Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an infrequent Uber user. My family and I (3 total) were stuck after a rental car incident in PA and took an Uber 94 miles to the nearest available rental car location. The fare was $147.00 and I tipped the driver $75.00. Was that a sufficient tip for a trip of that distance (and the resulting inconvenience)?

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Without the tip the driver would probably have received about in the neighborhood of $70 for 4 hours of his time and 188 miles use of his car(there and back). Depending on the type of car that could be around a tank of gas or let's say $44.

So without your tip the driver got approx $70 and paid out of pocket $44 for a net of $26 for 4 hours and 188 miles. Really bad. Your tip made a big difference to him/her.

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts
I am an infrequent Uber user. My family and I (3 total) were stuck after a rental car incident in PA and took an Uber 94 miles to the nearest available rental car location. The fare was $147.00 and I tipped the driver $75.00. Was that a sufficient tip for a trip of that distance (and the resulting inconvenience)?
🎵🎶 Holly's mom has got it goin on🎶🎵

Very nice, very generous. I'm sure your driver was very happy with your tip. Thank you!

·
Registered
199 Posts
The tip shows that you are considerate and appreciative. Just remember your fare was 147 let's assume he made half,so essentially you covered the return trip. More then fair or fare , yuk yuk. Believe it or not there are many passangers that wouldn't have tipped a dime. Of course for a trip that long I would have negotiated upfront and probably got more then 75 😀...gas is a killer right now. I would rate that tip an 8/10. Good job !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The tip shows that you are considerate and appreciative. Just remember your fare was 147 let's assume he made half,so essentially you covered the return trip. More then fair or fare , yuk yuk. Believe it or not there are many passangers that wouldn't have tipped a dime. Of course for a trip that long I would have negotiated upfront and probably got more then 75 😀...gas is a killer right now. I would rate that tip an 8/10. Good job !
I'm hoping that he could find a return trip to somewhere on that route.
Good to know that I did the right thing.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
Your kindness and generosity should deserve some recognition. Note that it is not uncommon for Uber to take half of a fare (or even more for short trips). From the $147 you paid, the driver probably only received $70 the most at base rate because we are paid a fixed rate for mileage and time. During high demand, you can be charged as much as 3 times the normal fare and depending on how greedy Uber is, a small fraction or the lack thereof will be transferred to the driver's earning. At times like this, when the cost of gasoline has further reduced the already low profitable margin, your tip has absolutely made a night and day difference for the driver because getting a trip back to the city is quite unlikely.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sweetheart, I’m certain your $75 tip on a $147 drive really made your driver’s day.
Just for reference, I routinely do rides from Tucson to Phoenix. That is a 100 mile, 1.5 hour drive and costs about $150 to the passenger. I, the driver, make about $100 off this drive. Because I get 25 MPG and gas costs about $5 per gallon in Phoenix (200/25=8 gallons = $40 cost to me), that leaves me with $60 profit, if I don’t get a passenger from Phoenix to Tucson. That leaves me with $60 for a 3 hour round trip which is $20 per hour. I usually get a $30 tip. $60+$30=$90/3= $30 per hour.
Assuming the same for the driver (similar mileage/time/fuel cost/no return passenger), $100 pay-$40 fuel+$75 tip = $135. $135/3hours = $45 per hour.
Bless your heart!

·
Registered
761 Posts
If that driver get that whole tip money ?
Naw , I doubt that. Remember , UBER STEALS TIPS . 😒🤐

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
I don't know how much of a cut Uber takes in every market, but here in Florida it goes like this. I recently took a trip from the airport 60 miles down the coast to the town of Miramar Beach The pax was charged a total of $131.06 which included a $21.84 tip to me. Uber took $40.00 leaving me with $94.29, which works out to be 72% of the original fare.

Without the tip, the customer would have paid $114.96 and my cut would have been $72.45, or 63%. So while Uber is taking more than the "30%" they originally advertised, we still keep more than half.
Font Number Paper Screenshot Paper product

·
Registered
199 Posts
News flash...these numbers are completely arbitrary. They subscribe to the model of we make it up as we go. Their secret weapon is booking and service fee. Guess who doesn't get paid for that? Ill give you one guess...lol...this time you did ok..next time you may only receive 40%....

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
News flash...these numbers are completely arbitrary. They subscribe to the model of we make it up as we go. Their secret weapon is booking and service fee. Guess who doesn't get paid for that? Ill give you one guess...lol...this time you did ok...next time you may only receive 40%....
Umm, my percentages have been pretty consistent. Your mileage may vary.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts