unless it's read.

Yellow means there are no cars of that type in a certain area of that zone. But no demand for it

Orange means there is at least one person looking for a car in a cetain area of that zone.

Red of course there is multiple demand.

I always use the passenger app to verify if the zone is under surge.

I don't chase the surge, if it happens in my area cool. But we all know if we go chasing what happens.

If I were going to guess, my assumption are the two accounts are on different servers. One had been updated and one was lagging behind. That's the best I can come up with.

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I agree with chi, I would like to know their ratings. It has always been my position (most disagree) that Uber feeds better/more rides to higher rated drivers with 500+ trips logged. It is Uber's way of ensuring great service to riders. I can tell you from experience that I'll be sitting by a group of other drivers (that I know) and I will get a ping, come back they will still be there and I will get pinged again. My rating was 4.95 and they had 4.6 and 4.7. All of us with at least 600 completed trips. I really believe they build ratings into their algorithms.
That's interesting you say that. Part of my experiment between mouthfuls of pizza was to then get my other phone and request a Black car.

Pin was placed about two streets from us and the two driver Apps were beside each other. A third driver was offered the job! So cancelled him and tried again and my drivers App went off - the one with the lower rating

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not sure what to believe is fact

I do know that my girlfriends phone will get an uber update 2 days before mine.

So maybe they are on different servers and one server got updated and the other server had issue updating.

For me all those colors are pointless unless it's read.

Yellow means there are no cars of that type in a certain area of that zone. But no demand for it

Orange means there is at least one person looking for a car in a cetain area of that zone.

Red of course there is multiple demand.

I always use the passenger app to verify if the zone is under surge.

I don't chase the surge, if it happens in my area cool. But we all know if we go chasing what happens.

If I were going to guess, my assumption are the two accounts are on different servers. One had been updated and one was lagging behind. That's the best I can come up with.
You may be onto something there, because I logged out and checked the version they were both on (see below)

Telephony Portable communications device Communication Device Mobile phone Gadget

As you can see both are on the same version but my driver's phone had some weird 50 string identifier above his version. So there was some difference.

Yep as you say, Surges are not worth chasing, in fact if the sheep all start heading for the virtual trough and you hold your ground in an abandoned paddock I find the lack of competition increases the chance of a ping.

·
Registered
295 Posts
This is suss. Like, seriously. Why would two phones, side by side, do this? :confused:

I think this deserves an explanation. One location, two outcomes. WTF? o_O
_

·
Registered
7,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is suss. Like, seriously. Why would two phones, side by side, do this? :confused:

I think this deserves an explanation. One location, two outcomes. WTF? o_O
_
Uber is at real risk of getting way too smart for their own good. These coding monkeys are playing games with people, their livelihoods and their trust.

Uber has list so much credibility out there, if drivers start seeing differences between phones in heat maps they'll lose all trust in the system. Believing some drivers are being favoured whilst others sent on costly wild goose chases.

I'm gonna head down to the Uber Office tomorrow with my Dad's mobility scooter, see if I can get it on the UBERX fleet so I can get X on the App and show other drivers the different heat maps for different drivers. It will be clear that Uber favours some drivers

·
Registered
295 Posts
My rating was 4.95
Holy Moly, hats off to you UberLou, that is a dyno-mite score! Jeez... what do you lace your mints with? :p

It has always been my position (most disagree) that Uber feeds better/more rides to higher rated drivers with 500+ trips logged. It is Uber's way of ensuring great service to riders. I can tell you from experience that I'll be sitting by a group of other drivers (that I know) and I will get a ping, come back they will still be there and I will get pinged again. My rating was 4.95 and they had 4.6 and 4.7. All of us with at least 600 completed trips. I really believe they build ratings into their algorithms.
This is interesting stuff. It just might tie in to this 'two-screens, two-zones' thing. Something is going on here, this different screen thing is dodgy. It makes you wonder, if this is the case, then what else is the case? How many little tweeks, little games, little tricks are going on with this app? Somewhere in Uber-land, someone knows the answer. I don't know if it's WikiLeaks material, but it would be a good read nonetheless. Enquiring minds wanna know...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Uber is at real risk of getting way too smart for their own good. These coding monkeys are playing games with people, their livelihoods and their trust.

Uber has list so much credibility out there, if drivers start seeing differences between phones in heat maps they'll lose all trust in the system. Believing some drivers are being favoured whilst others sent on costly wild goose chases.

I'm gonna head down to the Uber Office tomorrow with my Dad's mobility scooter, see if I can get it on the UBERX fleet so I can get X on the App and show other drivers the different heat maps for different drivers. It will be clear that Uber favours some drivers
That is indeed what is happening. Had a Pax telling me that I was not showing up, parked in same spot for 20mins, cars all around on the pax app, none would accept. This went on for a good 10mins plus before I suddenly appeared on his app even thought I had been sitting 400m down the road the whole time. I will also add that I was by far the closest to him the whole time. The others were 5mins away

1 - 20 of 20 Posts