Uber Drivers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday young lady forgot her phone in my car. She called me in a few minutes after drop off through Uber phone. I already was on the way to next 3.5x pickup. Sure, I declined her to come back. Unfortunately, I was to soft and gave her my phone to contact me later.
My 3.5x ride was from Woodland Hills to Malibu, where I got next 5.1x request. On the way to pickup she called me and said that she needs ride back and going to order me personally through Uber. I said it impossible, I am working and will work at least to midnight. She treated me that she will complain to Uber on me, because by policy I must to come back and return her phone. No way, I said. She called me again midnight and said that she is waiting for me. I told her that she put to much pressure on me and I'm not feel comfortable to return phone to her directly. I will drop off phone to Uber hub.
Now I found that Uber have an option to charge pax for delivery. See below. I woundering if anyone used this option? Just thinking maybe it will be better to get something instead deadmiling/use DF to hub?
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Document

·
Premium Member
5,131 Posts
Go to uber hub, drop off the phone and when you are there have them explain this to you so you know for next time.

As for now, screw this pax. Let her drive to the South Bay as punishment for being a jerk.

But yeah it looks like a new feature and if executed right it could be a good thing. About time uber did something about these situations.

You can reply to the pax by saying: "I was unaware of this new feature where uber will compensate me for traveling to you to deliver your lost property. The way the old system worked I would leave it at the uber hub for you to pick up. I decided to do it that way because a) it's what I am familiar with and b) you made me feel uncomfortable and I did not feel safe meeting you again."

LOLOLOL

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts
Don't be surprised if Passenger reports you for Stealing her phone. Take that thing immediately to closest Police Station and leave it there as Lost & Found. Get a receipt and send it to Uber immediately. If pax reports you Uber will put your account on Hold.

Thanks for the heads up about the 'Return Lost Item' feature in the App! :)

·
Premium Member
5,364 Posts
About time we got this. Uber is doing its part to reduce litter from drivers throwing away lost phones out the window.
It should be a $20 fee with riders being given an option to tip more. There are some that would tip $50 for getting their phone back.

·
Banned
16,573 Posts
There are those among us who may be missing the point. This is yuge! Maybe without Travis Colonic at the helm maybe Uber really is responding to drivers. I'm sure the recovered item fee will be a total joke like the waiting for pax fee but still, when have they ever offered such a thing? And tips too?

Don't be a Negative Sally. They're finally doing some things drivers have been asking for for years now. Hallelujah.

Now wait until you see all the bullshit that comes with it!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are those among us who may be missing the point. This is yuge! Maybe without Travis Colonic at the helm maybe Uber really is responding to drivers. I'm sure the recovered item fee will be a total joke like the waiting for pax fee but still, when have they ever offered such a thing? And tips too?

Don't be a Negative Sally. They're finally doing some things drivers have been asking for for years now. Hallelujah.

Here is what Uber saying to pax. I sent it to her.
Product Azure Font Line Aqua

·
Registered
344 Posts
I always charge a 50 dollar return fee. If they dont like it they can report it to lyft and i can mail it to them or they can come pick up the item on my conviece when i am home.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Don't be surprised if Passenger reports you for Stealing her phone. Take that thing immediately to closest Police Station and leave it there as Lost & Found. Get a receipt and send it to Uber immediately. If pax reports you Uber will put your account on Hold.

Thanks for the heads up about the 'Return Lost Item' feature in the App! :)
I learn it a lot from you my friend. Thank you. Help me a lot

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts

I'm guessing it will be closer to an actual trip at Base Fare.

I learn it a lot from you my friend. Thank you. Help me a lot
That said, I've never done this...just read on here that others have. lol

I have been fortunate enough to catch every phone (maybe 10) that have been left in my ride, before passenger gets away.

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
Yesterday young lady forgot her phone in my car. She called me in a few minutes after drop off through Uber phone. I already was on the way to next 3.5x pickup. Sure, I declined her to come back. Unfortunately, I was to soft and gave her my phone to contact me later.
My 3.5x ride was from Woodland Hills to Malibu, where I got next 5.1x request. On the way to pickup she called me and said that she needs ride back and going to order me personally through Uber. I said it impossible, I am working and will work at least to midnight. She treated me that she will complain to Uber on me, because by policy I must to come back and return her phone. No way, I said. She called me again midnight and said that she is waiting for me. I told her that she put to much pressure on me and I'm not feel comfortable to return phone to her directly. I will drop off phone to Uber hub.
Now I found that Uber have an option to charge pax for delivery. See below. I woundering if anyone used this option? Just thinking maybe it will be better to get something instead deadmiling/use DF to hub? View attachment 135529
Uber is king of the gotchas though. You don't know what the "fee for lost item delivery" might be. Could be $1.50. And then, even if it were a decent amount, you'd have to fight hard against Uber support drones to get paid, and Uber would fight back very hard not to pay it. No thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a PAX leave a bottle of Bulleit Bourbon in my car that they were taking to their work Christmas Party (young lawyer). Offered me $23 if I would come back that night. I was already on a Toll road with another PAX... so sorry. $23 was not worth it for me dead mile it back to him. I told him he could get it the next day at my other job in Laguna... he said Merry Christmas in a bitter way...:mad: The few times people have left shit in my car... it was on them to get it back!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
As for phones and wallets/purses, i send these lost items to the Irvine Office, even if i drove in LA or IE, ill make them drive from there to Irvine.

Other misc stuff...its either post them up on offer up or toss them out

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Dump it at the police station the furthest from her drop off area that you can reasonably find.

Even if it's insured her deductible with the cell carrier is $150 to $200. A decent tip offer of at least $40 would be in order to make it worth your time to bring it back to her provided it's not to far.

Also, make sure if you find a phone to turn it off so it can't be tracked to your home. I've heard stories of passengers showing up at driver's house in the middle of the night to retrieve their lost phone unannounced. You aren't paid enough to deal with that...

·
Premium Member
23,299 Posts
Dump it at the police station the furthest from her drop off area that you can reasonably find.

Even if it's insured her deductible with the cell carrier is $150 to $200. A decent tip offer of at least $40 would be in order to make it worth your time to bring it back to her provided it's not to far.

Also, make sure if you find a phone to turn it off so it can't be tracked to your home. I've heard stories of passengers showing up at driver's house in the middle of the night to retrieve their lost phone unannounced. You aren't paid enough to deal with that...
iPhone still completely trackable when turned off...even battery dead...other things have to be done for it to not be trackable.

·
Registered
637 Posts
why don't these people ever think of driving to you?

Someone left their phone in my car, she lived in echo park and picked it up in Chino a few hours later. I guess her nu-des were that urgent to her.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts