Uber Drivers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it cost? What exactly does it include/cover?

I'm just trying to get an idea, you don't have to name any companies if that's against the forum rules.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

I'm just trying to get an idea, you don't have to name any companies if that's against the forum rules.
It costs me ( we are a driver owned company) $6000.00 a year, per car. We have ( counting our suburban cabs) around 300 in our fleet.

My guess is it will cost you anywhere from 8K to 10K per year for 1 million in coverage.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's too expensive for me. I don't do enough driving to justify that cost. I just have 2-3 days a week that I could do taxi work. No wonder why Uber does things illegally.
That's a lot of money to insure one car.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
That's too expensive for me. I don't do enough driving to justify that cost. I just have 2-3 days a week that I could do taxi work. No wonder why Uber does things illegally.
Uber isn't doing anything illegal, the drivers (depending on the State you live) are.

Here in Oregon, no insurance company will write you a personal policy if you admit (to them) you're going to be using you car , part time or otherwise, for commercial purposes. That's why you read on this forum from other drivers, "Do not admit to using your car for rideshare." But like I said, each State us different.

We've tried to warn drivers that just because Uber says "All is OK," doesn't make it so. We've had 4 cabs hit by Uber drivers since April ( that's when they started in Portland). All 4 drivers got cancelled by their insurance company. We've had to eat the cost of repair and replacement. These 4 drivers won't be getting good deals on insurance for a very, VERY long time.

If Uber drivers want to play taxi driver, they best make sure their butt is covered with a commercial policy. No matter if it's a part time gig, or not.

Soon it will be a State law (here in Oregon). So no matter how much, or how little you "rideshare," you'll need a 24/7-365 $1 million policy...just like cabs, Towncar, or airport shuttle drivers.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It more a matter of doing what's right, avoiding fraud. Not having proper coverage keeps you tightly under Uber's thumb for all sorts of reasons.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Uber X rates are a joke and we cannot afford commercial- its not feasible. Either take the risk or don't drive, Ive had brokers tell me that. I got a couple of quotes here, on the bare minimum which is 300k, and the cheapest broker wanted $1000 down and about 340 a mo. I do this on the weekends only- at .95 a mile, totally not realistic. We are supposed to get rideshare coverage where I live in 2016. We really don't need commercial, we need Rideshare/hybrid riders to be added to our policies. Two years now UBER has been in my state yet no damn affordable coverage for Uber drivers- it sucks. Be care ful out there and hope you don't need to file a claim. 1000's of UBER X drivers are in the same boat. You either take the risk or don't drive.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I just got a farmers quote for rideshare it would be $3200 a year for my 2008 edge .. a little pricey .. i currently pay $800 yr. My agent said the insurance company doesn't really know how to price rideshare for Uber.... the difference between someone who drives one day versus 50 hours a week is a huge difference in liability.... I think this is going to be difficult for everyone to come up with a fair solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts