Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HA! Is this how they will keep people from not accepting pools? Maybe I shouldn't have updated my app. Ever wonder why they do so many updates? They're screwing us, from ping priority, to no pings on hourly. to these LAME free pool rides for riders...and now logged off after my first request wasn't accepted haha - this is a joke!

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
HA! Is this how they will keep people from not accepting pools? Maybe I shouldn't have updated my app. Ever wonder why they do so many updates? They're screwing us, from ping priority, to no pings on hourly. to these LAME free pool rides for riders...and now logged off after my first request wasn't accepted haha - this is a joke!
How long did they log you off for?

·
Banned
27 Posts
It only took them seven years and (some estimates say) up to half a $ billion in annual losses to finally put some smarts in their app. What do you expect? Of course Uber will want to use its technology to incentivize us drivers to behave like the company wants (and needs) it. It's no different than Pavlov and his dogs: Uber pings (or rings a bell), we jump. Uber pays 2.2x, we jump on every ride, no surge or darn shortie be damned. You don't pick up pool? Bad dog. You get a time out.
Don't like to be treated like a dog? Don't drive for a company that will (eventually, when they get rid of all the morons in their ranks) perfect its technology to treat you like one. The difference between us and dogs is we have free will. You have no excuse.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
It only took them seven years and (some estimates say) up to half a $ billion in annual losses to finally put some smarts in their app. What do you expect? Of course Uber will want to use its technology to incentivize us drivers to behave like the company wants (and needs) it. It's no different than Pavlov and his dogs: Uber pings (or rings a bell), we jump. Uber pays 2.2x, we jump on every ride, no surge or darn shortie be damned. You don't pick up pool? Bad dog. You get a time out.
Don't like to be treated like a dog? Don't drive for a company that will (eventually, when they get rid of all the morons in their ranks) perfect its technology to treat you like one. The difference between us and dogs is we have free will. You have no excuse.
You might be scolding the wrong dog. This one knows the ropes pretty good

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Weren't they talking about doing an automatic accepting of the 2nd and 3rd pings on pool? I thought I saw something about that last week but I ignored a couple of them since and there was nothing different

·
Banned
27 Posts
You might be scolding the wrong dog. This one knows the ropes pretty good
I wasn't scolding anyone. I was trying to say that the app finally starts to work like you would expect it to work for a company valued at 60bn $. So it's not a joke, it's starting to show what it ultimately will be.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I wasn't scolding anyone. I was trying to say that the app finally starts to work like you would expect it to work for a company valued at 60bn $. So it's not a joke, it's starting to show what it ultimately will be.
Well you'd like to think the a $60b company had a TELEPHONE NUMBER you could call too but...

·
Banned
27 Posts
Well you'd like to think the a $60b company had a TELEPHONE NUMBER you could call too but...
I think you're mistaken. It's actually sort of rational for them to teach us NOT to rely on them at all. It's much cheaper if they cut out any (manual) transaction costs with us (we drivers are their customers just like pax are). I serve myself up as a good example: there is zero point for me in contacting any Uber rep (I know 100x more than the individual I'd be communicating with; it's nothing but a total waste of my time). I'm experienced enough now to muddle through on my own, pay my 25% commission to Uber, and cause them zero costs or headaches. I was off Uber, but now dabble again for a little bit, so they haven't scared me off either by treating me like a smuck. I am quite the dog.

Given that their customer service effort is so absolutely and unapologetically dismal, I truly think that's wholly intentional.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hey Everyone
I have a question, I accepted another lame pool when I had one in the car and was in route. But I have a question, what if a pool PAX has more than one person in their party? I had picked up this lady who had herself and a baby that needed a car seat and her mother but she only listed just herself?
There was no room for another PAX as I can only take two PAX in back and one in front. Any ideas?

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
Hey Everyone
I have a question, I accepted another lame pool when I had one in the car and was in route. But I have a question, what if a pool PAX has more than one person in their party? I had picked up this lady who had herself and a baby that needed a car seat and her mother but she only listed just herself?
There was no room for another PAX as I can only take two PAX in back and one in front. Any ideas?
Official uber policy is tell them to order an X vehicle. I am 100% in favor of it. Pool customers are asked when they order the ride how many are in their party. If they lie, they're only doing it to be cheap

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
I think you're mistaken. It's actually sort of rational for them to teach us NOT to rely on them at all. It's much cheaper if they cut out any (manual) transaction costs with us (we drivers are their customers just like pax are). I serve myself up as a good example: there is zero point for me in contacting any Uber rep (I know 100x more than the individual I'd be communicating with; it's nothing but a total waste of my time). I'm experienced enough now to muddle through on my own, pay my 25% commission to Uber, and cause them zero costs or headaches. I was off Uber, but now dabble again for a little bit, so they haven't scared me off either by treating me like a smuck. I am quite the dog.

Given that their customer service effort is so absolutely and unapologetically dismal, I truly think that's wholly intentional.
So you're driving along and your passenger starts complaining of chest pains. Looks like it might be serious. You take him to the hospital. What now?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Official uber policy is tell them to order an X vehicle. I am 100% in favor of it. Pool customers are asked when they order the ride how many are in their party. If they lie, they're only doing it to be cheap
That is what I kinda figured. What I did was I dropped the first PAX off as I was close when I received the ping then went to proceed to get the other.
By the time I was in route they cancelled. Thanks for the feed back.

·
Banned
27 Posts
So you're driving along and your passenger starts complaining of chest pains. Looks like it might be serious. You take him to the hospital. What now?
I get you're trying to create a scenario where I have to rely on Uber. This one isn't one. The fact someone is in my car doesn't make me be responsible for their health care. Once he's in the hospital, he's the hospital's problem.

But for sake of argument, let's assume I get broadsided with a pax in the car and pax is hurt. This is an instance where I trust to be true what others on this board corroborated: in such cases Uber's reputation is at stake and Uber itself has liability (through James River), so in that one instance they will have someone competent interact with you, personally. Is there liability for myself in a situation like that? Yes. I'm operating as an independent contractor and have liability myself. Is there a way to avoid it? Yes. Don't drive for Uber.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts