Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, first morning rush hour of the year pretty much sucked. Barely worth my time only because of an $18 Lyft Streak and a matching $18 Uber CT. And maybe because of the cold temps. Grossed $134 from 4 am - 9:30 am. And this was with very few drivers out. I must have declined 15 long pickups.

I didn't have super high hopes this morning because I figured there'd be very little airport related demand, but one thing I wasn't aware of is that in the past couple of weeks, due to Omicron, many downtown offices have switched back to working from home. Every pax I dropped in the Loop said something like "yeah my office is encouraging everyone to work from home but I just want/like/need to go in to the office".

When I went to my GF's house in Edgewater afterwards around 9:40 am there weren't many spots available on the street and I had to park way down the block. Usually at that time on a Monday morning there are lots of empty spots right in front due to people having commuted to their office.

I'm not doing morning rush again until maybe Thursday morning, if that. Does anyone have any insight about when most people will start going back to the office again? Will this continue for weeks? Months?

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
So, first morning rush hour of the year pretty much sucked. Barely worth my time only because of an $18 Lyft Streak and a matching $18 Uber CT. And maybe because of the cold temps. Grossed $134 from 4 am - 9:30 am. And this was with very few drivers out. I must have declined 15 long pickups.

I didn't have super high hopes this morning because I figured there'd be very little airport related demand, but one thing I wasn't aware of is that in the past couple of weeks, due to Omicron, many downtown offices have switched back to working from home. Every pax I dropped in the Loop said something like "yeah my office is encouraging everyone to work from home but I just want/like/need to go in to the office".

When I went to my GF's house in Edgewater afterwards around 9:40 am there weren't many spots available on the street and I had to park way down the block. Usually at that time on a Monday morning there are lots of empty spots right in front due to people having commuted to their office.

I'm not doing morning rush again until maybe Thursday morning, if that. Does anyone have any insight about when most people will start going back to the office again? Will this continue for weeks? Months?
I drove a couple of people today that said their offices were closed today for the holiday, but most who are working go in Tuesday to Thursday. You can also add in that close to 2000 flights were cancelled at ohare from Saturday until today and some amount at midway. You would think there would be a lot of people trying to catch rebooked flights but I’ve had one trip to the airport out of about 60 trips since Thursday that weren’t on dfs. I think Uber is having system issues as they were sending requests Saturday and Sunday for pickups in the west loop and uptown when o was around north and clyborne and the maps have been messed up.

The streets around Lincoln park lakeview and wicker had less cars today than over the weekend. So I think a lot of locals are still gone and a lot of the cars over the weekend were people that came in town for New Years

Tuesday morning traffic will let us know if people are predominately working from home. On most of them since Labor Day it has been 45-90 minutes from ohare to downtown in the morning. If it’s less than that is probably a decent indication that people aren’t going to the office.

I’ll also say that I had quite a few pickups from bus stops and train stations over the past few days as customers said busses and trains were more than 20 minutes away And bus stops along Sheridan and lsd yester allhad a lot of people waiting. I’m thinking the cta had to cut the frequency due bus and train driver having Covid

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
So Anthony is seems like few went into the office today. Ohare to downtown this morning was a shade over 30 minutes and the reverse is less than 25 right now. I turned on the pp around 830 this morning and didn’t get a request for about an hour in Lincoln park. I try en turned on eats and maybe one request was paying more the $20/hr, most were sub $10.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I wonder how many of those quitting were working 2 part time jobs for a full time job.

on another note the CTU is voting to shut schools down later tonight

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
I wonder how quitting numbers correlate with growing hunger numbers. Food banks are empty and saying they need billions to satisfy demand.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I wonder how quitting numbers correlate with growing hunger numbers. Food banks are empty and saying they need billions to satisfy demand.
Good question. I wonder why there are somewhere in the ballpark of 4 mln more job openings than people who are unemployed. My guess is it’s twofold. They job openings are always a couple of months lagging and people don’t put apples to apple. Also that a lot of them are part time jobs with no benefits and poor pay, but if they were converted to 40 hr work week hours it probably is similar to the number of people that are unemployed

·
Premium Member
4,356 Posts
Same here. I drove down Milwaukee to Fullerton then turned around and went home.
Evening rush was DEAD

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
I think it’s going to be dead until the weekend at a minimum. I turned on both Uber and lyft a while ago. No surges really anywhere on Uber only a few small orange demand areas on lyft even at 830. Ohare to the loop was 25 minutes and a bit less back out.

Other factors are the Covid positivity rate was up to 23% yesterday. The. teachers voted for on line learning as the numbers are high so the city canceled schools. At midway over 30% of todays flights have been cancelled.

it seems to me the entire state pretty much shut down in the Past when the positivity rate went over 7-8%. So I guess it’s fortunate that the city isn’t shut down. The vaccine mandates to do certain things may help a bit but the shortfall is that employee don’t have to be vaccinated ( many bars and restaurants have made it mandatory for employees).

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Went banya yesterday. Or to bunya, bonya (for Windy). Everything as usual. No masks,no vaccine cards, no questions.
Some practical advice...brother's dealership. 8 people. 7 got omicroned. Except one guy who smokes a pack day. No colds, no flus, no covids. He probably has no lungs viruses can hit)

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I think it’s going to be dead until the weekend at a minimum. I turned on both Uber and lyft a while ago. No surges really anywhere on Uber only a few small orange demand areas on lyft even at 830. Ohare to the loop was 25 minutes and a bit less back out.

Other factors are the Covid positivity rate was up to 23% yesterday. The. teachers voted for on line learning as the numbers are high so the city canceled schools. At midway over 30% of todays flights have been cancelled.

it seems to me the entire state pretty much shut down in the Past when the positivity rate went over 7-8%. So I guess it’s fortunate that the city isn’t shut down. The vaccine mandates to do certain things may help a bit but the shortfall is that employee don’t have to be vaccinated ( many bars and restaurants have made it mandatory for employees).
You are right about all the reasons for business being slow, but we can't forget that this is traditionally the worst time of the year, even in normal times.
Nothing new - here's a post from five years ago:

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Same slow Jan. This year slowness is just doubled by covid. (My Chinese cellphone doesn't know the word covid,it always changes it for vivid) Coincidence?)))

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In January and February in normal times, the rush hours can be very good to excellent if it is snowing or the streets are filled with snow or it is at least very cold. Basically if the weather is bad the money is good; if the weather is good the money is bad.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
You had the weather. Only insane will bike or walk to work in these temperatures. Nothing. So,it is not normal times obviously.

·
Premium Member
9,121 Posts
Definitely have the weather today ride requests are maybe 1 per hour at best. With nobody going out I would have thought eats would be decent but even those requests are lacking. Unles a person wants to do this trash
Ecoregion Map Font Urban design Screenshot

Water resources Light Product Map Land lot

Map Font Line Screenshot Urban design

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Wanted to to Eats in the evening but 90 percent of the pings I get are without details like these...
Nose Eyebrow Eyelash Mouth Product

1 - 20 of 80 Posts